Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Profile wheel cracks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 09:35 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Profile wheel cracks???

Did a search and found nothing.

Has anyone experienced problems with profile wire wheels cracking???? I was on a ride this last week, and one of the riders on an Ultra Classic had a profile wheel that cracked and caused a flat.

I have the profile wheels on my bike and am considering changing them out.

Bill

Old 07-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Grover
Admin "Kicking The Crap Out Of Spammers"

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts
Default RE: Profile wheel cracks???

Bill

There was a thread last week about a member who had profile wheels and the spokes kept coming loose and wobbled out the rim. Had to replace the wheel. Members reported similar experiences on the heavy weight bikes with the profile wheels.

Also reported wobble and vibration caused by the spokes loosening. It seems the newer spokes are softer and stretch easier than the old ones. Profile wheels are showing problems.

Richard

Old 07-02-2007, 10:00 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have heard of the same instances with cracking too locally. They are great lookers but I wouldn't trust them no way. As with anything new, it takes a while to get the bugs out.

Old 07-02-2007, 10:25 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got the Profile wheels on my RK, 38,000 miles, so far so good. I check them pretty often.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:00 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Someday people will realize spokes are for bicycles and not heavy touring bikes, many horror stories about flats, broken or cracked rims. It blows my mind people pay extra for a inferior product like the spoke wheel option, just the fact that a flat puts you down and out till a wrecker hauls it to a dealer to fix rather than a 5 minute plug fix and back riding with the alloy wheels is reason enough not to have them. IMO anyway

Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 320 Likes on 196 Posts

Bill - If you decide to take the profile ones off, what are you going to replace them with? I have a set of laced drop center wheels that came off an '07 Road King Classic. They are complete with all bearings and even have the tires on them. 500 miles when they were taken off. If you're interested I will make you a good deal on them.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:26 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I am thinking of going with the Street Glide wheels. If I decide to make a change I will go with cast rather than laced.

Bill

Old 07-02-2007, 02:40 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Someday people will realize spokes are for bicycles and not heavy touring bikes, many horror stories about flats, broken or cracked rims. It blows my mind people pay extra for a inferior product like the spoke wheel option, just the fact that a flat puts you down and out till a wrecker hauls it to a dealer to fix rather than a 5 minute plug fix and back riding with the alloy wheels is reason enough not to have them. IMO anyway
I feel [sm=exactly.gif]the same way as you do. I personally don't think they look that great either. JMHO

Old 07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had profile lacded wheels on my Roadie when I bought it. They sure looked nice. Scared me though when the spokes became loose. I did no searching, just replaced them. Got my current set up from shooter64 through HDF. I do not know if there are problems with these wheels but I know I had problems with them.

Old 07-02-2007, 05:02 PM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That makes me feel a little better about the money I spent onthe forged wheels. I actually swapped them out for abilty to do road side repairs if necessary.

Quick Reply: Profile wheel cracks???