Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King: The Best Harley-Davidson Ever?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 01:49 PM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

I hear your arguments about comfort with the 16" wheels on bad roads (I agree with that) and also better braking and performance with big or fat tires, but these wheels make it heavy to handle at slow speed and in the twistys, I have heard that the road King standard with the 18" wheels is a bit more nimble and comfy than the RKS or your type of upgrade ( with all respect due to your ride) and I am not looking for performance, just better handling at slow speed and more easy ride to be confident as I am on my Heritage...
I would really like to compare the ride of the Road King classic with the 16" wheels and the standard with the 18" wheels, but in France there are no demo Road King in the dealership, I just must find some one who own one aand dare to let me ride it...
wait and see...

The following users liked this post:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 02:37 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Al 59
I read the whole topic from the beginning because I love the Road King and I have owned two of them.
This is the bike that made me come to Harley in 2010, the first one was a 1995 80ci evo that I kept one year and 10000 miles, I was very happy with it but for some reasons I traded it with a 1995 80ci evo Heritage that I kept 10 years and 50000 miles, I modified it many times but at the end I put it in its origin configuration which I think it's the best.
Then in 2020 I have retired and as I had much more time to ride, I felt the need of riding a Road King again, I bought a 2014 classic 103 Rushmore and fell in love again, I didn't ride much with the Heritage that I found obsolete and I sell it last spring.
During this last two years and a half, I put 25000 miles on the Road king and it was fine, but at the end as I liked it very much for its smooth ride and its majestic look, I found that with the 16" laced wheels and the big tires, it was not very nimble, particulary in France where we have smaller roads and I ride very often in the mountain and twistys, and I was pretty tired after riding.
Also
last november as it was going on 50000 miles and not to loose too much value, I decided to sell it.
At this time a friend of mine was selling his 107 ci Heritage for health reasons, so I thought it will be good for me to have a lighter bike and after test riding it we closed the deal.
I like the flexibility of the M8 engine and the very easy handling of the new Softail chassis, I also like the ols school look of the Heritage and the versatility, but after 3 month and 2500 miles, I miss the smooth ride and all the qualities of the Road King and I am a bit confused, I don't know what to do.
My heart as always swung between the Road King and the Heritage which are the expression of the classicism by Harley.
I think that the light weight of the Heritage was an excuse to justify my choice because I was not really in trouble with the weight of the Road King, I am still in good shape at the age of 63 and have long legs that help in maneuvering when stopped, just the lack of handling at slow spreed, in the mountain and the twistys with the 16" laced wheels, I know that since 2020 the Road King comes with 18" wheels and I wonder how much it increase the handling ?
If some of you could give me their opinions it will be fine...
Here are some pics of my bikes...
Greetings from France.
PS: excuse my bad english...

I actually recently recorded below video for my YouTube channel hope it might help someone

Sleeko (02-03-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 03:26 PM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Burbur2
I actually recently recorded below video for my YouTube channel hope it might help someone https://youtu.be/XqBt7kG3LHI
My friend, we are 100% in agreement!
You were dead on with everything you said!
As I myself made exact change.
If and when you change the back tire, going from the 180 to the 200 all in it's own made my ride amazingly better!
I will as well have the Legends suspension soon, but will be going with the 12" to hopefully get more of the Heritage feel as she will be about 1.5" lower with the sag.
Ride Safe✌🏼

Old 01-29-2023, 03:53 PM
commander47
Tourer
Received 344 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
..... so, according to the pic, the King's a chick bike ?

......... i didn't click thru to read the article, sorry
I'm a little late to this thread.....BUT..

if she identifies as a King,.....well, there you go.

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-30-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 870 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
My friend, we are 100% in agreement!
You were dead on with everything you said!
As I myself made exact change.
If and when you change the back tire, going from the 180 to the 200 all in it's own made my ride amazingly better!
I will as well have the Legends suspension soon, but will be going with the 12" to hopefully get more of the Heritage feel as she will be about 1.5" lower with the sag.
Ride Safe✌🏼
Appreciate your kind comment

Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-29-2023)
Old 01-29-2023, 05:35 PM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team
Veteran: Air Force
Received 1,748 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Dumb question but doesn't the Heritage have 16" rims just like older Roadkings?

