Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air ride or adjustable shock

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Air ride or adjustable shock

My question is for those who have ridden the newer suspension with the adjustable rear shock via a **** behind the left saddlebag vs. The older air ride shocks. Which one do you think rides better?

Old 12-01-2018, 07:51 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I think the Premium adjustable ride better that the Air, but neither are as good as several of the aftermarket shocks.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:37 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,045 Likes on 7,313 Posts

The original air ride HD shocks are the WORST shock in history. They constantly leak and are always in need of air or have too much air. A real hassle constantly checking and adding air.

Two years ago on a 2016 Limited I made the decision to switch to Pro Action. The difference was amazing, really hard to imagine how much of an improvement it was. The bike rode so much better, it handed so much better and no more adding air or adjusting. Just get on, ride and enjoy.

The next year we upgraded to a new 2017 CVO Limited which had the newer HD adjustable shocks. At first glance they did not look like much compared to the Pro-Action but I decided to give them a try. My wife you rides a lot in the passenger seat told me they were not even close and suggested we switch them for Pro-Action. Now 11k miles later we are still very glad we did.

If you try them you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. The absolute best upgrade you can do for your bike.

Old 12-01-2018, 08:51 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 487 Likes on 355 Posts

Yes, the premium hand adjustable shocks ride better than the air adjustable shocks. But neither set offers a good ride. You'll be much happier with a quality set of aftermarket Ohlins, bitubo, Pro-Action or Progressive. Just sayin'.

Old 12-01-2018, 09:15 PM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer

Yea I figured aftermarket beats everything, I was just wondering how much of an improvement the dial adjustables were over the air adjustables.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:49 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddieselsmoke
Yea I figured aftermarket beats everything, I was just wondering how much of an improvement the dial adjustables were over the air adjustables.
It's dial "adjustable", not "adjustables". Only the left shock is adjustable, the right isn't. Another brilliant move by Harley.

Old 12-01-2018, 11:26 PM
Jonny Rotten
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 69 Posts

There been a few shock threads lately.I just got my first harley a few months back and thought the seat was the big comfort changer. Do shocks really make that much of a difference? I put on a Sundowner seat and it seems pretty cushy. Will I be floating on air with new shocks?
Ordering a shock pump to mess with my PSI out of curiosity
2015 RK
250 lbs

Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer

Originally Posted by FurryOne
It's dial "adjustable", not "adjustables". Only the left shock is adjustable, the right isn't. Another brilliant move by Harley.
yes I knew it was only the left is adjustable. I just fat fingered a key. Now what is the right shock purpose? Rebound or looks?

Old 12-02-2018, 09:08 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,319 Likes on 1,587 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmic Razorback
The original air ride HD shocks are the WORST shock in history. They constantly leak and are always in need of air or have too much air. A real hassle constantly checking and adding air.

Two years ago on a 2016 Limited I made the decision to switch to Pro Action. The difference was amazing, really hard to imagine how much of an improvement it was. The bike rode so much better, it handed so much better and no more adding air or adjusting. Just get on, ride and enjoy.

The next year we upgraded to a new 2017 CVO Limited which had the newer HD adjustable shocks. At first glance they did not look like much compared to the Pro-Action but I decided to give them a try. My wife you rides a lot in the passenger seat told me they were not even close and suggested we switch them for Pro-Action. Now 11k miles later we are still very glad we did.

If you try them you will kick yourself for not doing it sooner. The absolute best upgrade you can do for your bike.

Ditto x100

The following users liked this post:
Cosmic Razorback (12-02-2018)
Old 12-02-2018, 12:57 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

Ditch the HD/SHOWA crap suspension FRONT AND REAR and you will not regret it.

If you improve the back without addressing the front, you end up in a worse position IMHO

I did Progressive shocks, and the bike handled like crap until I did the front to match the back.

HD stock suspension is the worst thing on any HD, but the item most people ignore.

and for heavens sake stay away from air shocks.

Something where you can add or subtract spring, and adjust compression/rebound will make you happy

Quick Reply: Air ride or adjustable shock