Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black vs Chrome Bars RGU - Pics?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 AM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Black vs Chrome Bars RGU - Pics?

Definitely a sickness, but I've already started buying things that I know I'll want to change immediately when I have the bike actually IN my garage (this weekend).

Most are easy decisions but a bigger decision is whether or not to go black vs chrome with the new bars. It's a mostly stock 2016 black RGU. I do not like "murdered-out" bikes. I am going for a combination of chrome and black (mostly black). I ran 14" Carlini apes on my Road King but am going with 12" Factory 47 bars in black for the RGU.

I've been flip-flopping on whether or not to go black or chrome with the bars on this black bike...which in-turn will affect my decisions around levers and switch housings at some point. I usually think in terms of the bars being the same 'color' as the forks but with the big shark nose, just not sure. I've got the black bars on the way but would like to see some good pics if any of you have some that may help me see the diffs.

This is my new ride...black bars or chrome (those are stockers).

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:26 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,032 Likes on 706 Posts

Nice bike!

Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ssitruc
Nice bike!
Ha. Thanks man. I can see you stuck with chrome bars. Looks good.

Pretty sure that either way will look great. I'm just going to hold 'em up on the bike when I get them and see what I think..

Old 10-10-2018, 10:21 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

I have black but my bike is red. You are the only one that has to be happy but since your bike is black I would have gone with chrome. JMO

The following users liked this post:
sgnden (10-10-2018)
Old 10-10-2018, 10:42 AM
sgnden
Road Master

Yeah, I am torn. If I went chrome, I'd end-up with a chrome front-end...with black, I'd do a black front end. I think I'll be going back to chrome as it's gloss black bike and doing all gloss black front-end gets to be too much for me. Denim, another story, but that's not the cas with this one.

I'll know when I see the bars...

Old 10-10-2018, 12:33 PM
memphisharley
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 466 Likes on 356 Posts

Imo...if you are not changing the forks to black go with the chrome bars.
enjoy!

Old 10-10-2018, 01:07 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by memphisharley
Imo...if you are not changing the forks to black go with the chrome bars.
enjoy!
Yeah, I just called them and changed to chrome vs black. Like you say, the bars should really follow the color of the forks. Thanks.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:21 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,429 Likes on 2,769 Posts

I was torn on the same thing a bunch of years ago on my Wide Glide. To solve my problem, I wrapped on side in black electrical tape and looked at it for about a day. When I sure I wanted black, off to the powder coater she went. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:07 PM
Rude dog
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I think the black Vs chrome parts mix ratio dffers with each person’s viewpoint on the mix. I also have chrome bars and am considering changing them to black. I've changed a lot of parts over from chrome to black. My mix ratio will probably end up @ 85% black Vs 15% chrome on my standard chromed Road Glide Special when I’m done. For me I was ruined when I saw the blacked out 2018's. So, I 1st changed the levers and mirrors to black which took away a bit away of that all shiny handle bar area look. I’ve since then have changed: pipes & heat shields, running boards, crash, bar, center tank console, horn cover, air cleaner, primary cover/derby cover, shifters, lid lifters, rear tail light assy, tour pack hinges/latch, luggage rack & docking station hardware. I’ve also got the lower legs (forks) & cans in black, & plan to change them out in the near future. So I'm basically down to just needing front blinkers, foot brake arm/lever & the lower faring supports. I plan on leaving all the engine covers, pushrod covers & rear fender support brackets chrome. I kept allmy pulled off chrome parts so if I want, I can switch back.

Old 10-10-2018, 03:21 PM
sgnden
Road Master

Originally Posted by Rude dog
I think the black Vs chrome parts mix ratio dffers with each person’s viewpoint on the mix. I also have chrome bars and am considering changing them to black. I've changed a lot of parts over from chrome to black. My mix ratio will probably end up @ 85% black Vs 15% chrome on my standard chromed Road Glide Special when I’m done. For me I was ruined when I saw the blacked out 2018's. So, I 1st changed the levers and mirrors to black which took away a bit away of that all shiny handle bar area look. I’ve since then have changed: pipes & heat shields, running boards, crash, bar, center tank console, horn cover, air cleaner, primary cover/derby cover, shifters, lid lifters, rear tail light assy, tour pack hinges/latch, luggage rack & docking station hardware. I’ve also got the lower legs (forks) & cans in black, & plan to change them out in the near future. So I'm basically down to just needing front blinkers, foot brake arm/lever & the lower faring supports. I plan on leaving all the engine covers, pushrod covers & rear fender support brackets chrome. I kept allmy pulled off chrome parts so if I want, I can switch back.
Nice. Sounds expensive. I know exactly what you mean re the new Specials. I'd be on one of those if I hadn't had a last minute case of "the responsibles" and scooped-up the 2016 soon to be in the garage.

Quick Reply: Black vs Chrome Bars RGU - Pics?