Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to buy a new touring bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 08:33 AM
Oko
Club Member
Received 4,337 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by assiniboine
What a fk'n delightful position to find yourself in, eh? lol

My advice would be to definitely get ur partner involved to some degree in the final decision.

My money would be on the Ultra Limited.
Ditto. Get the Limited Low.

DownSouth "Actually, it's the wife who is twisting my arm to buy another bike."

Does she have a sister?

Last edited by Oko; 11-29-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:55 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 797 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by EdwardK
I did the same thing. Kept my Road King and got a Limited. My wife will not ride on the Road King any more so I made it a solo and use it to commute every day. The Limited is the play bike and what we tour on or ride on the weekends together. The only thing better than a Harley in your garage is two. I love walking into my garage and then deciding which one to ride. Also great when you want to work on or need to take one to the shop. You always have a spare bike.

A couple of suggestions. Let your wife pick it out with you having right if refusal if she picks some ugly color. I sometimes refer to the Limited as her bike even though she has no desire to ride a bike other than on the back seat. She smiles when I do that. Then ask her what she wants to do to make it hers. She wont mind you forking out more money on seat upgrades, comfort mods and any bling you might like. My other suggestions is to walk in on December 31st ready to buy that day and beat them up on the price. Last day of the year they will do everything they can to sell you the bike. Better chance to get a deal. Worst case, you can always walk away but If you wait until the spring when everyone is buying a bike, they wont be as willing to deal.
Same here, kept my 04 Road King when I bought ny 14 Limited. King is solo, and the Limited is the long range bike; however, no wife in my garage.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 AM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,205 Likes on 1,554 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
Ditto. Get the Limited Low.

DownSouth "Actually, it's the wife who is twisting my arm to buy another bike."

Does she have a sister?
I sat on a Limited Low in the show room and I really liked it.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:13 AM
luigit
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

FYI. this will be the last year they produce the limited low. @crump13 right?

Old 11-29-2018, 09:43 AM
rdm1465
Tourer

Received 1,023 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by luigit
FYI. this will be the last year they produce the limited low. @crump13 right?
Is it? That might be a bad decision on HD part. I am vertically challenged. So, when I went looking for a new ride, I was considering the Indian Road Master and Ultra Limited. Tried the Road Master, nice. Went to HD dealership looked around, I was shown the lows, because I was not totally comfortable on the standard height bikes. Great, test rode a '16 and '17. '16 model rattled my teeth, '17 was better, but, didn't like the color, and ended up with an '18 Ultra Limited Low.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:50 AM
crazytown
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 551 Likes on 321 Posts

I'll tell you what, I have a 03 RKC that I love, and plan on keeping forever.

I was never a fan of the shark-nose fairing, HOWEVER, I've ridden an RGU a few times now. That is a bike built for comfort and touring. It is just *so* *nice* out on the road. And I gotta tell you, having that nice dash layed out in front of you like that is not so bad.

Last edited by crazytown; 11-29-2018 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:37 PM
burgies08ultra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the limited low and add a hammock seat. u both will love the rides..

Old 11-29-2018, 12:50 PM
teal379
Tourer
Received 171 Likes on 92 Posts

Spring is the LAST time of year I'd buy.

Feb is when I would, then again, we have real winters here in Wisconsin.

Old 11-29-2018, 02:00 PM
BillMcUltralow
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

+1 on the Low.
I tried a dozen styles and models over 3 months before a very smart salesman figured out I needed something closer to the ground.
A '15 E Glide Ultra Low appeared and "that's all she wrote" as my dad used to say. I too am looking into the Hammock seat. I know it will probably raise me up some but I wont know until I find a dealer with a demo for me to try but, I can tell you that everything else about the Low is great!

Old 11-29-2018, 02:11 PM
caulk04
Road Master
Received 233 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by BillMcUltralow
+1 on the Low.
I tried a dozen styles and models over 3 months before a very smart salesman figured out I needed something closer to the ground.
A '15 E Glide Ultra Low appeared and "that's all she wrote" as my dad used to say. I too am looking into the Hammock seat. I know it will probably raise me up some but I wont know until I find a dealer with a demo for me to try but, I can tell you that everything else about the Low is great!
Friend of mine has a 16 Limited Low and hated the stock seat. Has a Hammock now and loves it, even with the increase in height. I also run a Hammock seat on my bike and find it quite comfortable, height not being a concern for me.

Quick Reply: Going to buy a new touring bike