Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 FLHX build questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019 | 04:53 PM
Billstreet101
|
2nd Gear
Default 09 FLHX build questions

Hey Guys,

I値l apologize right off the bat. I know this form gets blasted with the same question however I知 new here and still new to my glide that I bought in May.

So here痴 where I知 at. I bought a used 09 96ci basically a stage 1. I知 getting read to start my own upgrades and I have a few remaining questions.

So first off the bat I致e pulled the side panels and seat and didn稚 find a tuner. I was told at one point it had a V&H fuel pak but it痴 not on the bike so I知 guessing that was bad info. From riding the bike I can tell it definitely had some type of Map down loaded because it actually runs fat or at least smells fat from time to time depending on how I知 riding. My question is if the ECM was flashed can I still through a programmer on it without messing up the map that痴 in it?

Second I知 going to start getting it ready for the Fuel Moto 107 kit. Looking forward to reaching out to Jamie for some help on that but for the second I want to throw cams and a header on it. I知 thinking 555 but also interested in the 777 what have you guys found to be best for mid to high rpm and I love a good rumble at ideal. I致e got CFR slip ons so I知 looking to make them sound a bit better.

So if you guys have advice for the header and programmer so I can tune it after cams and also anybody with experience on either of these cams let me know what you found on your bike. I still have a few months before I can get the 107 kit since I want the full out kit heads and all.

Oh one last question. Are these trannys holding up to the abuse of the 107s? I知 not exactly easy on my bikes I kinda ride like a lunatic unless I知 in a group or two up.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the rant.

Old 03-03-2019 | 05:25 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

My advice would be to decide which upgrade you really want before doing anything. Get a good plan and spend the money once for the performance you are looking for. Do give Fuel Moto a call and let them answer your questions about their kit and see what additional parts that compliment that build (tuner, exhaust, etc.).

Keep us posted!

Old 03-03-2019 | 05:51 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp

also visit the engine mechanical topics area on this forum ..a lot of info on different combos there.
good luck!

Old 03-03-2019 | 06:31 PM
Billstreet101
|
2nd Gear

Yeah I知 trying to buy the other parts I値l need for the 107 build. I know I need a programmer and cams so I知 not wasting my money. Just curious on what others have found.

Old 03-03-2019 | 08:54 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer

I would reach out to Jaime at FM. That being said, for a tuner, Power Vision seems to be the tuner of choice. That's what the tuner used for my 103, and I know from reading the forum that it's what most prefer.

For cams, your best bet is to head to FM's site and check out their dyno sheets. They have a ton, with different builds and options. I believe they have sheets that show the 555 and 777 on a 96.

Old 03-03-2019 | 08:56 PM
5280Ruffian
Tourer

Here is a link to Fuel Moto University, where they house tons of dyno sheets.

Old 03-03-2019 | 10:20 PM
Billstreet101
|
2nd Gear

Thanks yeah I致e visited the site and read the spec sheets and Dyno痴. Just seeing if anyone has had any experience with them in their bikes and what they thought. I kinda like to get every angle covered before I pull the trigger.

Old 03-03-2019 | 11:12 PM
RevBlk
Road Master

If you go with the Power Vision you save your current map before installing a new map. It's actually very easy to use the tuner. FM has tons of maps. One of which will no doubt work for you.
Good Luck

Old 03-04-2019 | 04:05 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

The cams of choice would probably be 222’s or 48H for the 96”. 555’s and 777’s are great for the 107 build.

Give FM a call... I’m sure they’ll give you great advice on your build.

I went with 48’s after deciding to stick with my 96” until it’s time for a rebuild. My reasoning was I didn’t want to put too much stress on the stock crank with a 107 build. When my 96 is tired I’m going big and building from bottom up.

With all that said the stage 1 with cams run like a champ and I have no problem keeping up with bigger builds. I might get my a$$ handed to me by a 107 drag racing stop light to stop light but on the highway I can run 100+ with no worries except for speeding tickets.

Old 03-04-2019 | 07:55 PM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior
Veteran: Navy

There are several reputable builders of 107's here, it's a matter of doing your homework and coming up with a game plan. There are plenty of threads on these builds as well. I believe your best bet is to do everything at once.
You may also want to do some "maintenance" upgrades as well in having that apart. First thing to do is check your crank run out to see if you're in spec or not, because that may be a deal breaker for your 107 money wise, and if it's not in spec, you"ll have to address that first.

If you have to purchase a new flywheel, you might as well go bigger than the 107, just saying.

Ride safe!!

Quick Reply: 09 FLHX build questions