Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting to LED, 2002 FLHT

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 09:44 PM
BobFLHT2002
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Converting to LED, 2002 FLHT

I made a post a while back about converting all the brake lights and tour pak side marker lights to LEDs on my 2002 FLHT. https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...sion-34-a.html
I've since converted (almost) all the rest of the lights to led. Here's my thoughts for anyone who might be interested in doing the same.
  • Custom Dynamics fender tip lights. They put 40 LED lights in each fender tip. I am very happy with this upgrade and highly recommend it.
  • Custom Dynamics flat style LED inserts for the turn signals, which required the smart signal stabilizer. If you are going to go with these, go ahead and get their smooth flat lenses. They really do work better than the lenses designed for incandescent bulbs. Overall, I'm not sure this was worth the money. If I had to do it over again I might just get LED 1157/1156 bulbs like I did for the tail lights. I'd still need the signal stabilizer, but that would have saved some money and likely would have been just as bright.
  • Fuel/Temp/Oil Pressure/Volt gauges. https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...t-car/206/923/ I didn't want to change the color of the gauges, so I went with amber. They match really nice and are almost too bright. I recommend them.
  • JW Speaker adaptive headlight. I was able to find an open box first generation adaptive headlight on ebay for more than 50% off. Someone bought it, installed it, didn't like it, and returned it. I could never pay full price for this headlight, but I'd want to. It is amazing.
  • Passing lamps. Because I blew my budget on the headlight, I went with Chinese made led passing lamps from ebay. They seem OK, the add did say they came as a pair... they didn't. At only $26, I guess I can't expect too much or complain too much. Now I have to wait for the other passing lamp to show up and I'll be finished. I did have to change the wire connectors to get it to work, but that wasn't a big deal.
The gauge lights are the only ones I paid full price for. Everything else I was watching on ebay or amazon until I found a good deal or sales.

Old 10-10-2018, 05:10 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

I have to say I'm still very suspicious of LED lights! Our latest car has them throughout, including remarkable headlights, but they are designed expressly for it and nothing will transfer to an older vehicle. Most of the aftermarket stuff I've investigated so far, for our other vehicles, leaves a lot to be desired and is not worth the expense. I'm keen to use them, but the quality is not there yet, with few exceptions.

To date the LED lights I am happy with, indeed very pleased, are my Trucklite front lights on the Glide and aftermarket rear light assembly (don't recall the brand), the LED spots in our kitchen (which are brilliant, in every way!) and the replacement sidelight bulbs on our VW van! I also have early LED indicator lights on my Glide, but they look dim and way out of date now, so are due for replacement when I get around to it.

There is much I'd like to replace with LEDs on our bikes. I have H3 bulbs in my Buell headlights and Glide's oval foglights, but there isn't an LED replacement that will fit inside any of them as they are way bigger, so it's still a mixed bag IMHO. The sidelight bulbs in our van are about twice as long as the ones they replace, but there is stacks of space for them inside the light unit. None of our bikes have much spare space in them!

Well that's my thoughts for the day, must get a coffee......

Old 10-10-2018, 08:26 PM
Peanuthead
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I too have been converting to LEDs. I'm running a Phase 7 and knock off passing lights. I've had the phase 7 for 5 years and installed on 2 bikes. I also have a Billet Boyz LED brake light. Its an LED board I bought off eBay a while ago. Super bright too! I haven't changed over any other lights to LEDs just yet. I honestly didn't think about changing the dash lights until now.

Old 10-20-2018, 07:13 AM
BobFLHT2002
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Peanuthead
I too have been converting to LEDs. I'm running a Phase 7 and knock off passing lights. I've had the phase 7 for 5 years and installed on 2 bikes. I also have a Billet Boyz LED brake light. Its an LED board I bought off eBay a while ago. Super bright too! I haven't changed over any other lights to LEDs just yet. I honestly didn't think about changing the dash lights until now.
I noticed this week that the LEDs in the dash don't cause my gauges to fog up when it's cold. It's been in the 30s-40s this week when I leave for work. The cheap passing lights, on the other hand, seemed to get condensation or something inside them already...

Old 10-20-2018, 07:23 AM
Peanuthead
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

The only place I get condensation is actually the idiot lights (turn, oil, neutral, highbeam).

Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,668 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Brightest lights I can find, front and rear are money well spent. And I have spent a metric chit ton. Currently running CD on new bike and Truck Lite on old bike with BAL.