Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heated gear advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019 | 07:03 AM
Drtumolo
|
Road Captain
Default heated gear advice

I just received a heated jacket liner from first gear and have a fit question. This is my first piece of heated gear and everything I read states it should fit "snug". My question is how snug? I can wear it with a t-shirt under it but it is tight across the shoulders and there is no way I could wear anything additional under it besides the t-shirt. I am thinking I need to go up one size but looking for advice from someone who has experience with heated gear.

Old 02-10-2019 | 07:10 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

I like to wear a sweat shirt under mine.

Old 02-10-2019 | 07:13 AM
Drtumolo
|
Road Captain

That is what I thought I would be wearing under my liner but I will definitely need to go up a size to do that.

Old 02-10-2019 | 07:17 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned
Veteran: Air Force

I have a Gerbings jacket liner and find it necessary to keep at least another layer between me and the liner due to the fact that the connection box tends to get hot. First Gear jacket may well be different.,

Old 02-10-2019 | 07:20 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member

Long sleeved pullover shirt is all I wear under mine......

Old 02-10-2019 | 08:36 AM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Old 02-10-2019 | 09:55 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Drtumolo
I just received a heated jacket liner from first gear and have a fit question. This is my first piece of heated gear and everything I read states it should fit "snug". My question is how snug? I can wear it with a t-shirt under it but it is tight across the shoulders and there is no way I could wear anything additional under it besides the t-shirt. I am thinking I need to go up one size but looking for advice from someone who has experience with heated gear.
I don't think "snug": should be the way to describe the fit. I would say "form fitting" is a better description. You shouldn't have any trouble wearing a long sleeve shirt under the jacket liner..in fact you SHOULD. The trick is to wear the thinnest cloth you can, so that you don't get burned, but that will allow the heat to get close enough to your skin to warm you. Someone said they wear a sweat shirt underneath....they are wearing a jacket liner that is too big for them. You shouldn't have that much room. And even if you did, that's too thick a membrane to let the warmth get to your skin, as the liner designed to work.
I think you have a jacket that needs to be sized up one more size.

Old 02-10-2019 | 10:18 AM
bill from tn
Road Captain

I wear a long sleeve T-shirt, under armor heated gear or a thermal shirt under mine with good results. The long sleeve t being the best for heat transfer for me. Mine is a snug fit but I wouldn’t call it form fitting. Loose enough for me to wear a polo and a long sleeve t over that on work commutes.

Of topic a bit but my wife trains and competes her chihuahua Ginger in outdoor competitions. She was out in low 20’s yesterday and took my jacket with the optional battery to keep Ginger warm between runs.
The dog loves it.

Her competitors get a good laugh out of it.

Last edited by bill from tn; 02-10-2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-10-2019 | 12:22 PM
ses
Cruiser

I've found that wearing anything more than a tee shirt makes it less efficient for the heat transfer. I road in 30+ degree weather with just the jacket liner and my regular riding jacket over it and was toasty.

Old 02-10-2019 | 12:31 PM
RichM752
Road Master

Quick Reply: heated gear advice