Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007 | 07:28 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Drain & Change HD SYN3 From My 07 Ultra?

Dave- Mobil 1 is good stuff (I've been using it for years in cars & trucks) but don't be surprised when you get metal shavings on the mag plug using it just as you did with Syn3. No oil made will stop that- especially in a new engine like yours. The amount of shavings will decrease after an oil change or two, but there will always be wear in the engine and thus metal particles.
Just means the oil is doing its job and carrying the metal away from engine components to be caught by the filter & mag plug...

Old 07-05-2007 | 01:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: madurodave
I ran the Syn3 for 1000 miles to try it. I switched to Mobil 1 and am much happier with the Mobil 1. The Syn3 seemed to run noisier and left some metal shaving on the magnets. I will see how the Mobil 1 does in comparison.
You can't compare the quantity of shavings from one oil change to the next on a new motor that's breaking in. It will show more at first, decreasing as time progresses, and after a few K you should see little on the magnet. If you check it at the next change, it will certainly be less than the time before that regardless of the oil used. I don't like to recommend oil brands, as most synthetics are up to the challenge for our bikes, but there is little debate that Mobil 1 is a better choice than Syn3, especially when price is a consideration.

Old 07-05-2007 | 02:26 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: iclick

...there is little debate that Mobil 1 is a better choice than Syn3, especially when price is a consideration.
You got that right- $10 a quart for Syn3, $5 a quart for Mobil 1.
I wasn't an economics major in college but even I can figger that one out...

Old 07-06-2007 | 06:12 AM
tizone
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: HogBack

HI: What I would do was not in the poll. I would drain the engine and put a good non-synthetic 20w50w back in... I do not think the rings are seated on a motor in a 1000 miles and synthetic should not be in there yet.... go 5000 before synthetics in the motor. The other holes are okay for now. I am a synthetic lover, but not before breakin and not in theprimary either...

Hogback
Hey Hogback

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that synthetic doesn't allow the motor to break in properly. It's my understanding that all of the brand spankin' new Screamin Eagle models comeoff of the Stealer Floor with Syn3 in all 3 holes. Do you think that this is bad for the bike? They boast that having the SYN3 in the SE bikes is a major "upgrade".

Old 07-06-2007 | 08:25 AM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Lost1

Speaking as a professional wrench I'd say you'd be foolish to throw away perfectly good oil in favor of someone else's favorite brand. Contrary to popular belief any good synthetic oil intended for automotive use and of the correct viscosity and API service grade will lubricate your drivetrain adequately for 5000 miles. While I use another brand that is cheaper and as good as or better than Syn3, I wouldn't hesitate to use Syn3 if it were priced competitively or if it was all I could find.

As for running Syn3 in all holes, H-D engineers believe it provides protection to the degree that they're willing to warranty the powertrain with its use. That doesn't necessarily mean I wouldn't use a gear oil in the gearbox, but considering there are thousands upon thousands of H-D motorcycles running around with Syn3 in all holes and there hasn't been a rash of failed engines, gearboxes, or primaries attributable to lubricant failure, I'd say the engineers were right and I'd believe their recommendations over those of someone in an internet forum.

As I've said before- in all my years as a mechanic I've never once seen a powertrain suffer a premature oil-related failure when the manufacturer's recommended lubricants and drain interval were followed.
While it is one of the most hotly debated subjects on any motor vehicle forum, oil selection can be as simple or complex as you want to make it. You can follow the manufacturer's recommendations and be done with it, or you can make it your religion and let the hand wringing and gnashing of teeth begin.

In the end it's your money, but if you insist on dumping the Syn3 out please pour it into a jug & send it to me.

Love the hand wringing and teeth gnashing part.

To the original poster: I would wait till the next scheduled service interval and not worry about it. I certainly would never believe that you are doing irreparable harm to your engine/primary/trans by using a recommended oil.

I'm NOT a mechanic, but I certainly do not lay awake at night worrying about the different oils. Personally, I use HD dino in my engine, standard HD dino lube in the primary, and Spectro synthetic gear lube in the transmission, all on the recommendation of my indy mechanic. I change my oil at the regular intervals and don't worry about it. I think changing the oil regularly is the key to a healthy drive train, regardless of which oil you use, assuming of course that you use brand-name 'approved oil'.

Old 07-06-2007 | 09:16 AM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: tizone

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that synthetic doesn't allow the motor to break in properly. It's my understanding that all of the brand spankin' new Screamin Eagle models comeoff of the Stealer Floor with Syn3 in all 3 holes. Do you think that this is bad for the bike? They boast that having the SYN3 in the SE bikes is a major "upgrade".
Years ago piston rings required many miles to seat due to the composition of the metals used in their construction. Plain iron would usually seat in about 1000 miles or less, where chrome rings could need as much as 3000-5000 miles. However, newer rings are made with much different materials and in most modern engines the rings are seated during the initial run in at the factory. This is one of the reasons why many new cars, as well as motorcycles, now come with synthetic oil from the factory and rarely require extended break-in periods.

Whether or not synthetic oil should be used in a new engine is a widely debated subject- even in the professional field. Some oil manufacturers (as well as mechanics and engine builders) say synthetic can be used in a new engine, where others say to wait 1k-5k miles. While I've used synthetic in new engines for many years and have never had a single problem, and will continue to do so, my advice to anyone who is unsure about what to do is to follow the engine manufacturer's recommendation. The manufacturer's engineers recommend oil based on tests that establish the needs of that specific engine, and they know that particular engine's requirements better than anyone.
Considering H-D puts synthetic oil into some of their engines from the factory, I wouldn't hesitate changing to synthetic whenever it was convenient to do so...

Old 07-06-2007 | 10:13 AM
stro1965
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm dumping the Syn 3 in the motor for Mobil 1 V Twin and switching over to Redline Heavy Shockproof in the trabby. Just want to quiet this noisy beast a bit if I can.