Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you 5'7" or less with a Street Glide and a lowered seat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:16 PM
dionne51
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are you 5'7" or less with a Street Glide and a lowered seat?

Looking to have my stock '07 SG seat modified this winter to reduce the width slightly in the front and lower me a little bit to get better hold with my feet on the ground. As is I can just barely flat foot but I have to try like hell.
Wondering if Mean City Cycles seat mods met your expectations with respect to lowering you without losing seat comfort. I already know that they do high quality work so that is not in question here, just whether or not the changes in riding position/comfort were as noticeable as expected.

D

Old 07-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Ron H
Cruiser
Default RE: Are you 5'7" or less with a Street Glide and a lowered seat?

I'm 5'7" with a 28" inseam. I had Allen mod my Street Glide seat. He lowered me a couple of inches and moved me forward an inch, while adding his memory foam. I am very pleased with his work, and the seat is very comfortable.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 PM
dionne51
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply, I was starting to think I was the only short SOB out here.

D

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
GlennsGlide
Cruiser

I like you suffer from ducks desease ( *** is to close to the ground ) I purchased a genuine HD Reach seat 1.5" lower & 1.5" forward and only used it once on account that the lack of padding caused the family jewels to go num ( I'm not kidding ) What ever you do don't go cheap it isn't worth it.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:55 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm only 5' 5" with a 28" in seam. I also ride a Street Glide. I bought a Road King solo seat and had it modified by Allen for the very purpose that you are describing. Although I can attest to the quality of the work as many here have, unfortunately it didn't get me the flat footed position I was looking for. I have a C&C Sport Tour seat and Allen's modification put me no closer to the ground than the C&C seat. In general it's not how low the seat is but rather how vertical I can get my legs. Both the C&C seat and the Road King seat spread my legs too much for me to reach the ground. I decided to modify the C&C seat my self and using an electric carving knife carefully shaved down the thigh area of the seat as much as I could. This helped some, but still not flat foot. I runthe Draggin' Baggersair suspension on my bike and I can lower it enough that I can get flat footed, however at that height there is very little downward travel and the shocks bottom out. I don't know if one of the more expensive systems would be any better so I'm wary of spending the cash. I've pretty much come to the conclusion that my only solution is to either have an additional 1/2" added to the heels of my boots or try to find a pair of boots with a higher heel than what I currently have.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:56 AM
bdjhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GlennsGlide

I like you suffer from ducks desease ( *** is to close to the ground ) I purchased a genuine HD Reach seat 1.5" lower & 1.5" forward and only used it once on account that the lack of padding caused the family jewels to go num ( I'm not kidding ) What ever you do don't go cheap it isn't worth it.
I also tried the Reach seat. It was very uncomfortable and I sold it within a week of putting it on the bike.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:27 AM
JMN68
Novice

I am just a hair taller at 5' 8" and Ihave the close soloseat from Corbin on my Streetglide. I have put over 15,000 miles on the seat and have been very happy.I haveCorbins on my other bikes and have been impressed with them forthe last ten years.If you really want custom, go to their factory with your bike and they will fita saddleto your liking.

Old 07-07-2007, 07:20 AM
SGChick
Tourer

I'm 5"4" with a 29 inch inseam. I have the corbin close solo that moves me up and lowered me quite a bit. Recently I had the touring front lowering kit (54628-04)added to my street glide and it lowered me about an inch or so more. Definitely helped me alot!

Old 07-07-2007, 09:13 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: dionne51

Looking to have my stock '07 SG seat modified this winter to reduce the width slightly in the front and lower me a little bit to get better hold with my feet on the ground. As is I can just barely flat foot but I have to try like hell.
Wondering if Mean City Cycles seat mods met your expectations with respect to lowering you without losing seat comfort. I already know that they do high quality work so that is not in question here, just whether or not the changes in riding position/comfort were as noticeable as expected.

D
Ihad a student take my Ride Like A Pro course a couple of weeks ago, and she was 5/6" and rode a street glide. She had that bike modified so she could flat foot it. It fit here really well, so I know it can be done. She'd be more than happy to tell you all the modifications she did to lower it. Her name is Gail and she's very active in Women Who Ride, and has logged more miles than most people brag about. If you'd like to ask her about her modifications, send me an e-mail and I will forward it to her.

Send the email to: mark@ridelikeaprowestcoast.com

Mark
www.ridelikeaprowestcoast.com

Old 07-08-2007, 03:20 AM
Ron H
Cruiser

I should add that I also had my bike lowered another inch in the rear. In boots, I am able to flat foot it. Oh, I also tried the HD Reach seat. It moved me forward and down and put me where I wanted to be; however, it is uncomfortable and very ugly. I like the look of a solo seat, and if I were buying one, it would be the Corbin close solo.

Quick Reply: Are you 5'7" or less with a Street Glide and a lowered seat?