Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about a street glide.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019 | 06:48 PM
BrandonSmith
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by jd05flhtci
Do you have a drop seat or air ride? Not being funny I am the same height and cant flat foot it
Originally Posted by BrandonSmith
It’s not so much about your overall height as it is your inseam. I’m 5’10” but have a 30” inseam... short legs. Street glide is comfortable and never felt too big even when maneuvering it in the garage barefoot lol.

Last edited by BrandonSmith; 01-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 01-03-2019 | 11:36 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior

did not read all post. so i'm 71 5ft 8 134 to 140lbs. get it you won't be sorry.
kroozeabout.

Old 01-04-2019 | 12:25 AM
BCSG
Tourer

Originally Posted by KYRGultra
It was a while before I bought a touring bike. On my 2nd one now. Occasionally, parking my touring bike reminds me how much bigger and heavier this touring bike is compared to my old Sportster or Dyna. But I can't ever see myself riding anything except a touring bike for the rest of my days. Yeah, the ride really is much better--mostly noticed on the really long rides. And yeah, I like more storage space. And I love my stereo and GPS Boombox.

Personally, I don't think you are making a mistake if you go to a touring bike--and after a short while on a touring bike you might think the same thing I did which was "I should have gotten a touring bike long ago".

But...., you mention the SG. They are fine bikes. But before you get a SG do yourself a favor and sit on and test ride, if you can, A RG and also a RK. Maybe you have already done that and you definitely want the SG. ??? All I'm saying is explore fully before you commit.

Best of luck.

P.S. I'm on my 2nd RG. "There's no ride like a Road Glide" LOL.
Agreed, go to a dealer and at least sit on all three, SG,RG, and RK. Test ride all three if you can. If tunes are important to you, then it’s down to the fairing models. If not, the RK is a versatile option and you can always add an aftermarket fairing later. I’m 6’0 and 180. I even put standard 13” shocks on and flat foot no problem. The fairing’s of the SG/RG are about 35lbs. respectively.

Old 01-04-2019 | 04:22 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior

As previously mentioned, there is no reason you can't tour on a Heritage. You just need the right luggage and a better seat. If you go to a Road King ( my favorite Harley of all, it's called a King for a reason ), you'll get the same feeling as the Heritage with a much better ride. You don't mention if you are going solo or two up. If two up, I'd skip the SG and go straight to the Classic. Road Glide or Ultra. You'll want the extra storage, she'll like the backrest, and the ride will be so much better than a loaded SG that only has 12" shocks. She definitely wont like it sitting right over the shocks. Don't worry about the height. There are many things you can do to get your feet closer to the ground and in my opinion, flat footing is over rated. I can stand up in the saddle and flat foot but almost never do and you don't need to flat foot doing 200 miles at a time on the Hwy. I have a 30" inseam and do just fine on my Limited. If you're getting the bike to tour, go big or go home. If you like the look of the SG, you can always make the tour pack detachable on the classic. SG's are cool but if you talk to anyone older that rides a lot and has been for a long time, look at their bike. My money say's it's an Ultra. Unless they are like me and have two bikes, I have a Road King that I commute on daily and a Limited for when the wife wants to go for a ride or we go on a road trip.

The best thing about your decision is that no matter what bike you go with in the touring family, it will be a major upgrade in ride and comfort over the heritage.

The following users liked this post:
nobodyknowsme (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019 | 06:10 AM
TBagger
Tourer

Originally Posted by EdwardK
As previously mentioned, there is no reason you can't tour on a Heritage. You just need the right luggage and a better seat. If you go to a Road King ( my favorite Harley of all, it's called a King for a reason ), you'll get the same feeling as the Heritage with a much better ride. You don't mention if you are going solo or two up. If two up, I'd skip the SG and go straight to the Classic. Road Glide or Ultra. You'll want the extra storage, she'll like the backrest, and the ride will be so much better than a loaded SG that only has 12" shocks. She definitely wont like it sitting right over the shocks. Don't worry about the height. There are many things you can do to get your feet closer to the ground and in my opinion, flat footing is over rated. I can stand up in the saddle and flat foot but almost never do and you don't need to flat foot doing 200 miles at a time on the Hwy. I have a 30" inseam and do just fine on my Limited. If you're getting the bike to tour, go big or go home. If you like the look of the SG, you can always make the tour pack detachable on the classic. SG's are cool but if you talk to anyone older that rides a lot and has been for a long time, look at their bike. My money say's it's an Ultra. Unless they are like me and have two bikes, I have a Road King that I commute on daily and a Limited for when the wife wants to go for a ride or we go on a road trip.

The best thing about your decision is that no matter what bike you go with in the touring family, it will be a major upgrade in ride and comfort over the heritage.
Great advise right here. The Ultra's either the Classic or Road Glide are a very practical option to consider. You can keep it fully loaded for two up and keep the passenger in comfort or with a removable tour pack option, strip it down for a near SG appearance. Also as mentioned, the Ultra's in stock configuration offer a better ride with the rear ride height. You can also consider the Ultra's in a "Low" version if your worried about flat footing. Personally I rode the Heritage for years and finally went to the touring line and could not be happier. The ride is so much better. Best of luck !

Old 01-04-2019 | 06:28 AM
BelchFire
Club Member

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I have a Road King that I commute on daily and a Limited for when the wife wants to go for a ride or we go on a road trip..
This is kinda-sorta my approach. I commute 37 miles one way and it isn't a problem on the Dyna. I'm mostly interested in a SG for the sleek look and better ride when I go longer distances solo and I am looking for a tour pak for her comfort when she rides with me. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Old 01-04-2019 | 09:54 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

I am around 5'7" and 140 (or less) pounds. I find the Road King suits me great; I can flat foot the bike and maneuver it very easily. Personally I think that the Road King is the bike for me. Recommend that the OP check out the various touring options before deciding. I mainly just do day rides (cruising, in other words, not touring) but find that the King is perfect for my style of riding. The King is great for long freeway rides. Personally I do not want a fairing on my bike but I get it that many of the guys and gals do.

Old 01-04-2019 | 07:14 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by duckbagger

An SG with a detachable tour-pak is a really versatile machine.
It sure is!

Old 01-04-2019 | 07:25 PM
Desertwndrr
Tourer

My wife is 5'6" and 135lbs and she rides a Road Glide. Don't let the weight of the bike scare you.

I would suggest that you look at a Road Glide as opposed to a Street Glide. That Batwing front fairing adds a ton of weight to the front end and it gets pretty heavy during slow speed maneuvers. The Road Glide carries the weight by the frame and doesn't transmit through the handlebars.

Old 01-04-2019 | 10:30 PM
preacherbo
Cruiser

Love my 2008 Street Glide. Get the bars and the seat right for you and you can ride all day. CRUISE CONTROL is what sold it for me. Nothing like it on an all day ride.

Quick Reply: Thinking about a street glide.