Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For > 6’.... guys with the ugly fangs

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 12:31 PM
lp77
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default For > 6’.... guys with the ugly fangs

Hi guys,

I’m 6’8” and ride a 07 SG. Did almost everything to get rid of the buffeting on top of my helmet:
- 7” windvest recurve
- danny gray butt crack which set me back and low
- added the batwing wind deflectors
- added lowers
- changed to 21” wheel
- mounted an adjustable addon windshield on top of 7” recurve

It has improved, but when driving >55-60 the hammer starts to bounce again.

Yesterday I scanned the forum and read that a lot of guys added the ugly chrome fangs and that for most guys this was the solution to get rid of the head buffeting. I wonder if there are any talk guys >6’.... who also added the fangs and if the problem was sold for you as well. If so, I’m really interested in: - your length
- windshield type
- which touring model/ year
- any other mods you did to solve the problem.

Hope you guys can help met out in the hopefuly last step in my search for solving the everlasting buffeting. (And no, don’t wanna sell my bike and buy a no windshield bike). I already have a buell without windscreen and the steady wind pressure is much better.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:37 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,159 Likes on 12,214 Posts

I'm 6-5 and the fangs help a lot. I don't have the ugly chrome ones - mine are black. Can't recall who makes them but they're not Harley brand. Do a search on the topic and it's one of the more popular ones.

What I will say is you do not want to run them with lowers if you have them. It will starve your motor of air flow.

Windshields - Some can make it worse. I've found that windshields that have a lot of recurve create more turbulence. The HD 10 inch Windsplitter works pretty well, I have a 9 inch Freedom Shield wide touring on now that is pretty good too. The less recurve the better imo. That "flip" adds turbulence.

Also, the bigger the shield, the more back pressure (wind on the back of your neck) you get if you run fangs. You have to find a balance where the windshield is low enough to keep the wind off the back of your neck, but high enough to offer protection for your face. An inch can make all the difference in the world.

Last edited by nevada72; 03-03-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:40 PM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm 6'5"... fork mounted wind deflectors made a huge difference for me... although I don't think the are ugly at all.

I ride a 2011 RKC, stock windshield and a Corbin classic solo. I also have hard lowers but really just to keep my toes out of the wind when it's really cold out.

I still get a bit of buffeting over 75 or 80 so I just purchased a 21" clearview recurve (with vent) but it's been too nasty weather wise to get out and try it.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:58 PM
lp77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nevada72
I'm 6-5 and the fangs help a lot. I don't have the ugly chrome ones - mine are black. Can't recall who makes them but they're not Harley brand. Do a search on the topic and it's one of the more popular ones.

What I will say is you do not want to run them with lowers if you have them. It will starve your motor of air flow.

Windshields - Some can make it worse. I've found that windshields that have a lot of recurve create more turbulence. The HD 10 inch Windsplitter works pretty well, I have a 9 inch Freedom Shield wide touring on now that is pretty good too. The less recurve the better imo. That "flip" adds turbulence.

Also, the bigger the shield, the more back pressure (wind on the back of your neck) you get if you run fangs. You have to find a balance where the windshield is low enough to keep the wind off the back of your neck, but high enough to offer protection for your face. An inch can make all the difference in the world.
I would love to feel the back pressure in my neck. Way better than the knocking on my head.

I also noticed that no matter how close or far I would move my head searching for the right ‘calm spot’ I can’t find this ‘calm spot’ (even when my nose almost hitting the Dashboard). When standing it’s still best with steady pressure.

While I live in the Netherlands and it’s not very often 80+ degrees, I don’t mind the heat.

Old 03-03-2019, 01:23 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 901 Likes on 502 Posts

It gets really hot with lowers and fork wind deflectors. I can't stand both in Florida in the summer. Even tough on a 80* winter day. You'll roast!

I found the answer using Baker Built Wind Blockers. I only have one eye so if my head is getting bounced by turbulence I can't focus! The Baker product is adjustable on the go and works fantastic!! You can adjust the amount of air/turbulence you get. Close them at speed then reach down and open them in the city if so desired.

Last edited by Red; 03-03-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Hawg Runner
Road Master
Received 390 Likes on 238 Posts

JES makes a good looking pair better looking than the HD ones IMHO.

Old 03-03-2019, 03:01 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

I’m 6’1” and also ride a SG with a 12” recurve, I also added the fangs and it fixed the head buffeting for me. However, while riding I can feel the ‘dead air’ zone with my hand in the air about an inch or two above my helmet, anything above that and the heavy air currents pick right back up. Hope this helps.

Old 03-03-2019, 04:34 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

6'2" here, 2013 Classic with 12" shocks and 9" LRS recurve. HD chrome fangs, HD ashtray and aftermarket lowers. Took a couple years to find the right combination but I have no buffeting now. Fangs required some bending to clear the lowers but nothing more than leaning on them while off the bike.

-20181215_072926.jpg

Old 03-04-2019, 12:46 AM
lp77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ride my Seesaw
I’m 6’1” and also ride a SG with a 12” recurve, I also added the fangs and it fixed the head buffeting for me. However, while riding I can feel the ‘dead air’ zone with my hand in the air about an inch or two above my helmet, anything above that and the heavy air currents pick right back up. Hope this helps.
hmm 12” recurve is pretty high. Like the look of a 7” but won’t go higher tbh.

Old 03-04-2019, 12:47 AM
lp77
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GregGillette
6'2" here, 2013 Classic with 12" shocks and 9" LRS recurve. HD chrome fangs, HD ashtray and aftermarket lowers. Took a couple years to find the right combination but I have no buffeting now. Fangs required some bending to clear the lowers but nothing more than leaning on them while off the bike.

Attachment 597270
thanks. Reading this, gives me some hope it can be fixed. No heat issues?

Quick Reply: For > 6’.... guys with the ugly fangs