Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

heat deflectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007 | 11:12 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Default RE: heat deflectors

ORIGINAL: deadeye

I got no response from posting this in the Softail section. I'm reposting it here hoping someone has an experienced opinion on heat deflectors.

I see a few companies making under-seat heat deflectors. I'm wondering how well they work. Are they worth the money? Some look better than others..

They all look easy to remove when Summer is over and you want to feel the heat again.
Okay -- this is so timely, it is like it was a set up.

I ordered my RJ's Originals about 2 weeks ago, and only yesterday got a chance to put them on the bike. Being a typical guy, I opened the package and discarded the instructions. Idiot me. After taking the seat off, trying to see how the shields fit on the bike, and being frustrated, I broke down and emailed RJ. I even sent him digital photos of my botched attempts at the installation, being sure that these things just wouldn't ft... 45 minutes later, he called me directly to walk me through the installation process! Yeah, I installed the shields, with him on the phone, and with the seat on the bike, in under 5 minutes!!!!!

So today I got home, jumped on the bike (97 degrees here in Houston!) and went for a ride. Wow! What a difference!!!! No more fried thighs (RJ -- you ought to use that as a tag line.... Doh! There it is!) These things work, look great, and the personal service cannot be beat!

Don't waste your money on the Kury's and the HD plastic shields. These things work -- and they look custom made -- just like a continuation of the seat. Way to go, RJ.

Old 08-10-2007 | 08:09 AM
gjbedna
6th Gear

Yes, instead of spending big bucks on "solving" the heat (non)issue, these are great because they direct the heat AWAY from your legs and allow the bike to do its thing. Great, they should be stock. Have the HD ones.

Old 08-10-2007 | 08:13 AM
tmoreau
Tourer

RJ's are aluminum, with a vinyl covering to look like your saddle.

Old 08-10-2007 | 02:25 PM
Freebiker
Intermediate

Hi,

Still waiting for my new ultra 08 , in a few weeks more , and just purchased my RJ's Originals , just for in case . I hope will work fine specially in traffic situation and and running slow speed .

Thanks for the info !!

Jordi

Old 08-10-2007 | 02:31 PM
tmoreau
Tourer

Smart dude. If I had known about the heat deflectors, I would have installed them in the bike shop parking lot the day I picked up the bike.

Old 08-10-2007 | 03:21 PM
waterdog
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zoood

Yeah I noticed that too. bout not many pictures of the heritage softails. I did a poll in the beginning to see who needed the deflectors the most. Touring models won. Heritage was up there too. But until the touring model owners started talking up my product. Then the Heritage owners started purchasing. I sell way more touring model deflectors than the softail ones. But thats changing now. Now the main reason I found that I lack on photos on the site is this,... I always ask that riders to send me photos with it installed on their scoots. But when the heat problem is no more. They forget the heat was an issue and they also forget to send me pictures. Now that digital cameras are more common with use and the rider taking the photos understands how to use his camera. the picture quality is getting much better. Tho,... some still send me pictures that are set at 5meg and when I open the picture file. It about blows me across my office.

Now about your other question. When I look at a heritage. It looks to me as if Harley put 2 bikes together. They come with just studs on the bags and the seat. Nothing studded up front. After awhile they started making studded options you can purchase to include the front of your scoot with the back. Thus making it look as one bike and not 2 put together. I choose the studded version deflectors for the Heritage. I even spaced the studs the same on my deflectors as the spacing on your bags and seat. Heritage studs are at 1" centers. where as some touring models that have studding,... are spaced 1.125 inches, ( 1 1/8) Its these little details that I personally do that ensures a uniform flowing look. That doesnt look like an after market add-on but looks to be factory. Also, my studs are chrome plated brass,... unlike HD's which are steel, plated with chrome. Theirs will rust from inside
as where mine wont. I like things that last and are maintenance free.
zoood/RJ
Ok RJ, I'll be ordering a studded set soon.

And I sure look forward to getting them on the bike with this 100+ degree heat we're having in TN.

Oh, and I'll be sure and send you some pics when done.

waterdog

Old 01-12-2008 | 07:15 PM
RkyMtns03
6th Gear

Regarding heat deflectors, any problems with the bike staying cool since the air exposure is a bit hampered?

Old 01-12-2008 | 08:27 PM
relli
Road Warrior

ive got the studded RJ's on mine. its my opinion that the dfeflectors act as an air scoop when moving and direct MORE air to therear cylinder

Old 01-12-2008 | 09:28 PM
alqaadir
Tourer

get the RJs. there no comparison

Old 01-13-2008 | 01:10 AM
Troy.R.H
Cruiser

I've had the same concerns asRkyMtn03, that the heat deflectors would restrict air flow and cause an increased heat build up at the rear cylinder.

Would be interested in everyones thoughts on this and to know if RJ has done any testing to determain if there is any increased heat build up.

Troy

Quick Reply: heat deflectors