Last edited by Cornpipe; 01-29-2023 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-30-2023, 03:05 AM
Big Al 59
HDF Community Team
Received 419 Likes on 260 Posts

Yes the Heritage has 16" rims, but the chassis is very different and the bike is much more nimble also with the less weight...
But I don't understand what Bayou wants to do by lowering the suspension to 12" instead of the original 13", the comfort will be less good, especially since the tire in 200 must be a low size...

Old 01-30-2023, 07:21 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Yes the Heritage has 16" rims, but the chassis is very different and the bike is much more nimble also with the less weight...
But I don't understand what Bayou wants to do by lowering the suspension to 12" instead of the original 13", the comfort will be less good, especially since the tire in 200 must be a low size...
Well I've never owned or ridden a Heritage but my 20 RKS handles like a sports car!

The following 2 users liked this post by Cornpipe:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (01-30-2023), SWMB (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 07:59 AM
Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
Supporter
Received 566 Likes on 366 Posts

I spent my younger life riding shovehead custom choppers and still have a few of them including 1 Pan and a few are
hardtails that sit very low. Low is a natural feeling and the Heritage was very close to that natural feel for me. So yes I will sacrifice a small bit of comfort and or handling to get low.

This is a couple of them and even the 75FLH with shocks has the shock mount modified to bring bike down quite a bit.
The grey was built and painted that color in 1997 so it is just now recently looking like so many of these non colored bikes.😜 I built Red in 2000. Grey was my daily rider until 2008 and red has always been my short ride bike when we made short rides as a group. 16 PSI was my suspension on the red chopper and she actually didn't ride any rougher than these lowered Softails I was riding with back in the day.
Also have a 62 Pan on a HD hardtail with wide glide and crazy Frank fender and a 68 Shovel on a stretched and raked HD hardtail frame that has a 18 over springer that needs put back together (too many projects for sure).
Father had a custom build shop most my life until he passed a few years back. We did all our own work mechanical and paint and body. His primary business was engines and tranny's.
As only son I inherited shop full of bikes and too many tools. Never thought you can have too many but he had been wrenching since 60s and then I built up my own collection.🤯

The following 2 users liked this post by Bayou FLHR-M8-128":
Ken45 (02-05-2023), s-glide76 (01-30-2023)
Old 01-30-2023, 08:18 AM
Cornpipe
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Bayou FLHR-M8-128"
I spent my younger life riding shovehead custom choppers and still have a few of them including 1 Pan and a few are
hardtails that sit very low. Low is a natural feeling and the Heritage was very close to that natural feel for me. So yes I will sacrifice a small bit of comfort and or handling to get low.

This is a couple of them and even the 75FLH with shocks has the shock mount modified to bring bike down quite a bit.
The grey was built and painted that color in 1997 so it is just now recently looking like so many of these non colored bikes.😜 I built Red in 2000. Grey was my daily rider until 2008 and red has always been my short ride bike when we made short rides as a group. 16 PSI was my suspension on the red chopper and she actually didn't ride any rougher than these lowered Softails I was riding with back in the day.
Also have a 62 Pan on a HD hardtail with wide glide and crazy Frank fender and a 68 Shovel on a stretched and raked HD hardtail frame that has a 18 over springer that needs put back together (too many projects for sure).
Father had a custom build shop most my life until he passed a few years back. We did all our own work mechanical and paint and body. His primary business was engines and tranny's.
As only son I inherited shop full of bikes and too many tools. Never thought you can have too many but he had been wrenching since 60s and then I built up my own collection.🤯
Very nice Bayou and what a great way to grow up. You must have a ton of great memories of your Pop.

Quick Reply: Road King: The Best Harley-Davidson Ever?