Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Road Glide Battery Issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 05:58 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

If the tender shows it's charging the battery, you just need a little more patience. If it was that dead it's going to take a very time with the tender. I'm surprised it came on if the battery was that dead but since it did, it will eventually charge it enough to start. When it does, take it for a ride for at least twenty minutes and that should charge it enough to be good. I bet the battery will recover and be fine for a long time.

For peace of mind, take the battery out and take it to an auto parts store or even better, a Batteries Plus if there is onw near you and ask them to test it. They will tell you they can't test a dead battery and ask you to leave it. They will charge it for you and then test it. If it passes, you got a free battery charge, if not, then Batteries Plus sells a Duracell that has a two year warranty. You won't find a battery warranty better than that,.

Unless it's changed, a new battery warranty is only good for a year so you may or may not be under warranty. Replacement from the dealer are only 6 mos.

Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by EdwardK:
band1t (12-04-2018), Redlegvzv (07-21-2021)
Old 12-04-2018, 06:28 PM
band1t
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
If the tender shows it's charging the battery, you just need a little more patience. If it was that dead it's going to take a very time with the tender. I'm surprised it came on if the battery was that dead but since it did, it will eventually charge it enough to start. When it does, take it for a ride for at least twenty minutes and that should charge it enough to be good. I bet the battery will recover and be fine for a long time.

For peace of mind, take the battery out and take it to an auto parts store or even better, a Batteries Plus if there is one near you and ask them to test it. They will tell you they can't test a dead battery and ask you to leave it. They will charge it for you and then test it. If it passes, you got a free battery charge, if not, then Batteries Plus sells a Duracell that has a two year warranty. You won't find a battery warranty better than that,.

Unless it's changed, a new battery warranty is only good for a year so you may or may not be under warranty. Replacement from the dealer are only 6 mos.

Good luck.
Thanks, appreciate that perspective.

We've owned alot of sport bikes (and other Harleys) and I think I'm just used to most batteries being fine after being on the tender overnight. I'll leave it on the tender for now, but I also ordered an actual charger as a backup plan in case a few more days go by and it's still not showing any improvement. If that fails, I will probably just remove the battery and take it to Batteries Plus. If it works, I'll probably ride it around for ~20 minutes, bring it home and make sure it starts up fairly regularly at home before relying on it.

As I mentioned previously, I do need to take it for a recall service anyway, so at that point I may look into getting it all checked out to make sure things are good. My only hesitation there is them saying "oh yeah of course, you need a new one." Lol.

Last edited by band1t; 12-04-2018 at 06:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (07-21-2021)
Old 12-04-2018, 08:00 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

When we have a bike come in with a dead battery in a scenario we put it on our Midtronix tester, which charges and tests the battery. Typically it will cycle for up to two hours between 10 and 15 amps in order to bring the battery back. The only way warranty will cover a battery is with the Midtronix GRX printout with the warranty number, and the test indicated a bad battery. If the bike is to be parked for more than two weeks plug it into a battery maintainer or remove the main fuse.

The following users liked this post:
Redlegvzv (07-21-2021)
Old 12-05-2018, 11:31 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 517 Posts

Good idea posting everything about the maintainer, but leaves me with a question. Does that maintainer AUTOMATICALLY change from 6 to 12 volts? If it does, and your battery was dead, the maintainer may have assumed it was a 6 volt battery and that is all the farther it charged. If it is 12 volts only, there is a good chance the battery is shot. All of the suggestions above are good for that case.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:34 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,690 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by band1t
As I mentioned previously, I do need to take it for a recall service anyway,.
If your recall is for the hydraulic clutch, call your dealer first. Parts/kits for this may still have limited availability, and the replacement takes 1-2 hours. I’m still waiting for the parts/kit. Bikes already in the dealership are first in line.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:57 PM
band1t
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Read what the maker of your AMG glass mat battery says. Usually it's below 1 Amp. And it is going to take 24+ hrs . Depends on reserve CCA capicity. People have all types of ideas. Make sure your connections at the battery are tight. It has to be charged to check what CCA reserve is.. (except of course for a ground or such that just comes back bad battery)
My experience around here is most checkers do not work well with small batteries.

Quit trying to crank it till you get 12.7 volts or so on it with the headlights flipped on and then off to kill charger surface charge of about 14.6) The volts should not drop below 9.6 DC when cranking. You need an AC/DC/OHM meter.
So I checked it Tuesday night and last night, both times with just headlights on it went to about 11. I have a NOCO 3500 charger scheduled for delivery today, I will get that hooked up tonight and then check it tomorrow to see if it made a difference.

Originally Posted by Fullbore55

If your recall is for the hydraulic clutch, call your dealer first. Parts/kits for this may still have limited availability, and the replacement takes 1-2 hours. I’m still waiting for the parts/kit. Bikes already in the dealership are first in line.
I'd have to double check the paper but I do believe that's what it was. I will call first, I think that's what it said to do actually. Thanks!

Last edited by band1t; 12-06-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 07:00 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

If it's still that low and the tender says it's charging, you probably will need it replaced. Did you try to start it again? Can't hurt at this point. Only way to know for sure is to charge it with a real charger and then put a load tester on it.

Old 12-06-2018, 11:32 PM
Silent_Sapper
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

So i am having a similiar issue with my 2017 SG, however living in Hawaii I ride almost daily, went out this morning and just a zapping noise ride is about 20 miles from home to wqork so charge should be accomplished in this time. The cold weather is basically non existant. I put my tender on it, still zapping sound i have it back on the tender to top it off, then i am going to check the voltage under load to make sure its not going below 9.5v. Should this HD battery have already **** the bed? I am hoping its not anything major.... but if i do need a new battery AGM or Lith Ion?

Old 12-07-2018, 10:30 AM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 242 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Silent_Sapper
So i am having a similiar issue with my 2017 SG, however living in Hawaii I ride almost daily, went out this morning and just a zapping noise ride is about 20 miles from home to wqork so charge should be accomplished in this time. The cold weather is basically non existant. I put my tender on it, still zapping sound i have it back on the tender to top it off, then i am going to check the voltage under load to make sure its not going below 9.5v. Should this HD battery have already **** the bed? I am hoping its not anything major.... but if i do need a new battery AGM or Lith Ion?
AGM unless money is no object - LiOn batteries are ridiculously priced.

Anything more than 4 years out of a battery these days (auto or motorcycle) is on borrowed time.

There have been a few threads recently on buying replacement motorcycle batteries - if you are potentially in need search and read through those for all the recent feedback.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:48 AM
Silent_Sapper
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H92064

AGM unless money is no object - LiOn batteries are ridiculously priced.

Anything more than 4 years out of a battery these days (auto or motorcycle) is on borrowed time.

There have been a few threads recently on buying replacement motorcycle batteries - if you are potentially in need search and read through those for all the recent feedback.
i am looking at the fact my battery just struck 2 years, I hear lithion has a much longer life. So the $180 that hd wants for their trashy AGM or $299 for a lith ion that can last double or longer from what I understand. Or is this fake news?

Quick Reply: 2017 Road Glide Battery Issue