Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a stupid question on how to get sound to the free headphones and mic

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2018, 10:17 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,206 Likes on 1,555 Posts
Default Got a stupid question on how to get sound to the free headphones and mic

Just testing. Tried to plug the supplied corded headphones and mic in to the outlet on the gas tank. Can't get anything to the headphones. What am I missing? I tried the settings but I don't see anything to route the sound to th headphones? Haven't updated my sig yet so this is for a 2019 Electra Glide Ultra.
Fixing to go out and play with it some more, maybe I can figure it out.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:29 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

do you have sound coming out of the speakers in the fairing ?

on my '16 you go to the menu screen & choose headset or speakers
& make sure the cord is securely plugged into the helmet headset

Old 12-06-2018, 04:07 AM
Mxdad
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 459 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
Just testing. Tried to plug the supplied corded headphones and mic in to the outlet on the gas tank. Can't get anything to the headphones. What am I missing? I tried the settings but I don't see anything to route the sound to th headphones? Haven't updated my sig yet so this is for a 2019 Electra Glide Ultra.
Fixing to go out and play with it some more, maybe I can figure it out.
Press the toggle on the left side of the bars to get to the main menu
Select setup
under the set up screen you will see "Speakers/Headset" select that it allows you to toggle between the bike speakers and the headset

Old 12-06-2018, 06:39 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

Plus once you get to the headset you have to turn the volume up and this goes for each separate thing you are listening to , music, prompts, intercom plus intercom has vox to deal with.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 330 Likes on 175 Posts

Also make sure the cord is securely plugged in to the headset end.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:14 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry for the late reply guys, I've been busy today and away from home most of the day.
Finally got it figured out. Of course it was simple to make work once I figured out what side of the buttons on the touch screen to touch instead of in the middle. First time, I couldn't figure out what I did to make it work then couldn't figure out how to turn back to the bike speakers.
Now, that's good. I've got several other things to figure out on the audio system. One being the fancy helmet I purchased to keep from having to wear a mic or to be plugged up to the bike. The helmet works flawlessly with my phone. I can actually hear my phone better through the helmet. "The helmet is, Helmet 12 BOOM Bluetooth P/N 98316-18VX/000M."

The instructions for hook up to the radio calls for going to menu/wireless headset setup. I don't have wireless headset setup in my menu. The instructions state if wireless headset is not in the menu then my bike is not equipped with a WHIM. Well woopie doo. Looks like CVO's come with WHIM's standard and it appears to be about a grand upgrade from Harley to install a WHIM. They 'Harley" can go fly a kite. "That's prudent language to what I had in my mind".
Hmmmm, The folks at the Harley place should have known about this possible problem but I assume a sale is a sale.

The jury is still out on the helmet. I need to see if I can make it work like I want with the bike and my phone. If not, it's going back to Harley. I'll use my old beat up helmet and put the headset I've got on it and go wired.
I'll play with the fancy helmet tomorrow.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:47 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
Looks like CVO's come with WHIM's standard and it appears to be about a grand upgrade from Harley to install a WHIM.
The WHiM is $300 list price and takes less than 1/2 hour to install, plus a few minutes at the dealer to enable it in software.

Last edited by FurryOne; 12-06-2018 at 06:50 PM.
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by FurryOne
The WHiM is $300 list price and takes less than 1/2 hour to install, plus a few minutes at the dealer to enable it in software.
Found one at $254 online with free shipping. Only problem is the HD dealership has to do the flash.

Old 12-07-2018, 09:39 PM
ChaseTheRide
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Also once you install the WHIM your wired will not work any longer. Also only the Harley brand head set will work it if you want stereo sound, even though the head set is a Sena 20S. The head set has Harley specific software for the WHIM. The headset also has about 4 hours less battery life than the standard 20S Sena.

If you want wireless toss the Harley crap and go all Sena. Get a Freewire and what ever Sena head set you want. It will give you all the functions of the Harley setup, better battery life, don't have to pay the dealer $50 to flash, and your hard wire will still work if you ever want to use it (maybe on another helmet) I have this setup and love it.

The following users liked this post:
Down South (12-07-2018)
Old 12-07-2018, 09:48 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by ChaseTheRide
Also once you install the WHIM your wired will not work any longer. Also only the Harley brand head set will work it if you want stereo sound, even though the head set is a Sena 20S. The head set has Harley specific software for the WHIM. The headset also has about 4 hours less battery life than the standard 20S Sena.

If you want wireless toss the Harley crap and go all Sena. Get a Freewire and what ever Sena head set you want. It will give you all the functions of the Harley setup, better battery life, don't have to pay the dealer $50 to flash, and your hard wire will still work if you ever want to use it (maybe on another helmet) I have this setup and love it.
Thanks for the info. Gotta check that out.

Sam