Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Caliper leaking after changing pads?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:20 AM
BadDogBiker
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I gave you a link to purchase the seal kit. Is that not what you need?

I don't know what kind of o-rings you have in your shop, but you do know that there are many, many different types, sizes and diameters of o-rings and some will react differently to a given fluid? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't take a chance on my brakes by installing a component that's not specifically made for brakes.
Yea after reading about it, I seen the brake caliper requires neoprene o-rings, the ones we have here at the shop are really for hydraulics, so I guess I will be buying a couple of those seal kits, thanks for the link.

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:28 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Well BadDogBiker, I guess you didn't feel like responding to the 3-4 people who were asking you about the caliper halves Bolts? One even went to the Trouble to post a pic with "mark-ups".

EDIT: that was fast

Last edited by multihdrdr; 12-27-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-27-2018 | 11:29 AM
BadDogBiker
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by strych9
Confused about the location of the leak. You said where the bolts that hold the halves together? Which one? Had you removed them for any reason?

It is the #1 bolt on the curbside caliper. I don't remember loosening it, but I was going to separate it and clean both halves up real good and bleed them. Hoping that fixes it.

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:32 AM
BadDogBiker
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by multihdrdr
Well BadDogBiker, I guess you didn't feel like responding to the 3 people who were asking you about the caliper halves Bolts? One even went to the Trouble to post a pic with "mark-ups".
I have been checking this post every day, The posts aren't even 24 hrs old. Lighten up will ya?

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:37 AM
BadDogBiker
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ben221
Did you accidentally loosen the caliper bolts that hold it together?
I don't remember loosening them as the caliper mounting bolts are a 12-point bolt and the bolts that hold the caliper together are hex head bolts. Going to try and separate both calipers and clean them up real good after talking to a riding buddy who said there could be an air pocket in the caliper prohibiting the pads from setting right.

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:42 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Riders Club Member

Originally Posted by BadDogBiker
I have been checking this post every day, The posts aren't even 24 hrs old. Lighten up will ya?
Well "Technically" ... this one is 4-1/2 days old ... But good job responding

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
Not totally sure about the newer bikes, I ride 2000 Heritage. I rebuilt my front caliper for I think $25 worth of parts. I bought a kit. Did you maybe loosen wrong screws that hold caliper together instead of pad pins? If so, simply split cakiper, clean fluid off and retorque, rebleed.

Old 12-27-2018 | 11:47 AM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member

It is the #1 bolt on the curbside caliper. I don't remember loosening it, but I was going to separate it and clean both halves up real good and bleed them. Hoping that fixes it.
That is near the brake line fitting. My fear is that you cracked the caliper by over-tightening those bolts. You should never have any leaks from just doing pads unless the piston(s) was over-extended. The halves of the caliper don't need to be separated to change pads. Air in the caliper won't cause a leak either.

You're going to need to clean the area thoroughly and pinpoint the location of the leak. Shouldn't be too difficult to do.

Old 12-28-2018 | 08:34 AM
BadDogBiker
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by strych9
That is near the brake line fitting. My fear is that you cracked the caliper by over-tightening those bolts. You should never have any leaks from just doing pads unless the piston(s) was over-extended. The halves of the caliper don't need to be separated to change pads. Air in the caliper won't cause a leak either.

You're going to need to clean the area thoroughly and pinpoint the location of the leak. Shouldn't be too difficult to do.
I will know more on Saturday when I get some time and daylight to check it. I don't have a garage and it's dark when I get home.

Old 12-04-2020 | 08:54 AM
Pantera99
Stellar HDF Member

I will know more on Saturday when I get some time and daylight to check it. I don't have a garage and it's dark when I get home.
Ever resolve this problem? I'm experiencing the same thing after doing my front brakes. Right front caliper has a slow drip from either the pistons or the halves.