Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 cvo paint code

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 03:10 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,526 Posts
Default 2019 cvo paint code

Do any of you guys know where to get the paint code from, looking for 2019 cvo Black Forest. I want to paint a license plate holder but cant seem to find this paint code anywhere.

Old 12-12-2018, 03:37 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 2,303 Posts

Originally Posted by Quik
Do any of you guys know where to get the paint code from, looking for 2019 cvo Black Forest. I want to paint a license plate holder but cant seem to find this paint code anywhere.
I don't know if the MoCo makes paint codes available to the general public, especially for a '19 model bike. You might get lucky if you can get touch up paint from a dealer. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I would call Paul (https://thefairingxchange.com), if anyone knows, he does.

He can even paint the part for you

Old 12-12-2018, 05:19 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I would call Paul (https://thefairingxchange.com), if anyone knows, he does.

He can even paint the part for you
Thank you sir!

Old 12-12-2018, 05:27 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

I've always heard that the moco is very tight fisted with CVO paint. To the point you cannot buy painted tins without turning one of the same color back in. No?

Old 12-12-2018, 05:31 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by ORradtech
I've always heard that the moco is very tight fisted with CVO paint. To the point you cannot buy painted tins without turning one of the same color back in. No?
Not looking for tins, I have a 2019 cvo, I'm gonna buy a curved yaffe cvo license plate holder and i want to have it painted to match the fender. Seems like paint would have to be available, what if I wreck the bike and have a private shop fix it, how do they get the paint?

Old 12-12-2018, 06:23 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,991 Likes on 1,693 Posts

You cannot buy CVO paint, nor will the MoCo release any paint codes or pigment specs. If you want to paint something a CVO color, your only option is to find an experienced painter who can try to match it.

Edit: If you wreck the bike, you have to buy new painted parts. No other option. And, I've been told, although I don't know it to be true, that in order to buy the replacement part you have to have a CVO VIN, and the MoCo will only sell you a given part once per year, to prevent you from reselling otherwise unavailable parts.

Which means, if this is correct, if you're in a crash and replace a fender, and then a week later your bike falls over in your garage and crumples that new fender, you can have another one in 11 months and three weeks. I hope this is only one of those "internet myths", but...

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 12-12-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:51 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Not looking for tins, I have a 2019 cvo, I'm gonna buy a curved yaffe cvo license plate holder and i want to have it painted to match the fender. Seems like paint would have to be available, what if I wreck the bike and have a private shop fix it, how do they get the paint?
I understand what you're looking for. That was just an example to give you an idea how closely HD holds those colors. As said, my understanding is if it's wrecked parts are replaced not repainted. I don't believe you will ever get CVO paint. If you're fortunate enough to know a good custom painter they might be able to make a match. Good luck.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:53 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
You cannot buy CVO paint, nor will the MoCo release any paint codes or pigment specs. If you want to paint something a CVO color, your only option is to find an experienced painter who can try to match it.

Edit: If you wreck the bike, you have to buy new painted parts. No other option. And, I've been told, although I don't know it to be true, that in order to buy the replacement part you have to have a CVO VIN, and the MoCo will only sell you a given part once per year, to prevent you from reselling otherwise unavailable parts.

Which means, if this is correct, if you're in a crash and replace a fender, and then a week later your bike falls over in your garage and crumples that new fender, you can have another one in 11 months and three weeks. I hope this is only one of those "internet myths", but...
Correct, and it's anything VIN protected for that matter (crank cases, frames, etc). I have a customer in right now that crashed her XG750 in July, required a re-frame due to a bent steering stop tab. Her kid was riding it in October, and crashed it again. Another re-frame. We had to make some phone calls in order for HD to release the new frame since it was twice within 12 months. Then there's the standard rules about sending the old parts back. VIN stamped parts, CVO and anniversary parts must be returned to HD as part of the process in order to get the replacement parts.

OP- Call Custom Painted Vehicles in Franksville, WI. We send a lot of work to them, and they have successfully matched the CVO paint. You will probably have to send your part to them since they do not retail just the paint. Very nice people to work with. They'll need your VIN, year, model, etc in order to get everything looked up.

Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

... what if I wreck the bike and have a private shop fix it,..?
........ insurance buys new color matched tins

Quick Reply: 2019 cvo paint code