Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Haedlamp and spot lights inop.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Haedlamp and spot lights inop.

Hey all. I have a 2013 ultra limited. I replaced the bars and extended the wires myself. Yep, it's one of these posts. Everything works, except the headlight and spot lights won't come on. I did check all of the fuses and they're good. I checked the connectors and they seem to be all connected. I'm out of ideas. Any body have any thoughts? I did try to follow the wiring diagram, but I got lost. That stuff is tricky.
Thanks in advance.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:53 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,238 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Did you test the fuses or just look at them? Reason being, they can be misleading by sight and actually testing them with a tester can reveal a bad fuse.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by dawg
Did you test the fuses or just look at them? Reason being, they can be misleading by sight and actually testing them with a tester can reveal a bad fuse.
I checked them with my ohm meter. Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by whiskeyfire; 03-09-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:03 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,882 Likes on 11,605 Posts

There’s nothing more effective than a voltmeter and a wiring diagram. 2013 was before Canbus, so it should be easier to trace out. Pick a 1/2 way Point...then half split until,you find the issue.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 03-09-2019 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 10:05 PM
sechracer
Tourer
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts

So the bike will start and run? or just all the other lights come on? could have the tumblers misaligned...

Old 03-09-2019, 10:09 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by sechracer
So the bike will start and run? or just all the other lights come on? could have the tumblers misaligned...
It starts and runs. Throttle works, heated grips work, turn signals, horn, run stop stitch, brake lights and running lights all work too. Just no headlight or spot lamps.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:12 PM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
There’s nothing more effective than a voltmeter and a wiring diagram. 2013 was before Canbus, so it should be easier to trace out. Pick a 1/2 way Point...then half split until,you find the issue.
That wiring diagram in the manual confused me. I'm not great at reading those. I tried to follow the wires backwards but they combined with another wire loom and I couldn't follow them any further. I might have to do some more tear down to trace the wires. Thank you.

Last edited by whiskeyfire; 03-09-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 08:53 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser

Ok. I've been going over this wiring diagram. Can anyone say if this sounds accurate? It looks like a blue wire carries power to the hi lo switch. Then power is sent out from the switch. It seems like a thicker wire would be needed to carry power to drive the headlamp and spots.

Last edited by whiskeyfire; 03-10-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:54 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,225 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Forget wire gauges. You're getting off track. Did you remove the inner fairing cap housing that contains all your switches (fog lamp switch, speaker control switch, cruise control switch, accessory switch). If you did, did you plug in the harness?

As far as the high beam/low beam switch, there is power to that switch all the time when the ignition switch is on. Power comes through the headlight fuse (15A) from the lighting relay, initiated by the ignition switch. Did you remove the ignition switch?

Old 03-10-2019, 10:06 AM
whiskeyfire
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Forget wire gauges. You're getting off track. Did you remove the inner fairing cap housing that contains all your switches (fog lamp switch, speaker control switch, cruise control switch, accessory switch). If you did, did you plug in the harness?

As far as the high beam/low beam switch, there is power to that switch all the time when the ignition switch is on. Power comes through the headlight fuse (15A) from the lighting relay, initiated by the ignition switch. Did you remove the ignition switch?
Funny you should mention the inner fairing. Originally I did forget that harness, butter even after connecting it I still had no headlight. I did remove the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: Haedlamp and spot lights inop.