Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 FLHTK - Disabled Security

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 08:18 AM
GuitarKidd
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2016 FLHTK - Disabled Security

My 2016 FLHTK came from the dealership with the security disabled, so it came with only the barrel key and no fob. I want to get a fob and a replacement key which I can get the from my local HD Dealer. Will there be any issues re-enabling security? Is this a process that is easily done?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:23 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by GuitarKidd
My 2016 FLHTK came from the dealership with the security disabled, so it came with only the barrel key and no fob. I want to get a fob and a replacement key which I can get the from my local HD Dealer. Will there be any issues re-enabling security? Is this a process that is easily done?
If your dealer disabled it, he should be able to re-enable it! For free IMHO, especially if you buy the fob (get two) from them. They may need to be 'paired' to your bike.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:27 AM
GuitarKidd
Intermediate
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
If your dealer disabled it, he should be able to re-enable it! For free IMHO, especially if you buy the fob (get two) from them. They may need to be 'paired' to your bike.
I bought it from a non-HD Dealer. Is the process to enable the Security done via just reprogramming it?

Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

Before spending any money, you should review the user problems with the security system. While MOST of the problems are from owner ignorance caused by not reading the manual and setting their own PIN, combined with a fob battery failure, the security system seems to keep OWNERS from riding far more often than it prevents theft. There are thousands of bikes without the security system, mine included, that seem to have no higher a theft rate than the bikes with security systems. Read up on the security system problems and then decide if the bike is just the way you really want it right NOW.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:58 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by GuitarKidd
I bought it from a non-HD Dealer. Is the process to enable the Security done via just reprogramming it?
I've never had to have it done on a Harley, to be honest, only on a bike with an aftermarket system on it, but making a new fob work required an 'expert' with the right equipment.

As for using a bike with a security system, I've been doing that for almost thirty years now and never had any problems. My Sporty has an H-D system installed from new, my Glide and Buell have aftermarket ones. Any problems to date have only ever been down to a dead fob battery - usually in the 'spare' fob! Theft of vehicles is a serious problem over here, so we are used to owning and operating vehicles with them fitted. In fact even my 1974 Harley, bought new, had a key-operated factory security system fitted from new. I wouldn't be put off any vehicle, no matter how many wheels, with a decent security system installed. Just don't leave a fob in close proximity of your bike (or car etc)!

Old 10-08-2018, 09:20 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
the security system seems to keep OWNERS from riding far more often than it prevents theft. There are thousands of bikes without the security system, mine included, that seem to have no higher a theft rate than the bikes with security systems.
These above statements cannot possibly be known. How could anybody possibly know how many thefts have been prevented by a security system? Or how many thefts occurred to bikes with, or without, a security system?

My experience is this: I rode my scooter to school, UNLV, everyday for several weeks. I put a dog 'choke chain' collar through the rear wheel. Then one day I was late for class and didn't use my 'security'. When I returned after class my scooter was gone. Sometimes even a minor impediment to an easy theft is beneficial.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Red face

Originally Posted by rjg883c
I put a dog 'choke chain' collar through the rear wheel. Then one day I was late for class and didn't use my 'security'. When I returned after class my scooter was gone. Sometimes even a minor impediment to an easy theft is beneficial.
Some years ago friends went to a major road-race track for the day and chained their three bikes together in the car/bike park. When they returned all three had gone! It's as if somehow they had all been spirited away at the same time. So mechanical security has it's limitations. There's no certainty an alarm system would have helped either.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:35 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 558 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Some years ago friends went to a major road-race track for the day and chained their three bikes together in the car/bike park. When they returned all three had gone! It's as if somehow they had all been spirited away at the same time. So mechanical security has it's limitations. There's no certainty an alarm system would have helped either.
I don't believe mechanical security is a guarantee of no problem. We had an armored car robbery, the entire car was stolen, here a few years ago. Thefts can't always be prevented. I merely offered my experience has an example that it sometimes can help by making a theft not quite as easy.

It is up to the OP to evaluate the pros/cons of a security system.

Last edited by rjg883c; 10-08-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:36 AM
Kenrbass
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure it has security? Does it have abs brakes? Normally limited's "tk" had it

Last edited by Kenrbass; 10-08-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:40 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 30,983 Likes on 11,631 Posts

Security systems keep honest people honest, and if you are lucky send a thief to an easier target.

Quick Reply: 2016 FLHTK - Disabled Security