Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy a new touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 08:42 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 664 Likes on 408 Posts

At 5'9" with a 30" inseam I couldn't be happier with my '15 Ultra Limited Low. The slightly pulled back bars and lower height give me a greater feel of stability and handling. As others mentioned it doesn't come standard with heated grips but I easily added them before delivery. As far as rubbing the floorboards goes....lets face it its a "tourer" not a sport bike so while I can lean it a lot I usually don't lean enough to scrape. You'd be surprised that the boards don't scrape that often but if they do just deal with it....no big deal. The only three mods I've done is to put larger passenger boards (eBay) on so my wife is more comfortable and I changed the low seat out for a standard HD seat (eBay) that I sent to Mean City to customize. The low seat cramped me a bit. The heated grips (HD) and a 12" HD windshield (eBay).
Btw... when I bought mine in 2015, HD's MSRP for the low was about $1,000 more than the standard. I think they eliminated that up charge and now both models are basically the same MSRP.

Last edited by Rob175; 11-30-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:26 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,117 Likes on 2,800 Posts

Bike choice is personal, but I wouldn't sleep on it until Spring. Those salesman that are drooling to sell you a bike today, might be sticking pretty close to MSRP in the Spring. I'd at least price shop a few dealers to see where they're at.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:55 AM
A.M.E.Colo
Stage III
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Bike choice is personal, but I wouldn't sleep on it until Spring. Those salesman that are drooling to sell you a bike today, might be sticking pretty close to MSRP in the Spring. I'd at least price shop a few dealers to see where they're at.
Very good advice right here.I had to drive 80 miles from home to get a below msrp price on a 2019 flhx. Of course I had to pay for all the " dealer fees".

Old 11-30-2018, 03:14 PM
ClassicBill
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ultra limited and the road glide ultra are both fantastic touring bikes. Spend a little time up front and rent each of the bikes that you are interested in for a weekend. you can put some real miles on them then and figure out what you like the most. I know that this is not cheap, but neither is a new bike. Be sure to take your wife with you on some long rides with each to let her figure out what she likes best about each bike also.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Haarley
I wouldn't buy a new touring bike without a demo ride on the new Goldwing.

It's amazing, and the DCT makes handling a big bike much easier.
I bought a 2018 DCT tour 3 weeks ago for 24,377 OTD, you cant touch a limited for that! Heated seats, hand warmers, 7 speed auto, adjustable rear suspension on the fly, adjustable windshield, tubeless front suspension, apple carplay infotainment, 98 H.P. 108# torque, etc. This thing is so smooth and quiet, its like riding on a cloud and very fast.
A Harley with something similar, if possible, would be 35/40K. Just saying this is a true touring bike so if you can pull yourself away from the "Zombiefied Harley" you may be surprised. I've owned 3 Harley's and had enough.

The following users liked this post:
joe buck (12-01-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:01 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Good advice guys. I'll take a peek at the Goldwings as mentioned but my heart is geared towards Harley.

Good advice on "when" to try to deal on a new bike. I'll go back in a couple weeks and see how it goes. My problem in comparing dealers is all of them are long distance for me. The one that I was at is 70 miles from me and they are the closest one. I guess I could make a few phone calls to compare prices.

I've been thinking about the low and I'm thinking that I might not like the reduced ground clearance. I have a pain loading my RK in my trailer on level ground now. If I'm not careful, I'll scrape the bottom of the bike at the top of the trailer ramp. But, I guess I could improvise for that with some trailer modifications.

Old 11-30-2018, 06:29 PM
95th 1200
Road Master
Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

Now is the time to get a deal on a remaining 2018 or even a 2017 now that the 2019s are out. I will say this: The new touch screen infotainment system on the 2019s is freakin awesome, and boots up much faster than the old system. The hammock seat is the most comfortable one out there, bar none. A rider back rest may help alleviate back discomfort during long rides, along with different handlebars. Most people balk at putting on different bars, but even HD offers them. They can help with posture and improve comfort in a huge way. All things to consider.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:07 PM
Arcadia
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Dealers are hungry right now. I just got a 19 RK for $2500 less than I was quoted for an 18 this last March. Plus 3.99%. Did most of the negotiation via email. You should be able to do the same on a UL or a RGU.
Good luck.

Old 11-30-2018, 08:39 PM
mastergunnera8
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
I bought a 2018 DCT tour 3 weeks ago for 24,377 OTD, you cant touch a limited for that! Heated seats, hand warmers, 7 speed auto, adjustable rear suspension on the fly, adjustable windshield, tubeless front suspension, apple carplay infotainment, 98 H.P. 108# torque, etc. This thing is so smooth and quiet, its like riding on a cloud and very fast.
A Harley with something similar, if possible, would be 35/40K. Just saying this is a true touring bike so if you can pull yourself away from the "Zombiefied Harley" you may be surprised. I've owned 3 Harley's and had enough.
I test rose the new Yamaha and Gold Wing, I'm a bigger guy, but was shocked the how much the GW was like a sport bike, NOT a touring bike..the suspension, engine were amazing...but ankles under butt peg position, shifter below the peg, doesn't seem like much around or in front of you (mass)..I really wanted to love it...the last version, maybe, new one, wont work for me...hopped back on my 2016 RG ultra and comforted my way home...dont overlook that 16!!! could be a killer deal!!!...good luck!! Ride them all!!!

Old 11-30-2018, 09:16 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 437 Likes on 292 Posts

I am in the same way I have a 2016 SGS and the wife wanted a 2017 tri-Glide it is a good ride

Quick Reply: Going to buy a new touring bike