Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metra 44-RM02 Aluminum Replacement Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 02:36 PM
cwobosn4
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Metra 44-RM02 Aluminum Replacement Antenna

I wanted a lower profile for my 2019 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited versus the 33" stock AM/FM antenna (reminder: the 2019's do not have CB - only one antenna). As an Amazon Add-On item, I scored the Metra 44-RM02 for less than $5 so I figured it was worth the gamble (the antenna is $15 at a local auto parts store - not sure if I can mention their name here but anyone interested can Google it).

This antenna has given me 5-star "expectations", not necessarily 5-star "performance". Allow me to explain ...

I acknowledge, the AM/FM reception is decent but not as good as the stock antenna. However, I can still pull-in my favorite two local stations that are over 40-miles (probably closer to 50-miles) away from me (that kind of reception is better than I had expected). And with my Ultra Limited having: (1) Apple Carplay, (2) Music on my phone, and (3) Music via a USB Flash Drive port, the AM/FM radio is my 3rd if not 4th entertainment option.

But all is not utopia - this is far from a perfect antenna. This antenna DOES suffer VERY BADLY on Weather Band! I estimate the WB reception is *NO better than* 50% of what I have with the stock antenna installed. Keep that in mind if you reply on WB.

So keeping *my* expectations realistic:

(1) I like the appearance of the aluminum;

(2) The 3.75" profile does not get in the way of putting on a motorcycle cover (especially an aftermarket cover that doesn't have an antenna slot), nor will it get in the way when I load it into the toy hauler if I take the bike with me when I camp;

(3) AM/FM reception is actually better than I expected (see above); and

(4) I'm not cheap, but heck - for under $5 it gives me what I'm looking for. With the cost equivalent to a 20 oz. bottle of soda including tax at a convenience store stop, my $5 gamble paid-off as it's the best dollar-for-dollar I've ever spent accessorizing ANY Harley-Davidson!

In summary, I caution that prospective buyers need to be realistic. IF you don't live near radio stations (rural area) ... and IF you don't have the other entertainment/music options that I have (you 100% reply on the AM/FM radio - and especially rely on the WB), you should go bigger in regards to the antenna. The key: if realistic in your expectations when weighing your unique circumstances & needs (incl. where you'll be riding, where you mount your antenna on the bike, etc.), you'll be satisfied. Regardless, I will not be throwing away the stock antenna as I can see situations where I will want to maximize radio reception.

Now that's a low profile - and it doesn't look bad either.

Now you can really see the LOW profile ... too low if you need OEM-comparable reception.

The following users liked this post:
gdt3 (12-21-2018)
Old 12-21-2018, 08:10 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Since you now have Apple Car Play you can stream from iHeart, etc. You will have any station available through the app regardless of range.

Old 12-21-2018, 05:14 PM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member
Received 5,248 Likes on 1,989 Posts

That’s a cute little thing. I might try one on my truck since it appears to be car wash proof.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:04 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I removed my antennas after I installed a hidden antenna under the fairing. I'd buy 2 for my limited if I could get them for 5 bucks each. I just looked on Amazon and they are 33 bucks each. I can live with just the studs on the Tour Pak. I like the look.

Old 12-22-2018, 09:08 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 49,827 Likes on 19,324 Posts

I put a couple of "vacuum caps" on my studs ... Looks like it came from the factory. :>)

Old 12-23-2018, 10:30 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I've been meaning to find something to cover them but never have. Thanks for the tip.