Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a street glide.

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019 | 10:43 AM
jjgi5150
Intermediate

I bought a 2017 SGS in Vivid Black. I also ride a 2013 Breakout. Both bike are purpose-use bikes for me. I ride the Breakout as a solo-only bike around town on shorter rides. It is a total blast, but most definitely not a "long ride" bike, for me at least. The SGS is awesome. It runs very strong, totally stock with just V&H slip-ons. It has all the creature comfort features I like; Nav, Phone & Music via Bluetooth, storage bags for road trips, and as I have it set up, virtually no wind buffeting. Great for longer rides solo or with a passenger.

I came from 30 years of rice rockets, which were a blast for all that time. But the Harleys gave me whole new world of riding enjoyment. Yes, you still have to be safe and watch every cager out there, but unlike the rice rockets, for me anyway, it's not like riding on a razor blade like it was with them. I actually enjoy the ride as much as the machine now.

I think you'll fit fine on a SGS and it is a really great all around bike.

Good luck,

JJ

Old 01-05-2019 | 11:36 AM
albngore
Road Master

Do not listen to anyone who talks about lowering your cycle. I am 5'5" 175 pounds and ride an Ultra with a modified stock seat. To get it a bit lower I sent the seat to Mean City Cycles, well thought of on this site. I went lower an inch and forward an inch to suit my size. I think the SG is stock with 12" shocks. Many here change to 13". You can get 13" shocks that when laden put you at about the same height as the originals. I like my Ultra for longer riding better than the Heritage I owned. The Heritage was an excellent cycle though.

Old 01-05-2019 | 12:39 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Riders Club Member

If you get an SG, make sure you get a black one so you can pick yours out of a crowd.
Seriously; I would take a Heritage all day over a Street Glide, but that's me.

The following users liked this post:
s-glide76 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019 | 01:33 PM
SWFLGuy
Road Warrior

I love my vivid black street glide no matter how many other there may be like it.
This one is mine.

I hope all all of the others like theirs as much as I do!

Old 01-05-2019 | 02:13 PM
CrBear
Grand HDF Member

The buddy I ride with has a Heritage. I have SGS. We've ridden to Tenn/NC twice, Colorao 3 times and to the Grand Canyon this past June. (Note: trailered close to those sites, not ride from Dallas). But he has never had a problem keeping up with me, hauling like luggage, etc. Even his fillups aren't to far off mine. Your choice, but I think his Heritage is pretty comfortable Oh, and he's 5 9.

s-glide76 (01-05-2019)
Old 01-05-2019 | 09:52 PM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced

I have a 2014 FLHX . I was convinced that I would love the protection that the bat wing fairing would offer , but it left me very disappointed . The Rushmore changes to the frame and saddle bags are great , but it turns out that I really do prefer a Heritage with a windshield and hard bags . I will trade or sell my low mileage bike for the right Heritage . I really like the extra field of view from a clip on wind shield . I used to ride 20,000 miles per year , but this street glide just doesn't work for me . Do whatever you can to rent a few bikes for a 100+ mile ride . A test ride around the block just isn't enough when making such a expensive purchase .

Old 01-08-2019 | 06:40 AM
qhillerich
|
1st Gear
Talking Update

I test drove a 2011 Electra Glide ultra classic peace officer edition. It was awesome. Love the handling and it was lowered. Ended up "accidentally" hitting 90 down the expressway and could not even tell I was going this fast. I think this will be the bike for me. I am working with the Harley dealer to see if I can get a good deal.

CrBear (01-08-2019)
Old 01-11-2019 | 07:05 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer

Originally Posted by SWFLGuy
I love my vivid black street glide no matter how many other there may be like it.
This one is mine.

I hope all all of the others like theirs as much as I do!
I also love my 2018 vivid Black SGS. Yes, I know there are a lot of them, but like you said, this one is mine, and I customized it to my liking. I also like most of the colors, and if I get a new bike someday, I might get a color just for a change, or even consider an RGS, but for now, I don’t care how many black Street Glides are out there, I think mine is awesome. It was an upgrade from my first Harley, and 883 Iron that I upgraded to a 1200. It was extremely fun on short rides, and easy to ride, but was not meant for any type of distance. I wish I could have afforded to keep both, but in my opinion, the SG is the winner, and I haven’t looked back. My only regret, not waiting a few more weeks for the ‘19’s. I really like that new radio head unit, and the 117, who wouldn’t want that? To the OP: Go for it!