Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 07:56 PM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Race Tuner vs Power Commander

Just being inquisitive here: can someone please explain the difference between a Screamin Eagle race tuner (which I used for my 04 Road King) verses a Power Commander or any of these modern tuners you regularly hear about today.
Thanks in advance.
- Kopazzz

Old 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,216 Likes on 2,308 Posts

The biggest difference, at least since the crackdown by the Feds, is with EPA compliance.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:00 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Race tuner, tts, fp3, and power vision are all flash tuners. They save an image of your factory map and then write a new map in its place. Power commanders are piggy back tuners. They intercept the signal from the ecu, add or subtract values and send the corrected ones to the injectors.

Flash tuners are far superior to a piggy back. Once they write the new code it’s in the ecu and staying there. A power commmander can fail leaving you stuck on the side of the road with a bike that won’t run because it’s stupid lean where as a flash is now in your ecu and the whole ecu has to fail in order to lose the tune.

We were here using piggy backs on cars and bikes 20 years ago but flash tunes are night and day better and much more reliable.

The following 2 users liked this post by slodsm:
alarmdoug (10-21-2018), dingrr (10-26-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 04:00 AM
Kopazzz
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That’s great info, thanks you!

Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Kopazzz
Just being inquisitive here: can someone please explain the difference between a Screamin Eagle race tuner (which I used for my 04 Road King) verses a Power Commander or any of these modern tuners you regularly hear about today.
Thanks in advance.
- Kopazzz

I like the tuning while I ride the bike on the fp3. dyno tuners just put the bike in 3rd gear and then wot the throttle. how can that fine tune the way each individual rides? sure you might get a extra hp out of it on the top end but personally I ride for the enjoyment not the hp on the track or dyno number on a sheet of paper. last time I check we cant ride a paper sheet. just my .02 on it.

Batman

Old 10-21-2018, 08:40 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.
I like the tuning while I ride the bike on the fp3. dyno tuners just put the bike in 3rd gear and then wot the throttle. how can that fine tune the way each individual rides? sure you might get a extra hp out of it on the top end but personally I ride for the enjoyment not the hp on the track or dyno number on a sheet of paper. last time I check we cant ride a paper sheet. just my .02 on it.

Batman
You have not been to a dyno tuning shop that knows what they are doing. They tune the entire range not just a wide open runs. They also tune the cold start/hot start parameters. The auto tunes just modify the VE tables and nothing else. Timing adjustments are just as important. The dyno is a far Superior way to tune that motoring around on back roads with your phone app.

The following users liked this post:
Dozer40 (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:36 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

I have the Power Commander 5 with the autotuner Im running 510 cams and true duals with street cannons on a 2003 road king. IT's NOT A RACE BIKE, but I can get, on a good easy day 56 MPG (Canadian gal.), and still NOT have to drop it down a gear to pass a slow poke doing 45. And I can stand toe to toe with my buddies 103 streetglide with his stage 2. All this with a little 88. Just how much more power do you guys want out of a "touring bike" ?

PS. If the commander and turner ever fail, all you have to do it un plug it and plug the cable back in to where it was stock.

Randy

Last edited by cajun1957a; 10-21-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:23 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,441 Likes on 658 Posts

Power Vision from Fuel Moto...

PV is a great flash tuner and FM had the absolute best customer support. Jaime is there for me every time I need him weather advice or a new map.

Old 10-21-2018, 09:49 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by batman.

Batman
You witnessed a crappy tuner. Mine spent an entire day on mine touching every cell. I know 'cause I got to stand next to him the whole time...

Old 10-21-2018, 11:36 PM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by cajun1957a

PS. If the commander and turner ever fail, all you have to do it un plug it and plug the cable back in to where it was stock.

Randy
and if you have a built motor and injectors etc, it doesn’t matter you plug it back in to the ecu, it’s still not going to run. I say this because it’s happened to me and quiet a few other people as well. A failed PC will leave you on the side of the road. I’m not knocking them, for their time they were the best in the business, I went 8.90’s at 154 on a 65” gsxr with a little nitrous and suspension work using one, but there are simply better options now. It’s like arguing a carb is easier to deal with for a blow through turbo setup because you don’t understand haltech.

Quick Reply: Race Tuner vs Power Commander