Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95" upgrade, any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 02:16 PM
05flhpi
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95" upgrade, any thoughts?

I have a 2005 Roadking with air cleaner kit, PCIII and V+H TruDuals w/slip on mufflers. I am wanting more low and mid range power so I have been looking to up grade the ol 88. I am looking at the big bore 95" cylinders, 203 cam, HC Cast Pistons, and Adj. Pushrods. Screamin eagle says the Cast pistons are 10.25:1 with stock heads. Will I need to install compression release valves? Anyone have a similar set up? Any thoughts on the 204 cam? I am a longtime automechanic and plan to do all the work myself. I know a lot of people would say, get what you want now and not wish later, but working on my bike is a hobby and money permit project. So I guess I don't need the best right away. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 02:25 PM
anzac
Intermediate
Default RE: 95" upgrade, any thoughts?

I have an 2006 roadking and I upgraded to a 95" with a Dave Mackie engine kit, ( this was done for me). It was the best thing I could have done, no worries about hills or having instant power to avoid cars. I would highly recommend it, I also have a six speed gear box.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:00 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a '05 Ultra. I did NOT get the HD 95" kit. Do NOT put cast pistons back in there. I did the 95" jugs, FORGED pistons, SE ported heads, quick adjust pushrods, and SE251 cams. I already had V&H True Duals, Kerker slip-on's, SE A/C, and PCIII. I'm getting 99.4 on the torque and 96 HP.

Hindsight... I didn't know about Head Quarters at the time, but I would have gone with their 98" kit... MORE POWER. At some point I may stroke mine out, change cams and heads... BUT.. right now I have a hard on for a RK to costomize (new word) myself.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

I would suggest going with different cams instead of the 203. Some of the suggestions on this board includes Andrews 37G & 26G and Kuryakyn Wild Thing. While you're there, also convert your cams to gear drive and remove the chains and tensioners too.

Ultra also mentioned porting the heads, forged pistons, and pushrods. Good idea if you can afford it. But, at a minimum, have the heads inspected for burnt valves and worn guides/seals. Have any carbon removed if necessary. You'll see a significantly different engine, with more HP and TQ.

Good Luck.

ORIGINAL: 05flhpi

I have a 2005 Roadking with air cleaner kit, PCIII and V+H TruDuals w/slip on mufflers. I am wanting more low and mid range power so I have been looking to up grade the ol 88. I am looking at the big bore 95" cylinders, 203 cam, HC Cast Pistons, and Adj. Pushrods. Screamin eagle says the Cast pistons are 10.25:1 with stock heads. Will I need to install compression release valves? Anyone have a similar set up? Any thoughts on the 204 cam? I am a longtime automechanic and plan to do all the work myself. I know a lot of people would say, get what you want now and not wish later, but working on my bike is a hobby and money permit project. So I guess I don't need the best right away. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't waste your money on the S/E stuff............there is much better stuff out there that will perform much better also.

If I was to do it over again (or if I find the money to get it done next winter), I would go with the GMR 98" piston/cylinder kit, HQ-0039G cams, and have HQ do the head work on my heads with 10.5-1 compression. That along with my exhaust and air cleaner would be good for 115/115+ with a good tune.......or get a Thundermax or DTT and not worry about the tune.

Steve

Old 07-03-2007, 06:38 PM
amstaffs
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Zippers CNC ported heads and Wiseco 10.5:1 pistons and red shift 577 cams and 50mm throttle body and intake Bassani mufflers and v&h header pipes and it makes 108tq and 106 hp on a tune that is way to fat about to have it retuned at Ray Price HD on the 10th. And i dont have releases

Old 07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Talk to Head-Quarters, GMR and other reputable TC engine people. Piecemealing a motor usually tends to waste $$$ even if you do enjoy tearing your motor apart on a more or less regular basis.

And be sure to have a good tuner handy, learn to use the SERT, or buy the DTT or Tmax and learn to use the one you buy because even the best build will be disappointing unless it is tuned competently.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Talk to Head-Quarters, GMR and other reputable TC engine people. Piecemealing a motor usually tends to waste $$$ even if you do enjoy tearing your motor apart on a more or less regular basis.

And be sure to have a good tuner handy, learn to use the SERT, or buy the DTT or Tmax and learn to use the one you buy because even the best build will be disappointing unless it is tuned competently.
Carl makes a number of good points here!

If a package from someone like HeadQuarters, R&R, Zippers, Gmr, etc is not in your budget, then a simple bigbore and nice set of "bagger cams" (HQ-0034, Andrews 26) would make a huge improvement over stock, but you really should consider what you want to accomplish and plan accordingly. MANY of us have built and RE-built because we didn't take time to decide what we really wanted and do the requisite research. Instead, we just bought some of this & that and hoped it would work.

As Carl mentioned, the key to ANY build is getting the proper tune on it once you're done. W/O that, the best build makes only mediocre results.

Homework, homework, homework.

btw - on mild builds, the S/E cast pistons are fine and because they have teflon impregnated skirts, they tend to run nice & quite. Now, if you bump compression and want to make some decent power (100/100+), then forged is the way to go.

Good luck & keep us posted.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM
05flhpi
Advanced

Some very good replies, thanks guys. I am certainly doing more research. I am planning around 1K as a budget...maybe...or maybe not.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:35 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone know what that 98" set up from HQ runs, price wise. I would love it, just need to know how much I need to save up. My wife recently inherited a '86 Yamaha 700 cc Fazor, and she can just about pull away from me. Obviously, that is unacceptable. I need more power!!!

Quick Reply: 95" upgrade, any thoughts?