Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering a 2009 Road King Without Having to Change Seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018 | 08:51 AM
Kingface
|
Road Master
Default Lowering a 2009 Road King Without Having to Change Seat

I Have a 2009 Road King FLHR. I'm 5' 8" so obviously not a giant. I have a stock seat from a 2014 King (the 2009 one was higher) that sits me low enough to the ground where I'm comfortable and can flat foot just fine....but it's not very comfortable for the long haul. I just bought a Corbin Dual Tour for the bike and absolutely LOVE the seat. It fits me PERFECT. The problem is it actually sits me up about 3/4" higher than the seat I was using and I have trouble flat footing. It's not bad at a stop, but backing into a spot is difficult as I don't have the leverage I need. I called Mean City Cycles to see if they could mod it but they stopped doing mods on Corbins.
My question is: I really do not want to search again for another seat as I really love that Corbin but I really need to get about an inch lower to the ground. What is the best way to do this? I know I can get lower rear shocks but will this mess with the drivability of the bike? Will I also have to lower the front shocks too? I tried the search function but most everything I found was much older threads and I didn't know if there were more current and up to date options.
Also.....I' not 100% against a different seat but I REALLY want it to sit just like the Corbin, just an inch or more lower.

Thanks!!

Old 11-08-2018 | 09:07 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Did you try talking to Corbin. They do custom work and if you go to the factory they will custom fit the seat to you. Something to think about, a simple phone call may solve all of your problems.

Old 11-08-2018 | 09:25 AM
Kingface
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Architect
Did you try talking to Corbin. They do custom work and if you go to the factory they will custom fit the seat to you. Something to think about, a simple phone call may solve all of your problems.
Never thought about that one, Thanks! I didn't buy the seat from them though, I bought it from a fellow forum member. I also live nowhere near Corbin seeing I'm in Maine.

Update: I called Corbin as suggested and they said they could do a 'nose job' on the nose of the seat to narrow it but he said it could change the way the seat sits. He said they can't 'lower it' per se as that will completely change the seat and I wouldn't be happy with the comfort. He said the Nose Job is the only option and doing that could possibly ruin the cover in which case they may have to replace that too....which would be another $200 on top of the $150 nose job.....ouch.

Last edited by Kingface; 11-08-2018 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-08-2018 | 11:37 AM
Cozz
Grand HDF Member

There are a few lowering kits out there to lower the rear at least an inch, AND maintain the STOCK shock angle. These are typically beefy heavier duty brackets than what you will see with some vendors and eBay/amazon. I bought a LA Choppers 1 inch kit. Very heavy duty. Didn’t need to lower the bike, just like the look. Three years ago, zero problems.

Last edited by Cozz; 11-08-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-08-2018 | 12:23 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Many people really just need the seat narrowed and not lowered.

Old 11-08-2018 | 06:19 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member

--12" rear shocks (as opposed to the 13" stock air shocks) ( I did this)
--bigger/thicker boots if possible. (I did this)
--you can shave the sides off the seat (where your inner thigh touches) to get your legs more vertical. (I did this myself--and also took some off the seat area....I get that you don't want to or won't to do the pan part your butt touches)

I am the same height (actually close to 1" shorter) as you and all 3 things have me me flat footed on my 04RKC

p.s.=-There are also some tires that might be MARGINALLY less vertical than whatever you have on there.

YMMV,

Old 11-08-2018 | 09:55 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member

I got a set of the 12 inch hand adjustable premium rear shocks. They lowered the rear to an acceptable level and the ride was on par with the stock length factory air shocks. They can be had pretty cheap and will get you where you want to be. Just another option. Just don't pay too much for them...

Old 11-09-2018 | 09:58 AM
Lakeguy
6th Gear

I recently purchased an 08 Road King from a guy that is about 5'8". He installed the shorter rear shocks on the bike and had his seat repadded. I'm 6'6" so I'm putting the original shocks back on. I am not that experienced a rider but the ride with the shorter shocks seems to be good although the bike is too low for me.
I don't know what they are worth but if you are interested we can talk.

Old 11-09-2018 | 11:43 AM
Kingface
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Lakeguy
I recently purchased an 08 Road King from a guy that is about 5'8". He installed the shorter rear shocks on the bike and had his seat repadded. I'm 6'6" so I'm putting the original shocks back on. I am not that experienced a rider but the ride with the shorter shocks seems to be good although the bike is too low for me.
I don't know what they are worth but if you are interested we can talk.
I may be interested. I can't PM you though as you're new to the site. I need an email or something.

Last edited by Kingface; 11-09-2018 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-09-2018 | 12:28 PM
04ctd
Banned

I have used the "lowering blocks" that move the rear eye of the shock back, lowers bike an inch, usually $100 new, and can find them used. I would definitely try some of those.

the problem is NOT what you can flat foot in your driveway, but having to park pointing downhill unexpectedly.

I went for a group ride, and ended up in some grass/gravel (used a parking pad under the kick stand) pointing downhill, and it took EVERYTHING I HAD to get that Pig back up in the road (I'm 6.1/250).

so I would set the bike low as possible to avoid future problems, and if you start riding hard enough to scrape stuff, raise it back up to be safe.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 2009 Road King Without Having to Change Seat