Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MichelIn vs... Shinko

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 PM
speedy540
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MichelIn vs... Shinko

About to use some Amazon gift cards to order a rear tire for my 15 RGS. I normally run an Avon Cobra but the only one I can find on Amazon is 258 bucks! They're 144 through Dennis Kirk. I'm a pretty aggressive rider. I love corners, pulling the front tire up and lighting up the tire across a parking lot, but I also occasionally do the KC to Colorado I-70 death March. 8 hrs in a straight line at 85-90. So with that in mind, and so with the Avon out of the question, I considered the super cheap Shinko. It's really cheap, soft rubber and is supposed to grip really well. Downside is I've heard they can have a "wobble" at 70 mph. I don't really see how it would "wobble" but that's what a few people say in their reviews. Anyone else run one of these? I'm only replacing the rear. I know they obviously won't last as long as other tires, but again, I'm pretty hard on them, so they don't last long anyways.

If I can't get enough people to talk me into this tire, I'm going to spend double the money and buy a Michelin Commander 2.

Old 03-01-2019, 11:13 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,065 Likes on 17,935 Posts

Exactly how much money you going to save wearing a Shinko out in one season or less not mention the work & extra expense changing it. Think ahead a bit.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:55 AM
speedy540
Cruiser

I'll wear either of them out in one season. I live in Kansas so I really only get decent riding weather maybe end of March till the end of September. I've never had a tire last longer than that. I think I get in the low 6xxx miles range per tire. So I know next fall I'm going to have a bald tire no matter what I buy. I know it would be cheaper buy the cheaper tire. The Shinko is literally half the price. My concern is handling and 80-90 mph with the with the saddlebags and tourpack full and the better half on the back.

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Exactly how much money you going to save wearing a Shinko out in one season or less not mention the work & extra expense changing it. Think ahead a bit.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:56 AM
speedy540
Cruiser

Also I have a friend with a tire machine
The Shinko is 107 and the Michelin is 211

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker

Last edited by speedy540; 03-02-2019 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:22 AM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,065 Likes on 17,935 Posts

I lived in Kansas City know all about the riding season or lack of. In my broke days I ran the cheap continentals, would go through 2 a season on a shovelhead. On a fat assed full bagger and the added weight I'd bite the bullet and put some better rubber under me. Been stuck with a blown out cheap tire out in boonies in Kansas at 4pm on a Saturday before, sucked big time.

Good luck whatever way you go.

Old 03-02-2019, 03:42 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

I don’t think you’ll get the miles you need for a season out of the shinko. I run em a lot and love them. They’ve got grip for days but in the rear in a bagger they don’t last as long. I got decent mileage on my old Softail but the heavier bagger wears em out pretty quick. I still run them up front and get good mileage but a lot of guys who are super aggressive are saying they’re killing em in 4K or less. If you don’t run a tour pack on you RGS and ride alone, maybe it’s worth it to try, especially since you don’t have to pay for mounting. You’ll love the grip if you try it though.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:50 AM
speedy540
Cruiser

The more I think about it I'm going to spend the wood and get the Michelin. We also have an N-Line trailer we pull from time to time, mostly to Colorado. Between that the tour pack and the saddlebags its quite a load on the tire. Better safe than sorry I guess. I'd hate have an issue in the middle of nowhere western Kansas. I put a FM 107, level heads and wood 999-6a cams in it a year ago. It's put a serious dent in tire life. Ive been running Avon Cobras but I wouldn't mind a bit solfer, more grip, rubber. Maybe I'll be happy I tried this Michelin

Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 AM
speedy540
Cruiser

The more I think about it, it sounds like I want a tire with a lot of grip, that lasts longer, rides smooth on the highway and still allows me to smoke it across a parking lot. Haha!!! Maybe I'm asking a too much. Regardless, I officially ordered the Michelin.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

Good call. Just mounted a pair of Amazon purchased Michelin’s in December. You won’t be sorry. I hear they don’t do as well the American Elites in the wet, but from the times I’ve already been caught in the rain they’ve been great.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:45 AM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Get some Commnder IIs and use Ride-On instead of conventional weights.

Quick Reply: MichelIn vs... Shinko