Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Security Installation Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 12:37 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Smart Security Installation Help

Hi all,

I purchased the smart security system with the Fobs for my ride. Not much in the service manual on this, but I do know the fobs need to be programmed by a dealer. I’m guessing I will need to put the modual on in the parking lot, because when I installed it it won’t turn over. When I put the stock TSM back on it runs.

Not sure if I can put it on right before I go and program a code in to bypass the fobs, but I’m pretty sure a fob has to be present when programming.

I thought I read on here that it can be intstalled at home and ridden to the dealer for programming, so I’m wondering if I did something wrong.

Any thoughts?

Old 12-23-2018, 02:44 PM
dafrisco
Tourer
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 165 Likes on 100 Posts

Here is the procedure to marry the TSSM to the bike. This is what I used on y 2007 EGC
Marrying NEW TSM/TSSM To Bike
Tssm Marriage
1 Set Run switch to Run

2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle the Left Turn Signal switch twice.

3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate briefly and then turn off Security lamp
will not illuminate on non-security (TSM) Twin Cam models.

4 Attempt normal start one time. Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine
lamp stays on. Password has not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel
flow.

5 Wait 10 seconds Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.
ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

6 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.

7 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not
be on for TC88 TSM models.

8 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not
cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

9 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not

10 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not

11 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for
TC88 TSM models.

12 Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure
is successful. Engine will start and remain running If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the Password Learning mode
was not successful. Start over at step 1.

Last edited by dafrisco; 12-23-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 03:34 PM
gdishman
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

That will not work on newer bikes. I installed my module at home and then had a wrecker come pick it up and tow it in. I used my free HOG member tow. They Charged me $35.00 to program fobs. FYI The new Snap-On Versus Edge will also work to program this plus Bleed the brakes.

Old 12-23-2018, 10:20 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Thanks guys, the next thaw will have to be when I get it programmed. To save some coin , I’ll pop in in , in the parking lot, before the roll it in.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 12-23-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:59 PM
tc66nova
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Worked for 2012 Ultra

Originally Posted by dafrisco
Here is the procedure to marry the TSSM to the bike. This is what I used on y 2007 EGC
Marrying NEW TSM/TSSM To Bike
Tssm Marriage
1 Set Run switch to Run

2 Turn Ignition key On-Off-On-Off-On-Off-On and then toggle the Left Turn Signal switch twice.

3 Turn Ignition key Off-On Verify the Check Engine lamp and Security Lamp illuminate briefly and then turn off Security lamp
will not illuminate on non-security (TSM) Twin Cam models.

4 Attempt normal start one time. Engine starts and stalls immediately. check engine
lamp stays on. Password has not been learned and sets trouble code P1009, thus stopping fuel
flow.

5 Wait 10 seconds Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not be on for TC88 TSM models.
ECM enters Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not cycle the ignition or disrupt power.

6 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed.

7 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not

8 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not

9 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp remains lit for V-Rod and TC88 with TSSM. Lamp will not

10 Wait until Security Lamp turns off or a minimum of 10 minutes has passed. Password Learning mode for 10 minutes. Do Not

11 Quickly (within 2 seconds) turn Ignition key OFF-ON Security Lamp light and then turn off. Lamp will not be on for
TC88 TSM models.

12 Turn Ignition switch OFF. Wait 15 seconds. Turn Ignition switch ON and start engine to confirm the Password Learn Procedure
is successful. Engine will start and remain running If engine immediately stalls and fails to restart the Password Learning mode
was not successful. Start over at step 1.
This process worked on my 2012 Ultra. Just be sure to either pull the headlight fuse or hook up a battery charger or you might kill the battery part way thru and have to redo the process. I married the TSSM and then rode to Stinger Harley in Medina Oh and they did both fobs for free.

Old 12-24-2018, 05:19 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Does the TSSM include the receiver and antenna or do you need some more parts? It would be a shame to go to the dealer, do all the install and be told the system still isn't all here.

Old 12-24-2018, 06:02 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by btsom
Does the TSSM include the receiver and antenna or do you need some more parts? It would be a shame to go to the dealer, do all the install and be told the system still isn't all here.
Yes, it came with the receiver, and I left that installed. It took some doing to find the wire it plugs into. I had to pull everything out and look for a wire that would fit the connector, it was buried pretty deep under the seat. Looks like it should have been clipped to the battery cover/ ECM bracket, but of course it wasn’t.

Not sure about an antenna, as there is no place to plug one into the receiver, and the parts list of what came with the kit, nor the instructions mention an antenna. The instructions state extra parts needed for various models, for example, trike and side car units need an extra bank sensor (or something of that nature)

The kit came with 2 fobs, the receiver and the TSSM.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:34 PM
tc66nova
Cruiser
Received 105 Likes on 55 Posts

Not really an antenna involved. I have heard the receiver called an antenna and vise versa. You need the TSSM, receiver/antenna and at least one fob. The receiver does clip to the top front of the battery box cover.