Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Flashing Green

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 07:52 PM
fdesa
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Not the best quality pic but here are the instructions

Old 02-25-2019, 08:00 PM
OkieBill
Club Member

Received 425 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
It needs to read a voltage so it knows what to do. Been three months since I have been home but I thought unhooked, it went to flashing yellow.
Know if you put a meter on it, it will show nothing.
The solid state control is very sensitive to prevent overcharge.
Leave it on your new battery overnight. Bet all is good in morning.
However if old battery had a dead short, it could have damaged it I guess.
Yea, this. Let it sit overnight because it says it can take from 8-12 hours to reach full charge.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,206 Likes on 1,555 Posts

On mine. Should be flashing red when not hooked to a battery. Turns red when hooked up to a discharged battery. Flashes green when hooked to a battery 80%+ charged, stays steady green when battery is fully charged. I've got about 1/2 dozen of these things hooked to two bikes, boat, jeep, ATV, lawn mower and a spare that the light quit working on but charger still works.

Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 PM
nascarfan
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I just went through this about a month ago.

Went out to the garage to get something and noticed my nine year old HD battery tender, which was plugged into the bike, flashing green. This tender had what the different colored lights mean actually printed on the tender itself. Flashing green meant 80% charged. I checked it the next morning and it was still flashing green. Battery in my bike is 18 months old. I unplugged it from the bike, but left it plugged into the wall. It still flashed green.

I hooked it up to a buddy's bike overnight. It was still flashing green the next morning.

Bought a new tender. All is fine.

The following 2 users liked this post by nascarfan:
HM_SanDiego (02-28-2019), red sport. (02-28-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure if they're making them differently through the years.

When mine is not connected it is flashing orange.
When it's charging a battery that is somewhat low it remains solid orange.
80% charged it is flashing green.
Fully charged is solid green.

I have two bikes and move it back and forth every week.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:42 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Originally Posted by rgrecco
Thanks smart *** I didn't think of that...

OR...

I bought the bike second hand and it came with the charger and no instructions ..

Oh and HD dissent have the manual on their site if you were going to say to look it up...

​​​
Any reason for NOT including that information in the first post? I got the impression you couldn't read or were too lazy to read the instructions. NOW, I expect those with the same charger will be happy to help.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:04 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Time to replace it.
When plugged in and connected, flashing green means 80% charged.
When plugged in and connected, solid green means 100% charged/maintaining.
When not connected and it's flashing, sorry, it's bad. Save the cables and ends, then throw it away.
I have an HD Smart Charger, and put a digital readout on top of it to watch what it does. When it first comes on, it hits near 14 volts to charge, then when it gets the battery up around 13 volts, it goes to 80% flashes, then maintains between 12.8 and 13 volts.
I put a readout on a friend's charger last year that flashed green all the time when connected - it stayed at 14 volts and never dropped, even on a known good battery. Trashed. Sure, you could have charged with it, but it would not "Step Down". No good for maintaining.
BTW - those chargers are now over priced. I also have a Foval Maintainer from Amazon for my boat that does great on the batteries. I stuck a digital readout on it too, and the numbers are the same as described above.
HINT: Do all you can to keep them COOL. They tend to put off some heat on the back side. I have mine plugged into a big extension cord and in a small wire rack suspended below a shelf. I have a 25' Deltran cord on it to reach anything it needs to without dragging it around. When they are plugged into a flat wall plate, the entire flat bottom of the charger gets hot with no air to cool it, thus the extension cord I use for it.
https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Trickle-Battery-Charger-1000mA/dp/B074Z2NFWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551153816&sr=8-1&keywords=foval+charger https://www.amazon.com/Automatic-Trickle-Battery-Charger-1000mA/dp/B074Z2NFWW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1551153816&sr=8-1&keywords=foval+charger

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 02-25-2019 at 10:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:13 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 960 Likes on 569 Posts

Does the pigtail have a fuse inline? Mine did what op's is doing and I replaced the fuse and all is well.....

Old 02-26-2019, 04:31 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
Does the pigtail have a fuse inline? Mine did what op's is doing and I replaced the fuse and all is well.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Always start with the basics. Unless you enjoy wasting time and money.

Old 02-26-2019, 05:33 AM
fdesa
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammerhead Pat
This happened to me too but the light flashed amber which is what its supposed to do because it wasn't detecting anything to charge.
It was not flashing green as the OP stated.

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Flashing Green