Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just ridden my first harley

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 05:59 PM
harley roadglider
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default just ridden my first harley

Hi all. New member here, first post.

I was a previously a sport bike rider (not one of the crazy ones). And I've been test riding all kinds of bikes this past summer trying to decide what my next bike was going to be. I'm tired of my *** and my back hurting, and that's only after test riding a bike for 30 minutes.
One of the bikes I tested was the Suzuki GSXR 1000. It was alot of fun, cornered great, lots of power, but it was too much power. More suited for the track. Ever since I started driving commercially, first with semi, then eventually to Greyhound bus, I started to see all the crap on the road, with what people would do with these machines. I get my kicks around 140 km (about 85mph) to 160 km (100mph)so I don't need stupid amounts of power.

I never originally liked to ride cruiser style bikes, but as I progressively went from sport to sport touring, suddenly my wife expressed an interest in coming along and since sport and sport touring was unlikely a comfortable way for the two of us to travel, I eventually ended up at touring.

Thus I tried a 2006 Road Glide. Although it was my first time riding a 800 lbs motorcycle, I loved every second of it. I was impressed with power and tourque that was at my disposel without having to shift gears much, and the fact that it had a really good quality stereo in it (the same kind of stereo that you find in BMW cars).

Congrats, you have another person converted to harley. And I'm only 26.

Now that you have read my long winded story. If I was to go with adding the stage II big bore kit, a couple of supper trapps with a power commander and custom mapping, would the power differance be like night a day? I did look at the harley website's dyno chart for the big bore and it looked immpressive.

I've been looking a this site for the last few weeks, and it seems that people like the road glides.

Thanks for the help.

Brett

Vancouver BC Canada

Old 10-22-2005, 06:56 PM
jfanton
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: just ridden my first harley

Cool, another convert...

I'm waiting on an '06 Road Glide in Black Pearl myself, ETA 11/11. Can't wait, but I'll never part with my '97 Softail. Can't advise on the big bore kit as I'm only going to do minor performance mods.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:05 PM
brohrs
Road Captain

JFanton how much do you have in your bike?

Old 10-22-2005, 07:19 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Coming from the sportbike I feel the same way. I've still got my 954RR, but I love riding the Harley ALOT more. I can actually view the scenery instead of watching out for the curves and such.

I'm sure you will like the Harley and I'm hoping to do the BB Kit over winter or next year. Just a heads up I would go with the SERT instead of the PCIII.

Make sure to post up some pics when ya get it.

Old 10-22-2005, 07:26 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: brohrs

JFanton how much do you have in your bike?
30k...

Old 10-22-2005, 08:25 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley roadglider

Now that you have read my long winded story. If I was to go with adding the stage II big bore kit, a couple of supper trapps with a power commander and custom mapping, would the power differance be like night a day? I did look at the harley website's dyno chart for the big bore and it looked immpressive.

I've been looking a this site for the last few weeks, and it seems that people like the road glides.

Thanks for the help.

Brett

Vancouver BC Canada
Brett,
The 95 Stage II, pipes and tuner made a huge difference on my bike. I was disappointed with the stock performance, but very pleased with how it runs now.

Steve

Old 10-22-2005, 11:27 PM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by the dealer not to wast my money on the race tuner, that the map they install after the big bore stage 2 would work just fine. Do you think I should reconsider?

Old 10-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SubZer0

I was told by the dealer not to wast my money on the race tuner, that the map they install after the big bore stage 2 would work just fine. Do you think I should reconsider?
I was told just the opposite, that the downloads didn't work and I needed the SERT. Go figure! The Dealer installed mine at no charge.

Steve

Old 10-23-2005, 09:55 AM
Papamte
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with Steve on the big bore kit. Even though I didn't have it when it was stock, I have more than enough power now. The Harley flash still comes from the same EPA standards as stock so it will still be a bit lean If you do the stage II kit, get a PowerCommander or a race tuner or something to adjust the fuel. You can bypass the expense of the Harley flash if you go with the PowerCommander and by all means get it dynoed. I just got mine dyno tuned and the smoothness and power were impressive. I'm a very happy camper now!

Note: It takes a lot to impress my wife, and after the dyno she told me that she loved the way the bike runs and sounds now.

Old 10-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

You will love the 95 kit. Go with the Race Tuner instead of the PCIII. A little more expensive but worth every penny. I love the power (especially at about 3000 rpms). Make sure your dealer knows what they are doing when tuning the bike. You really need to have it dyno'd.

Terry

Quick Reply: just ridden my first harley