Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007 | 07:08 PM
tizone
|
Tourer
Default Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?

I had to take my bike to my local HD dealer for the 1,000 mile service and all they had for synthetic was the HD SYN3 Blend. So they swapped all of the fluids out and replaced with SYN3.

I know that SYN3 is not a forum favorite, but is it worth it to drainout brand new SYN3 and replace right away with a full synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoilor Redline? I am posting the poll to get an idea what YOU would do if it were your bike.

I needed to get the service done quickly to have the bike ready for a July 4 ride and I didn't have the necessary pieces and parts to do it myself. Thats why I took it in and had it done while I was at work. I was only charged a total of $225 which I didn't think was too bad.

Old 07-04-2007 | 07:14 PM
Road Glider
Tourer
Default RE: Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?

Same thing happen to me at my 1000 mile check-up, they put syn 3 in all three holes. Changed all the fluids at 3500 miles myself:

Amsoil 20-50 Crankcase
Mobil 1 75 -140 Gear Oil in Tranny
Left over H-D Dino oil in Primary

Old 07-04-2007 | 07:30 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tizone

I had to take my bike to my local HD dealer for the 1,000 mile service and all they had for synthetic was the HD SYN3 Blend. So they swapped all of the fluids out and replaced with SYN3.

I know that SYN3 is not a forum favorite, but is it worth it to drainout brand new SYN3 and replace right away with a full synthetic like Mobil 1, Amsoilor Redline? I am posting the poll to get an idea what YOU would do if it were your bike.

I needed to get the service done quickly to have the bike ready for a July 4 ride and I didn't have the necessary pieces and parts to do it myself. Thats why I took it in and had it done while I was at work. I was only charged a total of $225 which I didn't think was too bad.
I wouldn't have a problem with Syn3 in the engine and primary 'til your 5k service, but I think gearboxes should be lubricated with gear oil. I would change it out and if you're having the usual 6-speed clattering and whine, replace it with an 85w140 synethetic gear oil. This quietened my tranny considerably.

At 5k, pick from an impressive array of high-quality synthetic engine oils (Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Amsoil, Redline, etc.) for the engine, not forgetting to consider Mobil 1 15w50 "car oil," which is undoubtedly the bargain of the entire group. Someone recently reported that he bought a 5-qt. container for <$20 at Wal-Mart. Syn3 is not a particularly stellar product, which IMO would be overpriced at $4/qt., and at $10 is pure ripoff. I wouldn't use it in the primary either because an expensive synthetic is not necessary in that location. Pick a cheap mutli-viscosity fossil engine oil or ATF.

Old 07-04-2007 | 08:03 PM
HogBack
Road Master

HI: What I would do was not in the poll. I would drain the engine and put a good non-synthetic 20w50w back in... I do not think the rings are seated on a motor in a 1000 miles and synthetic should not be in there yet.... go 5000 before synthetics in the motor. The other holes are okay for now. I am a synthetic lover, but not before breakin and not in theprimary either...

Hogback

Old 07-04-2007 | 08:28 PM
DeeRoe
Road Master
Veteran: Air ForceVeteran: Marine Corp

Amsoil 10w-40--engine
Mobil1 75w-140--tranny
Syn3--primary
Jack Daniels--me

Old 07-04-2007 | 08:34 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

daddy,,,, great minds think alike,,, ditto here

Old 07-04-2007 | 10:31 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

Speaking as a professional wrench I'd say you'd be foolish to throw away perfectly good oil in favor of someone else's favorite brand. Contrary to popular belief any good synthetic oil intended for automotive use and of the correct viscosity and API service grade will lubricate your drivetrain adequately for 5000 miles. While I use another brand that is cheaper and as good as or better than Syn3, I wouldn't hesitate to use Syn3 if it were priced competitively or if it was all I could find.

As for running Syn3 in all holes, H-D engineers believe it provides protection to the degree that they're willing to warranty the powertrain with its use. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't use a gear oil in the gearbox, but considering there are thousands upon thousands of H-D motorcycles running around with Syn3 in all holes and there hasn't been a rash of failed engines, gearboxes, or primaries attributable to lubricant failure, I'd say the engineers were right and I'd believe their recommendations over those of someone in an internet forum.

As I've said before- in all my years as a mechanic I've never once seen a powertrain suffer a premature oil-related failure when the manufacturer's recommended lubricants and drain interval were followed.
While it is one of the most hotly debated subjects on any motor vehicle forum, oil selection can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. You can follow the manufacturer's recommendations and be done with it, or you can make it your religion and let the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth begin.

In the end it's your money, but if you insist on dumping the Syn3 out please pour it into a jug & send it to me.

Old 07-05-2007 | 02:28 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member

I posted avote before reading yor post. I would switch from syn3 at your next service interval, and not before. Using the syn 3 isn't really a bad thing, just not the best. Waiting until your next service will not hurt a darn thing. Why throw money at your bike, when you don't have to. JMHO

Old 07-05-2007 | 05:30 AM
JBBOOKS
Road Warrior

Leave it in until the next service interval, then change it out to whatever letsyou sleep at night.

Enjoy the ride.

Old 07-05-2007 | 07:03 AM
madurodave
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: tizone

I ran the Syn3 for 1000 miles to try it. I switched to Mobil 1 and am much happier with the Mobil 1. The Syn3 seemed to run noisier and left some metal shaving on the magnets. I will see how the Mobil 1 does in comparison.

Quick Reply: Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?