Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing inner fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:12 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts
Question Replacing inner fairing?

So I'm looking at a particular Street Glide. The guy says it's "like new", but on closer interrogation, he admits that there's some damage to the inner fairing on the right side. He said his kid hit it with a hobby horse, but whatever happened, he sent a picture. The inner fairing was impacted between the right mirror and the outermost point of the outer fairing. There may, or may not be scuffing on the edge of the outer fairing, but if there is, I have hope that touch-up paint wouldn't be noticeable on the the very edge (it's hard to tell whether it's scuffed paint or reflected light; he insists it's not scuffed). The inner fairing appears to be bent or creased and a large patch of paint has flaked off; maybe half the size of an outstretched palm. The edge trim between the inner and outer fairing is broken and missing chips. The trim is cheap; maybe $20 for both sides, but after that, it gets complicated. I'm wondering if I could heat/re-bend the existing inner fairing and then spray with flat black or bed liner to salvage what is there before I buy a replacement, but I haven't seen it up close (he's too far away to look, then buy later). My questions to you guys:

1) How difficult is it to remove and replace the inner fairing? The outer has to come off first and then all the gauges, radio, mirrors, etc have to be removed and mounted in the new one, right?

2) A Harley brand inner fairing is $550 before paint. A Chinese knockoff on EBay is $150 shipped. Considering that Harley's fairing is likely made in China as well, would you pay the difference? Are the EBay fairings the same? Do they fit up or have issues?

3) How stoopid would it look to have a black fairing in a color SGS? Flat black? Gloss black?

Lemme' have it ...

Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 AM
BelchFire

Picture:

Old 12-28-2018, 09:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

The inner fairing goes on the bike first AFAIK, with everything else attached to it, so you could have quite a lot of work simply getting to your current inner, to swap it. This is where an FSM is a good idea...

Old 12-28-2018, 09:58 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,494 Likes on 2,679 Posts

Do yourself a favor - if you really want a quality, affordable painted inner fairing, find out where Paul is going to be, consider ordering ahead. You will not be disappointed. They guy can do an inner fairing swap in about 45 minutes, its affordable, and top notch quality.

https://thefairingxchange.com/

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 10:15 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,605 Likes on 1,101 Posts

Inner Fairing Removal..Step By Step...W/Pics

go to page 14 post #134 and follow the link in there

The following 2 users liked this post by LQQK_OUT:
BelchFire (12-28-2018), dcfatboy (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:22 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,134 Likes on 1,797 Posts

Originally Posted by SoGA
The guy says it's "like new", but on closer interrogation, he admits that there's some damage to the inner fairing on the right side.
Your wording leads me to believe that you had to get it out of him that there was something wrong and it’s not really like new. If so, I wouldn’t trust him regarding the overall mechanical condition. What year is the bike and how much is he asking?

The following 3 users liked this post by dawg:
BelchFire (12-28-2018), dcfatboy (12-28-2018), nobodyknowsme (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 11:33 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,666 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg

Your wording leads me to believe that you had to get it out of him that there was something wrong and it’s not really like new. If so, I wouldn’t trust him regarding the overall mechanical condition. What year is the bike and how much is he asking?
Very good point.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:56 AM
BelchFire

Originally Posted by dawg
Perhaps my wording was poorly chosen. His listing said "like new" but he was free to admit the damage ... once I asked specifically about paint, scuffs, scratches etc. He was also quick to send that pic.

He also listed the options and add-ons and finished his writeup with "and much more" so I asked, "what else" and he said "that's all". I don't think he's actively trying to hide anything, I think he's just being loose with his wording, or perhaps overly optimistic. If I were close enough to inspect it, I could lay all my concerns to rest with my eyes, but he's a full day's drive away; then I'd have to drive back the next day and I'd hate to do that empty handed. It's a '14 with 9K and he's asking $14.5. I'm seeing $600-$1K to repair that damage, unless I can do it myself.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:08 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
Do yourself a favor - if you really want a quality, affordable painted inner fairing, find out where Paul is going to be, consider ordering ahead. You will not be disappointed. They guy can do an inner fairing swap in about 45 minutes, its affordable, and top notch quality.

https://thefairingxchange.com/

i agree with this path...the fairing exchange is a great outfit....did mine in 30 minutes at a local rally....

The following users liked this post:
BelchFire (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 12:12 PM
BelchFire

Originally Posted by giacomo56
i agree with this path...the fairing exchange is a great outfit....did mine in 30 minutes at a local rally....
I didn't see any costs on the website; Other than the $100 exchange, what should I expect to pay?

Quick Reply: Replacing inner fairing?