Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Help Needed Badly!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019 | 08:47 AM
gunslingersnation
|
Tourer
Default Suspension Help Needed Badly!

I was going to post this in the Tech section, but it doesn't seem to get as many responses. Here is my issue...Im overweight (275), and ride 50 miles each way to work on my 19 SGS. Ive adjusted the preload to numerous settings and either bottom out or ride like a hardtail. I need to buy some aftermarket shocks. My understanding is that the SGS has an 11" rear shock setup vs the standard 12". That lowered look doesn't bother me one way or another. Whats your vote on the best shock for my fat butt...Progressive 944s or Revo Legend? Heavy Duty or no? 11" or 12"? I know this is a lot for a single post but my back is hurting so bad, I can barely walk around the house.

Old 03-09-2019 | 08:57 AM
Budda109
Road Captain

There are tons of shock posts. Preference varies widely. I have Ohlins love them. The shorter the shock the shorter the stroke which affects comfort. A standard shock is I think 13.5 maybe. Depending on the money you want to spend I am sure you can keep the look and ride in comfort. Do a few searches on the forum. Also at that weight if you went to 12's I believe when you sit on the bike it should still settle out at a nice high because of sag. Shocks to shop that I have looked at are Legends,Progressives ,Ohlins and many more. Ride safe.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:11 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

Use the search and you will find plenty of reading, I just bought some proaction shocks from DK Custom, a sponsor here, and I really like them. Standard bagger shocks are 13" They can hook you up with a longer shock and a lowering block if you want to maintain the height but gain some shock travel.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:13 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

I’m a bit heavier than you. I’d definitely get a 13” shock, once you set the sag, you’ll ride at the same height. Pro Action’s thru DK Customs is your best bet for many reasons.

And Heres a pic of what could possibly be coming from those guys if you want a seperated shock....

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:13 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Ohlins, Pro Action, Bitubo, Legend, , any of these will Improve you ride quality.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:20 AM
TriDan
Cruiser

I'm 265 and ride basically every day. I also ride two up for weekend rides in other states with luggage.

Progressive 944 13" is what I've used on my last two bikes and I swear by them.

I've got Heavy Duty now and two up with luggage I still have a line (out of 4) showing after setting the sag. I would imagine the Super Duty ones would put you alone about one mark up with three more available for baggage.

They sit like 12" shocks so I don't end up ripping out the seat seam getting off and on where my foot drags across the seat either.

I've also put the progressive front end lowering kit in to drop it 1" I love this setup.

https://www.progressivesuspension.co...tra-low-shocks

I've bottomed out only two up, fully loaded, going about 25 MPH over a speed bump. Oops. Other than that no problems.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:26 AM
SWThomas
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

I have a set of 13” Ohlins for sale in the classified section if you’re interested.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ng-shocks.html

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:44 AM
skydude426
Club Member

I’ve had Progressive 944’s and I now have Legend Revo’s.
The Legend shocks are by far my choice between the two. A much better ride.
I suggest calling Legend Suspension and talking to them about your concerns. That’s what I did. They will set you up with the right shock and right length. They are a good American small business.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:54 AM
Softy 103
Banned

Originally Posted by gunslingersnation
I was going to post this in the Tech section, but it doesn't seem to get as many responses. Here is my issue...Im overweight (275), and ride 50 miles each way to work on my 19 SGS. Ive adjusted the preload to numerous settings and either bottom out or ride like a hardtail. I need to buy some aftermarket shocks. My understanding is that the SGS has an 11" rear shock setup vs the standard 12". That lowered look doesn't bother me one way or another. Whats your vote on the best shock for my fat butt...Progressive 944s or Revo Legend? Heavy Duty or no? 11" or 12"? I know this is a lot for a single post but my back is hurting so bad, I can barely walk around the house.
I think the Streetglide Special has 12" shocks not 11", but these guys are right, the longer the shock the more travel you will have.I like the looks of my bike the way it sits now, so if I change out my shocks I will go with Pro-Action 13" and maybe 1" lowering blocks to keep things the same.

Old 03-09-2019 | 09:58 AM
kel03
Seasoned HDF Member

Here we go again with shocks !

Quick Reply: Suspension Help Needed Badly!