Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy a new touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2018, 07:02 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by mastergunnera8
I test rose the new Yamaha and Gold Wing, I'm a bigger guy, but was shocked the how much the GW was like a sport bike, NOT a touring bike..the suspension, engine were amazing...but ankles under butt peg position, shifter below the peg, doesn't seem like much around or in front of you (mass)..I really wanted to love it...the last version, maybe, new one, wont work for me...hopped back on my 2016 RG ultra and comforted my way home...dont overlook that 16!!! could be a killer deal!!!...good luck!! Ride them all!!!
I'm thinking along the same lines about the 2016 with 1000 miles on it. I've got to go right past them Tuesday for other business. I looked at the Kelly Blue Book resale value on that bike and they are below on what they are asking. I'm gonna drop in and see if i can make a deal. If not, I'll shop around a bit and let em sweat.

Old 12-01-2018, 07:21 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

Go do a test ride on a new Honda Goldwing you’ll never go back to Harley Davidson again.

The following users liked this post:
Just Me (12-03-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 07:22 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have had my 01 Road King since new and a butt load has been done to it, mechanical and cosmetic. Am now on my 3rd Road Glide since having the King. Myself I like the ability to strip down my bikes and have a Tour Pack for both current bikes. I also believe in upgraded shocks, 13" Pro Action on the RGS and Progressive on the Road King. If you are not in a hurry play the game and sweat the dealership of your choice for every penny you can. Best of luck and get what you really want. If it were me I would have to have a 2019.

Old 12-02-2018, 06:16 AM
assiniboine
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,158 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
Go do a test ride on a new Honda Goldwing you’ll never go back to Harley Davidson again.
Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders: Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene
gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise
arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories
dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height,
programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation
system.
1. Couldn't find the 'auto wave back' button on dashboard.

The following 3 users liked this post by assiniboine:
mmowrey (12-02-2018), nobodyknowsme (12-02-2018), SWMB (12-02-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 01:58 AM
Old Iron Man
Tourer
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I bought a 2018 DCT tour 3 weeks ago for 24,377 OTD, you cant touch a limited for that! Heated seats, hand warmers, 7 speed auto, adjustable rear suspension on the fly, adjustable windshield, tubeless front suspension, apple carplay infotainment, 98 H.P. 108# torque, etc. This thing is so smooth and quiet, its like riding on a cloud and very fast.
A Harley with something similar, if possible, would be 35/40K. Just saying this is a true touring bike so if you can pull yourself away from the "Zombiefied Harley" you may be surprised. I've owned 3 Harley's and had enough.
So why are you still here?

The following users liked this post:
talkingrock (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 06:43 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Iron Man
So why are you still here?
Waiting for someone like you to buy my 2014.
Dont bash me just because I see bikes in a different way. The man ask for options and I gave him one.
Go test ride one, any brand and you may be surprised there are better bikes than Harley Davidson.

Last edited by Just Me; 12-03-2018 at 06:50 AM.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:50 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 512 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Waiting for someone like you to buy my 2014.
Dont bash me just because I see bikes in a different way. The man ask for options and I gave him one.
Go test ride one, any brand and you may be surprised there are better bikes than Harley Davidson.
Yup, I agree...but the definition of 'better' is in the potential owner's mind. There is always something 'better' depending on who you talk to.

Some people believe 'lighter' is better but end up getting pushed around on the road by wind and vehicle wakes. Some people believe 'faster' acceleration or 'higher' top speed is better. Some think being able to traverse a walking swing bridge in the jungles of Nicaragua is better.

If you constantly spend your time hunting for what is 'better' then anything you have is never good enough. Think about it. One day you will be sitting at a light thinking you are in the catbird seat after making some arduous decision on what the 'best bike' is and another rider will pull up, look over at you and say...."I test rode one of those...nice bike, but I bought this one because it is better." That then sends you into a tail spin because your analysis must somehow be flawed.

Not a good way to live.

The following 2 users liked this post by dceggert:
Just Me (12-03-2018), talkingrock (12-04-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:47 AM
basicbbeancounter
Novice
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ride ‘em all!

I spent weeks riding every touring bike.....BMW, Goldwing, Yamaha and Kawasaki and Indian. Nobody is making a bad touring bike. I loved each and every bike. They all have their pluses and minuses. Opinions are a dime a dozen. My advice? Ride every one and revel in the pure joy of riding. Ride several on the same day as it will give you the best perspective. I had soooooooo much fun riding all the bikes!!

Then, buy the bike that “moves” you. For me, it was the 2018 Ultra Limited Anniversary Edition. Wow. Did the removable tour pack, stage 1, and moved the antenna into the fairing. The road and street glide had too little give on the shocks. For the new Goldwing, I just did not like how I sat on the bike....it is an incredible bike but not for me. My best buddy traded in his Harley for the Indian Roadmaster and after 35 years of riding nothing but Harleys he is in love with his Indian.

Also, the lights on the Ultra Limited are the best of all the bikes. You can have your dealer program the spots to stay on with the high beams and it is like riding in the sunshine. Never seen anything like it.

bottom line...since time is on your side....why not have an absolute BALL and ride ALL the bikes? You won’t regret it. Your soul and your body will tell you which one has YOUR name on it.

good luck!

Old 12-03-2018, 09:04 AM
Schex
Supporter
Received 7,045 Likes on 1,857 Posts

I've put a fair amount of touring miles on both style fairing bikes, I like both, but the RG is hands down a better tourer in my opinion.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:04 PM
assiniboine
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,158 Likes on 3,127 Posts

Touring c/w female? Storage! The Kingpac is a blessing.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a new touring bike