Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Average Miles Per Year?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005 | 03:11 PM
steveokla
Tourer
Default RE: Average Miles Per Year?

I purchased mine in February of this year, ride to and from work every day, only have 5K on it Don't take a lot of long trips unfortunately.

Old 10-23-2005 | 04:48 PM
four5acp
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Red

Thinking about a Ultra, but the ones I see on the road aren't being ridden many miles. Why is that?
Everyone has different lifestyles and available time, myself I work 3 jobs to put my wife through school and am furthering my education as well. I'm grateful I have a HD at all. 3.5k since July and PROUD of it.

How many of you put 25-30,000 a year on your H-D's? Most of the people I see don't put 5,000 miles a year on them. [:@] How many of you do 800 mile days on a regular basis?
Is there now a mileage requirement in order to prove worthy of owning a HD? I take offense to this as everyones situation is different, yeah there are people that purchase HDs just to say they have them but does that really bother you? If so, quit worrying about what other people are doing and ride and enjoy it and the time you have to ride. I wish I had the time (and weather) to put 25-30,000 a year but I don't and I don't feel bad about not "measuring up" either.

If your question is to ask about the maintainence costs, then I hope you can find your answers here, as this is an outstanding information exchange, but if it is just to brag...

Sorry if I'm sounding like an A-hole it is not my intention and I appologize, I guess I'm just annoyed with this post a bit.

Old 10-23-2005 | 05:14 PM
Red
|
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Army

[quote]ORIGINAL: four5acp

Is there now a mileage requirement in order to prove worthy of owning a HD? I take offense to this as everyones situation is different, yeah there are people that purchase HDs just to say they have them but does that really bother you? If so, quit worrying about what other people are doing and ride and enjoy it and the time you have to ride.

If your question is to ask about the maintainence costs, then I hope you can find your answers here, as this is an outstanding information exchange, but if it is just to brag...
Sorry you can't ride more Dude. I moved south 24 years ago from the north so I could ride. I guess we have different priorities don't we? Even as a young buck living in Ohio I would do 20,000 a year! LMAO.... And no, it doesn't bother me what you do with your scoot or how you don't use it. I didn't buy it, you did!

P:S
I've owned Harleys since '69 when I bought my first Sportster. The last new Big Twin I bought was a '82 FXRS. It was a POS. Not capable of a reliable 10,000 miles a year. LOL... That's why I have questions. I'm looking for the opinion of people that ride like I do.

Old 10-23-2005 | 06:03 PM
Blue SOG
Road Warrior

I'm bragging! I spent 7 years with NO BIKE at all and didn't log a single mile... so yeah, I'm bragging! I'm making up for lost time. BUT, in no way do I think less of someone because they don't log as many miles as I do. There are differing reasons as to why someone can or can't log a lot of miles. In my case, I only work 15 days a month... That leaves 15 days to ride. Most of those days are during the week when everyone else is working so there's not much to do except to ride. Not to mention my commute is 80 miles when I do work. If you're taking offense to this post then that's uncalled for. No one is dissin you here. I'm just proud to be able to ride as much as I do.

Old 10-23-2005 | 10:37 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus
Veteran: Marine Corp

four5acp

I suffer from PMS - Parked Motorcycle Syndrome. My job as a fireman brings a certain amount of stress in my life. Riding helps relieve stress. I turn off the pager,cell phone and thoughts of work when I am riding.

I have ridden 8,400 stress relieving miles this year. I need more.

Not bragging on how much I rode. Just sharing how much I depen on my HD fix. Oh yeah and my HDF fix. I am not addicted like Springer is.

Old 10-23-2005 | 10:44 PM
nmfxstc
Road Master

As many as I possibly can!

Old 10-25-2005 | 08:48 PM
cowboy
Stage II

i got my first hog 2 years ago. never rode more than 2000 miles a year before that. Now i have 18,000 miles on my low rider in 2 seasons and my wife has 9500 miles on her first 2 wheeled vehicle. ( a 2004 1200 custom). we both love hds . my longest day was 750 miles on the way to sturgis this august. (i found riding zen on that ride). what an experience! ride as much as you can or want but keep the shiny side up!

Old 10-26-2005 | 02:06 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

I can see both sides of this mileage thing. I ride almost every day, but my work keeps me really busy too. Between the two bikes I have had this year, I’ve racked up about 7000 miles. 500 miles is about the most I’ve done in a day. I don’t measure my biker worthiness by my odometer reading, but I do harass a buddy of mine that has only put 1000 miles on his springer in 8 months. I love riding, but I don’t pride myself in premature depreciation either. My dad lives in southern NV, and has put 26,000 on his WG. Six oil changes, three back tires, two front tires, and some depreciation. All totaling to about $3000 to $4000. Pretty cheap therapy if you ask me.

Old 10-26-2005 | 03:49 PM
bonzo2
Tourer

Traded in my 03 fatboy with 28K on her and picked up my 06 Ultra a week ago Saturday and am dropping her off tonight with 1250 miles on her for her 1K check up.