Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vented versus non vented lowers

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019 | 06:50 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Vented versus non vented lowers

My tourer is an 02 Ultra and it has non vented lower fairings. They are great when the air temp is 69 or less, but if the air temp is any higher the heat reflected is really bad, which is why it's unbolted in the summer. Recently I've been looking at getting some vented lowers but wondering if they are really worth it. In my area the high temps in the summer get in the nineties. In the spring and fall, you can have morning temps in the fifties and afternoon temps in the seventies. Obviously vented lowers would be better, but would they work good enough to leave them on all year round? Or am I just going to be unbolting them anyway in the summer?

Old 01-06-2019 | 09:13 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Long lonesome highwayman
.... but would they work good enough to leave them on all year round?
....... yes
.... some folks remove the vent slider to get a little more air flow as season dictates

Old 01-07-2019 | 06:10 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I have had both and really do not notice a difference (my guess is with vents open engine runs hotter?). I actually have no idea if the vents are open or closed unless I look. lived out in the valley where it is often over 110 in the summer and lowers stay on year round.

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 01-07-2019 at 06:12 AM.
Old 01-07-2019 | 06:56 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member

My Rig did not come with lowers, one of the first mods I did after windshield, pipes and headers. However just as my luck would have it, after ordering my Non Vented Lowers. They changed the fairing mounting bracket for the FLTR models in 2010.

Long story short, I keep my lowers on year round. They have been off once in 10 years for about 2 weeks when I upgrade my motor to 117" build. (In fact, my 117" motor runs cooler and stronger then when it was a 110" motor.)

Non Vented Lowers work great for me.

YB

Last edited by 09 YELLOWBIRD; 01-07-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2019 | 07:56 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member

Maybe look into finding a kit to add venting to your fairing lowers? Something like the Hoppe Industries Airmax Vents AMX2. I'm not even sure these are still available.

https://www.powersportparts.net/i-25...%7Cyear%3D2011

http://www.directcycleparts.com/tour...yABEgISifD_BwE

https://www.dragspecialties.com/prod...umber=23500008

Last edited by LQQK_OUT; 01-07-2019 at 07:58 AM.
Old 01-07-2019 | 03:23 PM
QNman
Supporter
Supporter

I've never had non-vented lowers, so my only comparison is vents open versus vents closed.

Which makes a little difference (but just a little). When it gets hot here, the lowers come off and hang in the garage until fall. YMMV.

Old 01-07-2019 | 03:35 PM
sailmotion
Seasoned HDF Member

I've found benefits to be subtle in hot weather. I've been riding for hours in hot weather with the vents inadvertently closed and gotten slightly better cooling by opening the vents. However, while it may seem counter-intuitive, the most effective relief I [and my passenger wife] have gotten was when the day turns cooler [such as after the sun goes down in early Fall - if you slightly crack open the vents, the air blown over the engine will actually provide a little warm to your legs and lower body.

Old 01-07-2019 | 06:42 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by groupw
....... yes
.... some folks remove the vent slider to get a little more air flow as season dictates
Is that a hard thing to do? Or harder than just unbolting the entire lowers?

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
I have had both and really do not notice a difference (my guess is with vents open engine runs hotter?). I actually have no idea if the vents are open or closed unless I look. lived out in the valley where it is often over 110 in the summer and lowers stay on year round.
Originally Posted by 09 YELLOWBIRD

My Rig did not come with lowers, one of the first mods I did after windshield, pipes and headers. However just as my luck would have it, after ordering my Non Vented Lowers. They changed the fairing mounting bracket for the FLTR models in 2010.

Long story short, I keep my lowers on year round. They have been off once in 10 years for about 2 weeks when I upgrade my motor to 117" build. (In fact, my 117" motor runs cooler and stronger then when it was a 110" motor.)

Non Vented Lowers work great for me.

YB

They don't work very well for me if the temp gets above 70. I hate to imagine what it would feel like at 90 or above.

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
Maybe look into finding a kit to add venting to your fairing lowers? Something like the Hoppe Industries Airmax Vents AMX2. I'm not even sure these are still available.

https://www.powersportparts.net/i-25...%7Cyear%3D2011

http://www.directcycleparts.com/tour...yABEgISifD_BwE

https://www.dragspecialties.com/prod...umber=23500008
I looked into that, and the cost is about the same as buying aftermarket replacement vented lowers.

Originally Posted by QNman
I've never had non-vented lowers, so my only comparison is vents open versus vents closed.

Which makes a little difference (but just a little). When it gets hot here, the lowers come off and hang in the garage until fall. YMMV.
yeah, if I'm going to have to unbolt them anyway why waste the money on vented ones. Thanks everyone for the info.