Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY CB Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 12:32 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,044 Likes on 11,648 Posts
Default DIY CB Install

For those like me that have need for a CB, but HD figured we don’t need one...have you installed it yourself on a Rushmore and beyond Touring bike? I checked with my dealer, and they want about $1,100 parts and labor for the addition.

From the information if have, for my ‘17 Ultra Limited, I’d need the following:
CB Module 76000486A $334. ( $273 at Surdyke)
Right Handlebar Cluster $171 ($139 at Surdyke)
Antenna Kit $100 ($82 at Surdyke)

Then you need the dealer to flash the radio.

Total parts cost $605 MSRP ($494 at Surdyke)
Plus cost of flash.

so, for you mechanical capable DIYers, has anyone done the install?
- where there any surprises?
- did you have to remove the tank to run the CB cable?
- did you have to have an SWR adjustment?

Was it worth DIY to save $400 in dealer labor?

Old 10-10-2018, 12:54 PM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

On my '18 FLHTK, I just plugged in the module, attached the antenna lead, screwed on the antenna mast, and it worked. I had the lighted control switch kit added by dealer at delivery, so I can't comment on the button. I did NOT have to have the radio flashed. It recognized it on its own.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

I did mine myself, no dealer flash required. The coax is already there, probably coiled up under the seat, tucked down behind the battery. Look for it coming out of the wire trough from under the tank, to wherever they coiled it up and tucked it in some place. There will be two that look similar, the other is your FM antenna wire. The other end will be in the fairing someplace. I switched out both switch-packs to the lit ones, but not necessary.
I initially used a good brand hidden antenna in my fairing... it sucked, yelling would be more effective than the transmit/receive range was. So I added the stud to the tour-pack and bought a standard factory antenna, its range is about 1 1/2 miles, which works for me.
I also added the "relocate kit" for the antenna that puts an antenna mount at the base of the slots between the rear fender and saddlebags. That way when the tour-pack is off (95% of the time) I can screw the antenna on there instead, I just have to switch wires under the seat... which I would be doing while disconnecting the tour-packs wires as I take it off.

Now mine is a '16 RGU, but I think all you need is:
1) The "CB Module"... or as I think HD calls it, the bike to bike communication unit. One end of the coax should already be under your fairing (fittings already installed). (if you got a service manual, it may tell you where, I'll check if i get time)
2) The "mounting stud". It is for the antenna to mount to on the back of the tour-pack, because the rest of tour-pack stuff is already there. Under the little cap on the outside back of the tour-pack is where the mounting stud goes, for the antenna to screw on. The coax wire is in the tour-pack already, you just might have to unbolt the pan (ground plane) in the bottom of the tour-pack, to find the short run of coax tucked up under there. One end is already wired so all you have to add is the little mounting stud and screw on the antenna. The other end will just need to be fed out through grommet, were all the other wires run out of the tour pack. It will plug into the coax thats already tucked under you seat some place.
3) An "Antenna"... Your choice on that, I just use a factory length standard HD antenna.
4) The "Right Switch Pack"... so you have the "push to talk" button.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:42 PM
biglew55
Road Captain
Veteran: Air Force
Received 454 Likes on 241 Posts

I forgot about the stud. I think it was metric, too. Just something to keep in mind. Less than $2 at the hardware store.

On my Limited, I didn't have to mess with the antenna coax at all. the radio end was tied up near the radio inside the fairing, and the other end was routed and wired to the antenna base in the tour-pak.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:54 PM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,033 Likes on 706 Posts

Its been a while, and I've slept a few times since I did this, but I think:
The stud was just $2.00 at the local dealer.
Stock antenna was like $30.00, I think??? at the same dealer.
I'd already changed out switch packs (due to my stupidity, I broke the left one) so $225.00 for a lit set (on-line)
Then the CB module was like $299.00 I think (on-line).
So, say $335.00 plus the cost of a switch pack, roughly.
It was a simple day project, for a day when it was raining.
Mine did not require to be "flashed".
I did not do the SRW testing and adjusting (I'm probably going to hell for this, I know)

Keep your expectations in check, because its not the kinda of thing where you're gonna be talking to people over in the next county. Mine works great for at least a mile or so, depending on terrain... and thats great for my needs.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 10-10-2018 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 03:37 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,044 Likes on 11,648 Posts

Thanks for the input!

Has anyone noticed a difference in performance between the standard length antenna and the shorty.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:03 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

I have the shorty antennas and think they actually work better but that's just me, they damn sure look better.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:22 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,171 Likes on 3,678 Posts

Buddy of mine DIY’d it and works perfectly and no dealer flash required...I haven’t noticed any difference in performance after installing short antenna and they look way better.

Last edited by Notgrownup; 10-11-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:47 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,455 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
For those like me that have need for a CB, but HD figured we don’t need one...have you installed it yourself on a Rushmore and beyond Touring bike? I checked with my dealer, and they want about $1,100 parts and labor for the addition.

From the information if have, for my ‘17 Ultra Limited, I’d need the following:
CB Module 76000486A $334. ( $273 at Surdyke)
Right Handlebar Cluster $171 ($139 at Surdyke)
Antenna Kit $100 ($82 at Surdyke)

Then you need the dealer to flash the radio.

Total parts cost $605 MSRP ($494 at Surdyke)
Plus cost of flash.

so, for you mechanical capable DIYers, has anyone done the install?
- where there any surprises?
- did you have to remove the tank to run the CB cable?
- did you have to have an SWR adjustment?

Was it worth DIY to save $400 in dealer labor?
My dealer did my CB install and I don't think they charged me over an hour pf labor. All I remember was that is was well under $1000 for the whole thing. Oh, on a 2015 Ultra CLASSIC.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:34 AM
lorddj
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2017 CVO Street Glide and I installed the CB module. I didn't have to add the cluster as the bike had the handlebar control. I use a hidden antenna in the fairing so no need to run a cable to the back. Install was pretty easy and everything works. I probably would not have installed it if my only choice was to use the dealer. They simply charge way too much. They did have to flash it though and my dealer flashes for free.

Quick Reply: DIY CB Install