Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your opinion on vibration...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:53 PM
FL2007
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Need your opinion on vibration...

Thanks for the responses. The service Mgr. suggested a taller shield and that it may be the wind getting forced up into my eyes/helmet. I feel like it defeats the purpose to install a taller shield.This is my first batwing. I did have a '02 RKC that I never ran the shield on. Bike rode like glass. This is my 5th harley, the first with this problem.I would rather go back to a RKC or even a softtail if I have no vibration/shake issues (I'll miss the built-in radio). They don't plan on doing anything else mechanical to it. I sdon't think they're going to check anything else until I spend money on a taller shield. Maybe if I cut this one even shorter?

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 PM
fatboyemt
Advanced

Ask your dealer to install the fairing wind deflectors and take it for a ride. I had this problem big time on my 2006 Fatboy which the deflectors solved. I experianced it to some degree on my 2007 Electra Glide Classic and have ordered the Freedom Wings which are due in this week.

You should be looking about 2" over the windshield. If this is the case give or take a little it's not the shield.

Old 07-02-2007, 04:54 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

ORIGINAL: FL2007

Thanks for the responses. The service Mgr. suggested a taller shield and that it may be the wind getting forced up into my eyes/helmet. I feel like it defeats the purpose to install a taller shield.This is my first batwing. I did have a '02 RKC that I never ran the shield on. Bike rode like glass. This is my 5th harley, the first with this problem.I would rather go back to a RKC or even a softtail if I have no vibration/shake issues (I'll miss the built-in radio). They don't plan on doing anything else mechanical to it. I sdon't think they're going to check anything else until I spend money on a taller shield. Maybe if I cut this one even shorter?
If what your experiencing is turbulence and buffetting vs abnormal vibration, your experience isnot unlike mine, coming from a Fatboy to a Street Glide. I rode the Fatboy for 25K miles with the full size windshield and no windshield just about the equal amount of time. For whatever reason, I never seemed to have much thought as it relates to turbulence, buffetting or any other kind of wind issues. If it was windy, it was windy and that was all. There was more wind. I had never experienced the kind of buffetting that I got from riding a fairing equiped bike. I didn't spend much time at all with the 4" windshield after riding the bike home at 75. I put a 9" one on, but also hated the idea of putting a tall windshield on the bike I had fallen in love with due to it's look. I've since settled on a 7" shield that really works well, or for long distance riding I've gone with either the 9" Cee Bailey or the 13" Cee Bailey SSC. I've added the wind baffle between the forks, Freedom wings on the underside of the Batwing and lower fairings, ala the Ultra Classic. With that I have a pretty damn quiet and smooth bike.Having said that, there is something to be said for NOT having the broad fairing in front of you. Yes it blocks wind from slamming into your chest, and in the winter it is certainly warmer and more comfortable, but it also creates all kinds of places for wind to slip in and around, for a sometimes, if not often, choppier ride than a windshieldless, or full size shield Road King, Fatboy, Heritage Classic...pick your poison. With all of the things I've done to create a smooth riding environment, the lower fairings have been the single most effective thing, plus I think they look great on Street Glides. That is where the wind was really coming in and creating most of the havoc. Now it doesn't matter whether my feet are on the boards or the pegs, the wind there is blocked. I have vented lowers so I can let the air flow through if I choose, but it's amazing what even that does to the smooth ride factor. I have been surprised by the number of folks who have discussed and confronted the wind/turbulence/vibration issue on fairing mounted bikes. In fact, the topic is not discussed often regarding Road Kings or Softtails, or bikes without fairings. My point is that there are positives to fairing mounted bikes. There is serious wind blockage, but sometimes at the cost of turbulence and buffetting. Doing the things I did, or buying an Ultra can really change that, but even then I have to say I've ridden Road Kings with full shields and my old Fatboy with a full shield on a VERY windy days, and it's a different experience. In some ways it's smoother. I've got mine where I want it now, but I'll admit to experimenting with more windshields than I care to admit. That's something I never did with the prior bike. I really love the fairing and all that comes with it. It many ways it would be hard to go back to a bike without one, but more than occasionally I do think about getting back into one without a fairing, adding a tach, and being good to go. I really don

Old 07-02-2007, 05:18 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I jsut purchased a 07SG night before last. I brought it home in a pouring t-storm so my only focus was getting home in one piece. Yesterday I put a 100 miles on it. It shakes like crazy at idle, which I expected. What I didn't expect is the eyeball shaking experience I'm getting at 40mph and over! I can;t read a single street at distance. This is my 5th HD and I have never experienced this before. I need to know if this is to be expected because if it is, my three day recision period on returning the bike ends tomorrow.

Please provide feedback.

Thanks,

Dave (FL07)
I had the same problem. [:@]

Changed mySpark Plugs to Screamin Eagle tripple Platunum -Yes that simple.

I used "Harley" plugs just in case a warranty issue came up

Old 07-02-2007, 05:21 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: trackadaptor

I jsut purchased a 07SG night before last. I brought it home in a pouring t-storm so my only focus was getting home in one piece. Yesterday I put a 100 miles on it. It shakes like crazy at idle, which I expected. What I didn't expect is the eyeball shaking experience I'm getting at 40mph and over! I can;t read a single street at distance. This is my 5th HD and I have never experienced this before. I need to know if this is to be expected because if it is, my three day recision period on returning the bike ends tomorrow.

Please provide feedback.

Thanks,

Dave (FL07)
I had the same problem. [:@]

Changed mySpark Plugs to Screamin Eagle tripple Platunum -Yes that simple.

I used "Harley" plugs just in case a warranty issue came up

Wait wrong responce to aquestion, that I was thinking about yesterday.....

Ok I will go away now

Old 07-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I have an 07' Ultra that I thought had way too much front end buffeting from the wind. I removed the wings from the fairing and I couldn't believe the difference. I don't get as much front end buffet but I get more head vibration. I get alot more wind into my chest and up to my head. So I will take my wings on a long trip and experiment more with them but I agree your problem may be wind and not engine. T.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:32 AM
Wcross
Tourer

Not to be an a$$, but this is posted twice in the general area also. This makes for the same question 3 times from the same guy with a total of nine posts. I'm not quite sure what different answers can be given to the same problem or what's expected. Good luck anyhow.

Old 07-03-2007, 06:48 AM
1SG
Advanced

Switch helmets (if you wear one) or take off your visor.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:17 AM
04harleyboy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: marvincbr

Mine jumps around like crazy at idle, but don't even notice after take off. Cruizin speed is smooth as can be.
Same here, no noticable shake after you take off.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:27 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

I have an 07' Ultra that I thought had way too much front end buffeting from the wind. I removed the wings from the fairing and I couldn't believe the difference. I don't get as much front end buffet but I get more head vibration. I get alot more wind into my chest and up to my head. So I will take my wings on a long trip and experiment more with them but I agree your problem may be wind and not engine. T.

Two words....FORK BAFFLE

Quick Reply: Need your opinion on vibration...