Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

07 R/G smokes when decellerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 02:03 AM
procarlo
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 R/G smokes when decellerating

Hello All:
New here but not new to riding.
Recently bought my first brand new Harley, a 07 road glide. I am learning to live with the tin can rattle noisethe bike makes but just recently noticed oil puffing out the left exhaust pipe when islow down and getoff the throttle. It doesnt smoke at idle or when i throttle it up. Has only 600 miles on it with rheinheart true duals, S/E controller & S/E A/C.
I checked the plugs and they look nice and grey. Also seemed to notice this only happens when the motor is hot after riding a while.
Local H/D mechanic says dont worry about it but like i told him, I have a custom with an S&S 124 and it never has smoked like this.
Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 08:41 AM
mariner227
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 R/G smokes when decellerating

I'd keep a close eye on oil consumption. Your rings should have seated in the first 100 miles. It sounds like you may have a problem.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: procarlo

Hello All:
New here but not new to riding.
Recently bought my first brand new Harley, a 07 road glide. I am learning to live with the tin can rattle noisethe bike makes but just recently noticed oil puffing out the left exhaust pipe when islow down and getoff the throttle. It doesnt smoke at idle or when i throttle it up. Has only 600 miles on it with rheinheart true duals, S/E controller & S/E A/C.
I checked the plugs and they look nice and grey. Also seemed to notice this only happens when the motor is hot after riding a while.
Local H/D mechanic says dont worry about it but like i told him, I have a custom with an S&S 124 and it never has smoked like this.
Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Thanks
Smoking on decel is usually a sign the valve seals are worn or, in your case, not broken in yet or properly. Since it is smoking out of the left muffler it would indicate the rear cylinder is the culprit. I would think this is not normal, but I would give it more time and watch oil consumption, which should be near zero for that bike. How did you break it in? Varying the speed is important for the first few hundred miles, which helps suck oil into tight valve guides and seat rings. If you haven't already, change the oil early using Castrol GTX 20w50, HD 360, or equivalent (i.e. not synthetic) and notice if it improves. Change to synthetic after about 2k miles. Did you do a dyno tune after installing SERT on a new motor?

Old 07-01-2007, 03:08 PM
Hogtoad
Cruiser

Yeh sounds like the valve seal may not be working like it should. IMHO

Old 07-01-2007, 03:13 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep, use avery good quality oil in it and change the filter.
Put about another 1000 on it and then recheck it, give the rings a chance to seat.
Then if persists do a compression reading.
Then if need be force the issue.
could be nothing but could end up something

Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 AM
procarlo
6th Gear

Hey guys thanks for the replies.
I have been watching the oil and NO consumption at all.
I did the break in as the dealer told me, varying the speed and rpm's. I been watching both plugs every day and no sign at all of oil on them. From what i was told by the dealer, they did dyno the bike after the sert was done but i have no paper work proof to prove it.
I did notice today while riding in cool weather it took some time for it to puff out a little bit of smoke which had a terrible burn smell to it. First thing tomorrow i am going to change the oil and see what happens.
I'll keep yah posted
Thanks Again: John

Old 07-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Might be a stretch here but are you surethe smoke iscoming out the left pipe? and not a leak dripping on the left side pipe? Just a thought.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:23 AM
procarlo
6th Gear

Any suggestion helps.
positive not a leak, and definately out of the left muffler. I have had a few friends follow me close and it happens when i slow down.
not all the time and only when the motor is real hot.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:34 AM
Bryan1724
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: procarlo

Any suggestion helps.
positive not a leak, and definately out of the left muffler. I have had a few friends follow me close and it happens when i slow down.
not all the time and only when the motor is real hot.
Did you run your hand underneath the primary cover to make sure it's not dripping out the primary drain plug or a drip every so often out the gasket of the primary. If so and all checks out, I'd say it's a valve guide seal as the others have said. If it was rings it be blowing smoke all the time.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:53 AM
procarlo
6th Gear

yes, put it on my lift and checked the entire bottom of the motor and frame.
I was thinking the same as you especially when i could smell it burning but definately no leaks anywhere.
I think i will change the oil tomorrow and see what else happens. If it continues then back to the dealer i go.

Quick Reply: 07 R/G smokes when decellerating