Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rushmore fender on 2013 Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2019 | 04:33 PM
clintox
|
Advanced
Default Rushmore fender on 2013 Street Glide?

Some wet turd destroyed my front fender at lunch today and didn't leave a note. Since I already did a wheel swap I was thinking I might as well get a Rushmore fender. Is this a pretty easy swap with an adapter or something? Do I need 2014 lower legs too? I tried a forum search and I'm either too impatient or too pissed off to find any meaningful results.

Old 03-07-2019 | 05:41 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

my understand is the rushmore forks/front end is very different. different diameter fork legs. if you found a deal on one it might be worth trying but if you're paying full price get what you know will fit.

Old 03-08-2019 | 05:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

You can compare the details of both fender and fork slider, for the two models, on a parts website. The way the later fender is mounted is different, as are the fitting points on the slider, although that doesn't mean that a little imagination can't get around that!

Old 03-08-2019 | 06:20 AM
riotron
Advanced

You can make it work, you need to remove the nut (I used a grinder) on the inside of the 2014 up fender mounts and enlarge the mounting hole. You will all need 3/8' spacers between the leg and the fender - I did this when I swapped a paint set from my 2017 to my 2012 Road King before I sold it. I think it came out pretty nice - there is a picture of it in my winter project posted here on the forum earlier this week.

The following users liked this post:
clintox (03-24-2019)
Old 03-08-2019 | 07:16 AM
clintox
|
Advanced

Originally Posted by riotron
You can make it work, you need to remove the nut (I used a grinder) on the inside of the 2014 up fender mounts and enlarge the mounting hole. You will all need 3/8' spacers between the leg and the fender - I did this when I swapped a paint set from my 2017 to my 2012 Road King before I sold it. I think it came out pretty nice - there is a picture of it in my winter project posted here on the forum earlier this week.
Thanks for the info! Your bike came out great!

When enlarging the fender holes, did you have to increase the diameter or change the shape of the hole to get the bolts closer together? And after you ground the nuts off, what tool did you use to enlarge the holes?

Old 03-08-2019 | 07:35 AM
riotron
Advanced

I used a drill bit to elongate them so the bolts would line up to the legs - its not perfect, but not bad, then painted them to prevent any rusting...

clintox (03-24-2019)
Old 03-08-2019 | 08:01 AM
clintox
|
Advanced

Thank you so much! I now have enough info that I am comfortable buying a 14+ fender to mod.

Old 03-08-2019 | 11:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Talking

Originally Posted by clintox
Thank you so much! I now have enough info that I am comfortable buying a 14+ fender to mod.
Great news! We like pics, especially of a finished 'project', when all is done.....

Old 03-24-2019 | 07:51 PM
clintox
|
Advanced

Today, I successfully installed a brand new fender (2018 pull-off from dealer I think) on my 2013 Street Glide. HUGE thanks to riotron for the advice.

It took me maybe 4-5 hours given my abilities, spreading it over two days, trips to hardware store, etc.

I bought a five pack of these saw bits on Amazon to elongate the fender holes.

Here's the new hardware all found at my local ACE. (Do not re-use the stock washers as they will deform to the irregular holes.)

8 x Grade 8 Flat Washers (I painted them black)
4 x Grade 8 Lock Washers
4 x Chrome Spacers/Collars (behind counter at ACE)
4 x 5/16-18 1-1/2 Grade 8 Collared Bolts

I ground down the thread inserts on the outer tabs and used the saw bit to elongate the mounting holes.

I also had to grind off the nuts on the inside of the tabs. Believe me, I tried to to avoid this, but I was getting nowhere.

VHT epoxy paint is AWESOME.

It matches the Vivid Black very nicely.

Here's a close up of the finished product. The fender looks kind of scratched, but it's just a weird reflection.

And there she is, a brand new fender on a pre-Rushmore Street Glide. Now, if I had chrome lower legs and black talon wheels I would really by styling!

The following 3 users liked this post by clintox:
lp (01-31-2024), mike131 (02-01-2024), Rob Harper (01-31-2024)
Old 03-25-2019 | 07:26 AM
riotron
Advanced

Looks great! You are correct - I also couldn't get around having to grind off the nuts on the back of the fender on the 2 non-Rushmore bike I installed a Rushmore fender on....

clintox (03-25-2019)

Quick Reply: Rushmore fender on 2013 Street Glide?