Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Profile wheel cracks???

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Profile wheel cracks???

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Someday people will realize spokes are for bicycles and not heavy touring bikes, many horror stories about flats, broken or cracked rims. It blows my mind people pay extra for a inferior product like the spoke wheel option, just the fact that a flat puts you down and out till a wrecker hauls it to a dealer to fix rather than a 5 minute plug fix and back riding with the alloy wheels is reason enough not to have them. IMO anyway
Have you heard any problems Heritage Softail Classic owners are having with spoked wheels? I don't have the Profile spoked wheels on my RKC but so far I've had no problems with the standard spokes. You say the baggers are too heavy for spoked wheels? The RK weighs only 13 more lbs.in running order, according to specs, than the Heritage. I know a lot of people who ride a Heritage and have not heard any complaints. I may someday swap out the rear wheel for a solid one but will always keep the front one spoked. Nothing sharper IMO than a Harley with spoked wheels. At least in the front.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:03 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Someday people will realize spokes are for bicycles and not heavy touring bikes, many horror stories about flats, broken or cracked rims. It blows my mind people pay extra for a inferior product like the spoke wheel option, just the fact that a flat puts you down and out till a wrecker hauls it to a dealer to fix rather than a 5 minute plug fix and back riding with the alloy wheels is reason enough not to have them. IMO anyway
Gee....how did Harley's make it with spokes for the first..oh..70 YEARS or so?..jeesh...spokes been around forever...they used to put em on cars! for cryin out loud...

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
mtpoland
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[sm=thanx.gif]
ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

Someday people will realize spokes ... blah blah blah!!!
Gee....how did Harley's make it with spokes for the first..oh..70 YEARS or so?..jeesh...spokes been around forever...they used to put em on cars! for cryin out loud...

Old 07-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

ORIGINAL: mtpoland

[sm=thanx.gif]
ORIGINAL: jmacdonald5

Well for one, 70 years ago the bikes didn't weigh 700+ lbs, and they didn't have 70 - 80 ft lbs of tq out of the box. That said, I'm obviously a fan of spokes and will continue to take my chances with them. I accept the maintenance and risk.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

Well for one, 70 years ago the bikes didn't weigh 700+ lbs, and they didn't have 70 - 80 ft lbs of tq out of the box. That said, I'm obviously a fan of spokes and will continue to take my chances with them. I accept the maintenance and risk.
Motorcycles have changed, no doubt. I'd say the quality of the wheel has improved, also. I'm with you, I love 'em on my RK and accept the resposibility for the preventative maintenence. Now, if I can get my wife to agree to get the RG I've got my eye on, no way will it have laced wheels on it. To me, it's a choice of what I prefer when it comes to styling and I don't think I would like laced wheels on the RG.

There sure seems to be two very distinct and different schools of thought when it comes to laced wheels. And it's not love 'em or hate 'em, it seems to be more of a trust 'em, or not.

Old 07-03-2007, 01:57 PM
mtpoland
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Biggzed

True, but along with the increased weight of the bikes and the increased torque of the motors the design and structuralintegrity of the spoke wheel has been enhanced. People have had problems with spoke wheelsand people have had problems with cast wheels. Sh*t happens no matter what you buy. First and foremost is proper maintenance of any component followed by prayers for safe travel. Is it a spoke wheel that’s gonna take you out; a defective cast wheel or some a**hole that is on the cell phone when they are cutting into your lane?!

Old 07-03-2007, 03:45 PM
HogmanFLHX
Tourer

When I was in Reno last month there was a guy at the shop getting his rear wheel replaced on an ultra. It had cracked breaking the tire bead causing a flat. It was this same wheel.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:56 PM
southend
Intermediate

I've heard of quite a few people having trouble with these wheels. I wouldn't risk not changing them Bill??[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 07-03-2007, 04:07 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I am thinking of going with the Street Glide wheels. If I decide to make a change I will go with cast rather than laced.

Bill Bill I just put a set of FLHX wheels and tires on my Road King Classic and they look good to me.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
bonz50
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

I feel [sm=exactly.gif]the same way as you do. I personally don't think they look that great either. JMHO
and are an ever-loving PITA to keep clean...

Quick Reply: Profile wheel cracks???