Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding 20w shock oil to air shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018 | 09:07 AM
Stel67
Tourer

I have changed the oil in my air shocks before. Not hard to do but it does not make that much difference, I actually went softer. Since you are looking to firm up the ride by going to heavier oil I think you will just find it makes the ride harsher. For your situation you really need to get an upgraded shock such as ohlins or progressive set up for your weight and ridding style and get rid of the air shocks.

Old 12-03-2018 | 11:08 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy

Buy the oil at a motorcycle store, or mail order it. It’s not engine oil, the viscosity measurement is different.

if you really want to get it nice, buy three jugs from the same manufacturer (because there is no viscosity standard), say 10, 15 & 20. Switch, ride, write your findings.

Is this going to be better than a really good performance shock? No. But it will do well, for pocket change.

The stock shocks are Showa, which is Honda. Specifically, they are gold wing shocks. Because plenty of info on rebuilding them, changing the oil, etc.

i think the oem oil quantity is something like 12.7 oz. But folk run between 10-14 oz. the higher level reduces the air bubble, slightly increasing pneumatic spring rate on compression. In theory, this would help reduce bottoming out.

Think I went 14 oz myself, but I’d have to check my notes to be sure. Think I went 20 wt, but it could have been 15. Again, notes. The ride is not butter soft, and I may go thinner for s softer ride. But, I very rarely bottom out as is. It takes hard riding on rough roads or trails to do that. Though the occasional pot hole can do it to.

Last edited by foxtrapper; 12-03-2018 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-03-2018 | 11:24 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior
Veteran: Air Force

I used type F ATF. I am over 300 pounds and the wife...she isn't quite as small as when we married. I only have to put in about 20 psi now and never hit bottom. The shocks hold 10 ounces each on my 2008. Any more would just get into the lines. To get just the right amount of fluid, I compressed them in my press upright and the excess just ran out.

The following users liked this post:
not yours (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018 | 01:50 PM
not yours
|
Club Member
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by skratch
i'm trying really, really hard not to go there ;D
Lol, didn’t notice what I posted until now, I’m 6’1” and weigh 240Lbs

Old 12-03-2018 | 01:53 PM
not yours
|
Club Member
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by not yours
Thanks for all the replies guys, when I first started thinking about this I had already installed a pair of HD 12” hand adjustables. Mine were the 13” on a 2011 Ultra classic ( and I still have them ) Would it be better to stay with the adjustable shocks or change the fluid and put the OEM’s back on? I’m 6” 140Lbs normally ride solo but sometimes the Ol’Lady will ride and she is 5’11 and about 120lbs. Thanks
Sorry everybody but I’m 6’1” and weigh 240Lbs and the Ol’Lady is 5’11” and don’t want shoot myself in the foot 200ish LBs

Last edited by not yours; 12-03-2018 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-03-2018 | 02:04 PM
not yours
|
Club Member
Default Shocks

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I used type F ATF. I am over 300 pounds and the wife...she isn't quite as small as when we married. I only have to put in about 20 psi now and never hit bottom. The shocks hold 10 ounces each on my 2008. Any more would just get into the lines. To get just the right amount of fluid, I compressed them in my press upright and the excess just ran out.
Did you compress the shocks completely? Did you add the fluid before you compressed them and let the access drain or did you compress fully then add 10 ounces? ATF F ( Ford ) ? Why ATF and not suspension fluid?

Last edited by not yours; 12-03-2018 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Add something
Old 12-06-2018 | 11:24 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by not yours

Did you compress the shocks completely? Did you add the fluid before you compressed them and let the access drain or did you compress fully then add 10 ounces? ATF F ( Ford ) ? Why ATF and not suspension fluid?
It has been a while, but if I remember correctly, I let the shocks suck in the oil, maybe a couple times while releasing them in the press. Then after I overfilled them, I kept them upright and compressed the shock. This pushed out any excess oil. 10 ounces in each shock is the right amount for my 2008. I used type F ATF because it is the best ATF and ATF is a high quality hydraulic oil. I suspect any hydraulic oil would work, but someone on this forum had used it successfully. It is a little heavier than stock shock oil. I do not know exactly what the viscosity is though.

not yours (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018 | 11:51 AM
Cogswell
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
It has been a while, but if I remember correctly, I let the shocks suck in the oil, maybe a couple times while releasing them in the press. Then after I overfilled them, I kept them upright and compressed the shock. This pushed out any excess oil. 10 ounces in each shock is the right amount for my 2008. I used type F ATF because it is the best ATF and ATF is a high quality hydraulic oil. I suspect any hydraulic oil would work, but someone on this forum had used it successfully. It is a little heavier than stock shock oil. I do not know exactly what the viscosity is though.
ATF is in the neighborhood of 7wt, and has been widely used in forks for 40+ years. It should work well in the shocks if you want that light weight of a oil.

not yours (12-06-2018)
Old 12-06-2018 | 01:54 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Cogswell
ATF is in the neighborhood of 7wt, and has been widely used in forks for 40+ years. It should work well in the shocks if you want that light weight of a oil.
It made a huge difference. Only need about 20 psi in the shocks now.

not yours (12-06-2018)
Old 12-28-2018 | 09:22 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by foxtrapper
Buy the oil at a motorcycle store, or mail order it. It’s not engine oil, the viscosity measurement is different.

if you really want to get it nice, buy three jugs from the same manufacturer (because there is no viscosity standard), say 10, 15 & 20. Switch, ride, write your findings.

Is this going to be better than a really good performance shock? No. But it will do well, for pocket change.

The stock shocks are Showa, which is Honda. Specifically, they are gold wing shocks. Because plenty of info on rebuilding them, changing the oil, etc.

i think the oem oil quantity is something like 12.7 oz. But folk run between 10-14 oz. the higher level reduces the air bubble, slightly increasing pneumatic spring rate on compression. In theory, this would help reduce bottoming out.

Think I went 14 oz myself, but I’d have to check my notes to be sure. Think I went 20 wt, but it could have been 15. Again, notes. The ride is not butter soft, and I may go thinner for s softer ride. But, I very rarely bottom out as is. It takes hard riding on rough roads or trails to do that. Though the occasional pot hole can do it to.
I just drained one of my shocks on my 2015 Limited with 13" air shocks. No leaks so it should be what was put in. I got 12 fl oz in measuring cup, It was cloudy, but not dirty so am somewhat impressed with that. Mine bottoms out if I hit something hard, even with 30 lbs of air. I wish I knew what weight was there now so I could go up one level. I am leaning toward Bel Ray 7.5 wt, I come in at 200lbs, never ride two up, but pack when on long trips.

not yours (12-30-2018)

Quick Reply: Adding 20w shock oil to air shocks?