Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO or just trick out the 18 Road Glide Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018 | 03:59 PM
wolverinehusky
|
Grand HDF Member
Default CVO or just trick out the 18 Road Glide Ultra?

So I'm a little over 6 months of Road Glide Ultra ownership and I'm having a complete blast. First few days of riding a 900+ pound bike and I was like, "WTF was I thinking?" Fast forward to today and I get downright grumpy when I miss a day of riding. My truck is now a garage queen and I'm riding to work everyday when weather permits and I basically look for excuses to ride. Just love it.

I remember when I was lurking on the boards I'd often think, "why are these guys trading in bikes less than 2 years old for new models?" Just didn't seem all that financially responsible or prudent. But low and behold….now I understand…..

So I've probably invested a $2K-#3K or so in the bike that I bought new. Stage 1, chromed out switches and reservoirs on handlebars (more expensive than I thought it would be), WHIM, Kahuna floorboards and brake pedal, etc. But now I'm researching the following upgrades and am going to talk to my dealer about giving me a good deal on a bulk order with some service:

- Matching color fairing
- chrome wheels (front and back)
- new handlebars
- Chrome bottom fork
- additional chrome accenting
- fog lights on front
- install of saddle back brake lights (already have the part and may as well have dealer put them on if I do a major rework of the bike).
- maybe upgrade suspension

The the question I ask myself is, "should I just trade in the 18 and get a 19 CVO?" The thinking is buying all these upgrades and shop time is expensive, and thus could just get a spanking new CVO (with beefier engine) that has all the trimmings and I'll probably be done with the upgrades (well…maybe lol).

I assume others went through the same dilemma so would like to hear opinions. I assume I'll take a bath on the 18 (in great condition and a few thousand miles on it).

Sorry for the 1st Word Problems question but honestly would just like to hear from folks who did the quick trade-in (or even those who thought about it and declined).

I'm willing to take a financial hit perhaps but gotta crunch some numbers...

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-23-2018 | 04:16 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

All the internet opinion is, - is just going to go along with what you said...........
If you have the cash to burn, do what you want and skip confession.

Old 10-23-2018 | 04:25 PM
Screamin beagle
Seasoned HDF Member

Yup, do it ...if you have the money then spend it. You only get one ride on this big *** rock so you might as well make it a good one.

Old 10-23-2018 | 04:26 PM
wide glider
Road Master

By your own admission you already have a "brand new" bike that you enjoy the **** out of and can't seem to ride enough. I say pass on the CVO and save your money for gas, hotels and tires.....ride the hell out of your Roadglide Ultra. Christmas is approaching and it's a perfect time to accessorize your ride. Give your loved ones a "wish list" including part numbers and let them pick out something from your list. When your wife/daughter/son gifts you something nice for your Glide you will look down at it while riding and it will add to your enjoyment on the day.The Roadglide will come to mean more to you than the CVO ever could as it has sentimental value....not monetary. Good luck whichever way this turns out for you!

Old 10-23-2018 | 04:36 PM
Scarydog
Tourer

Damned if you do damned if you don't. Gotta go with your gut here.

Old 10-23-2018 | 05:29 PM
slodsm
Road Master

For the money for the upgrade, personally I’d spend it at a custom shop and make my ride one of a kind. I’ve always preferred that style over just a more limited model. You can’t get anymore limited than one you did exactly as you wanted it.

But cvo’s Are nice as well, can’t really go wrong either way

Old 10-23-2018 | 05:36 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Your cash ,your ride. Long as you asking. Once you jack with a CVO the value goes down if it really retains much more anyway. Spend the cash on your bike you make it your own. In most cases the the money spent on it will not be returned at sale anyway. But the ride is yours and you have the joy of coming up with a plan then following it trough.

Old 10-23-2018 | 05:43 PM
wolverinehusky
|
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the feedback and I like the idea of making the bike “my own”.

Old 10-23-2018 | 05:59 PM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member

I think you’re better off doing the upgrades to your bike. You can’t buy a RG CVO Ultra so unless you buy a CVO Limited you will have to buy a trunk for the RG CVO. You also mention handlebars. The RG CVO has the same bars as the regular RG so you might want to change those as well. The RG CVO doesn’t come with Fog Lights so again that might be something you want to add like you are planning to do on your ‘18. We all know that the money we spend over the price of the bike in most cases is money wasted outside of our enjoyment. With winter around the corner I think you could work a deal with your dealer for 20% off parts and a discount on labor. Now if money is of no concern buy the CVO and then add all of the extras.
Good Luck....

Old 10-23-2018 | 08:12 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member

Just traded my 2017 SGS on a 2019 cvo street glide, it was tough to swallow but I am in love with this cvo. I spent a lot $ on my 2017 to make it mine but one look at that cvo and it was over for me, like another said....you only live once! Good luck with your decision

Quick Reply: CVO or just trick out the 18 Road Glide Ultra?