Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy a new touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2018, 08:48 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts
Default Going to buy a new touring bike

My bike now is a 2002 RKC. It has a 95 CI upgrade and is a blast to ride. It looks great, runs great and sounds great with the Vance Hines slip on's. I plan to keep it and add an extra bike to the corral.
My problem is that my wife and I are getting older and after a couple hours on my current bike, our backs and butts are hurting. I know that I could do the seat swap out thing but I'd like something comfortable with a few luxuries such as stereo, GPS and such. Plus my old RK is getting old and I want to make some long trips.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a more comfortable bike for long road trips. I went by my local HD dealer today window shopping. It looks like a Road Glide Ultra might fit the bill?
LOL, they were drooling to sell me a bike. But, it is winter and I can sit on it until at least spring. Let em suffer.

Anyway, I look forward to the replies of our members here.

Sam

Old 11-28-2018, 09:09 PM
Dynamick
Not a Moderator!
Received 7,216 Likes on 3,428 Posts

The Road Glide Ultra, Ultra Classic and Ultra Limited would all be great choices for comfortable two-up touring. I'd stay away from the Street Glide and standard Road Glide; 12" shocks with 2" of travel is not a good recipe for comfort.

The following users liked this post:
Down South (11-28-2018)
Old 11-28-2018, 11:03 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Put a Road Glide fairing and a Tour Pak on your King. Give MCC a call on a seat mod. Buy beer with the money saved.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:06 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,868 Likes on 11,603 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South

LOL, they were drooling to sell me a bike. But, it is winter and I can sit on it until at least spring. Let em suffer.
Yeah...those Louisiana winters are really tough. What’s with the attitude?

Old 11-28-2018, 11:10 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 380 Posts

Road glide for the win

Old 11-28-2018, 11:27 PM
MatteGlide15
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 600 Posts

Plan on touring......??? Get a Roadglide

Old 11-28-2018, 11:47 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

It looks like a Road Glide Ultra might fit the bill?
...... you, are a smart man, Sam

.. i may be a little biased, but the RGU is one fine touring machine.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:28 AM
assiniboine
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,157 Likes on 3,127 Posts

My bike now is a 2002 RKC. It has a 95 CI upgrade and is a blast to ride. It looks great, runs great and sounds great with the Vance Hines slip on's. I plan to keep it and add an extra bike to the corral.
My problem is that my wife and I are getting older and after a couple hours on my current bike, our backs and butts are hurting. I know that I could do the seat swap out thing but I'd like something comfortable with a few luxuries such as stereo, GPS and such. Plus my old RK is getting old and I want to make some long trips.

So, I'm looking for suggestions on a more comfortable bike for long road trips. I went by my local HD dealer today window shopping. It looks like a Road Glide Ultra might fit the bill?

Anyway, I look forward to the replies of our members here.

Sam
What a fk'n delightful position to find yourself in, eh? lol

My advice would be to definitely get ur partner involved to some degree in the final decision.

My money would be on the Ultra Limited.

Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I did the same thing. Kept my Road King and got a Limited. My wife will not ride on the Road King any more so I made it a solo and use it to commute every day. The Limited is the play bike and what we tour on or ride on the weekends together. The only thing better than a Harley in your garage is two. I love walking into my garage and then deciding which one to ride. Also great when you want to work on or need to take one to the shop. You always have a spare bike.

A couple of suggestions. Let your wife pick it out with you having right if refusal if she picks some ugly color. I sometimes refer to the Limited as her bike even though she has no desire to ride a bike other than on the back seat. She smiles when I do that. Then ask her what she wants to do to make it hers. She wont mind you forking out more money on seat upgrades, comfort mods and any bling you might like. My other suggestions is to walk in on December 31st ready to buy that day and beat them up on the price. Last day of the year they will do everything they can to sell you the bike. Better chance to get a deal. Worst case, you can always walk away but If you wait until the spring when everyone is buying a bike, they wont be as willing to deal.

The following users liked this post:
mazz (12-02-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Actually, it's the wife who is twisting my arm to buy another bike. She was with me when I dropped by the HD dealer to just look. She had picked out two bikes she liked and was wanting me to start getting pricing. I had to slow her down and explain that I don't make quick decisions on a large purchase.
The first one she took fancy to was a 2016 RGU with 1,056 miles on it. "How does anyone with a 2-3 yr old bike only have 1,056 miles on it?"
Then we went over and looked at new bikes. Oh well, a new bike will probably be in near future.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a new touring bike