Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coat Wheel Exchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 05:27 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,667 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Originally Posted by RCCola45
I been thinking about using ***** to exchange my knuckle wheels to chrome. I got the forks on exchange from him and they still look great after 5 years. Been on the fence on the wheels just because of the thought of keeping them clean. I feel they would be easier to clean then the stock knuckles.
Don't see many bikes anywhere with the Banana Boards. I have them on both current bikes and pretty much the best comfort mod I have ever made.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:54 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
Don't see many bikes anywhere with the Banana Boards. I have them on both current bikes and pretty much the best comfort mod I have ever made.
I have the Lindby bar on there and seems my feet end up there about 80 percent of the time before I got them banana boards. I tried mounting some pegs on the bar … that lasted for about a week. Got the CycleSmith banana boards and I can't say enough good things about them. You can move your feet back or forward. I find myself keeping my feet down more than using the Lindy bar.

Old 11-06-2018, 01:41 PM
RCCola45
Cruiser
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 23Seven

Black wheels would look great on your bike... Just my .02¢
Thanks, maybe next time you get your bike out in open and have a chance, take another picture of it kinda like your picture in your sig. Wider view to see both front and back. I am trying to keep an equal amount of chrome and black but I do want to do something different this winter.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:58 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Those wheels look better black than all chrome. Had the knuckles on my 09 and my 10. I went with new wheels entirely because I was sick of them and didn't like the all chrome version. The powder coat looks way better IMO.

Old 11-06-2018, 07:56 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
Those wheels look better black than all chrome. Had the knuckles on my 09 and my 10. I went with new wheels entirely because I was sick of them and didn't like the all chrome version. The powder coat looks way better IMO.
Got tired of trying to polish that aluminum! These should be way easier to clean up.

Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 AM
AliensilverFXDBI
Road Captain
Received 265 Likes on 122 Posts

That looks great! Now I wish I had done gloss black and both wheels on mine. Did ***** shiny charge the same for powdercoat as chrome?

Old 11-07-2018, 07:38 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by AliensilverFXDBI
That looks great! Now I wish I had done gloss black and both wheels on mine. Did ***** shiny charge the same for powdercoat as chrome?
Price seems to be the same for chrome or powder coat.

Old 11-08-2018, 11:34 AM
tundra
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 23Seven
I’m hoping I didn’t catch the black out bug? I got more performance mods to do before I “Paint it black”.

If chrome don’t get you home? What would one say about black?
I caught the bug, but I've been doing it piecemeal. I have a '12 Classic and I've had some chrome items blasted and coated (engine guard, luggage rack). Other items, I have bought (bullet signals, front bag guard). Other less visible items have been plasti-dipped, or painted with epoxy appliance paint (fairing skirt, horn cover) to save a little money. The epoxy appliance paint is the cat's ***. Just scuff up the chrome and apply 2-3 coats. Seems bullet-proof and has a satin or semi-gloss finish, depending on how you spray it. Just use it for smaller parts.

Thanks for this thread. I was planning to do this to my wheels this winter and your wheel picture confirms that I am making the right decision. My dealer powder coats their flat track bikes, and really don't advertise they do it, so I am working out something with them while the bike is stored.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:48 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

I was working on blacking mine out, but life got in the way.....

I have a black derby cover for a M8 (they have a skinnier primary and the cover is different, IIRC)
it's in Wrinkle Black, $25 shipped and it's yours.

have a buddy hold bike up straight, swap the covers out, and re-use the rubber gasket.
makes a big diff, since the derby cover is so big & shiny, really darkens up the bike.

Old 12-08-2018, 09:19 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member

Here she is after a bath with the Black Wheels.

Quick Reply: Powder Coat Wheel Exchange