Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New loud ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 03:01 PM
LateRider
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New loud ticking noise

2011 Ultra Limited, 40K miles. High flow air filter, stock heads, CVO slip-on's. I know it's a Harley and makes noise. Took it to the dealer and got the old "I didn't hear anything unual" bit. This noise just started recently and is consistent from start up to high speeds. It doesn't seem to matter whether I'm sitting still or rolling down the highway at cruising speeds. It does seem like its a little less when clutch is pulled in. The only thing I've done recently is have a new front tire put on. I will say that it doesn't seem to have the zip when I crank on the throttle that it has in the past. It's kind of like it boggs down and is struggling on the throttle. I've ran a couple of tanks of gas through it so I don't think its the gas. I have check most of the exhaust bolts and clamps but nothing seems loose. I'll try to post a video of the sound when I get a chance. It's not a tapping noise more like a loud ticking sound. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

That’s HD’s trade-in monitor that they’ve started adding to all their bikes. It comes on at the 7 year/40k mile mark and persists until traded in. Once the dealer reassigns the bike, it resets.

Perhaps a lifter? Lifters are often changed at 40-50k as they are wear items.

Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Sounds like a lifter not pumping all the way up. Could also be rocker shaft noise... very common. Have a look around my website, might be just what you need.

Easy non-invasive possible cure.... change to Spectro 25-60 DINO oil..... lots of folks find it quiets things down.

Good luck in the hunt

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by ROCKOUT Rocker Products:
hbsoldier3 (10-01-2018), mctraveler (10-05-2018)
Old 10-02-2018, 07:45 AM
MegaJohn
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

2009 EG UC here... I sometimes hear a ticking noise too... but it doesn't seem to do it all the time. The other day I noticed it and poked around... that day it turned out to be my lower fairing vent rattling. It always seems to come from the right side of the bike... I think it's mostly normal head noise echoing off the lower fairing.

Good Luck!
John.

The following users liked this post:
rjheff (10-02-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:53 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

You are leaving everyone to GUESS if the ticking frequency varies with engine rpm, changes with each shift, or varies with speed, ticking rate always the same at a given speed regardless of gear selected. YOU know, but no one else does.

Old 10-04-2018, 02:14 PM
LateRider
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No it doesn't seem to vary based on rpms or speed. Obviously the faster the rpms the louder the engine and the pipes so it's not as profound. I'm trying to load this video recording but it's a large file.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:40 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Your best bet is to put it on a lift and start snooping around while it's running at various RPM's. You can use a stethoscope to isolate if it's coming from the engine and if so where. I will say though with all this plastic noises tend to bounce around. Often times where you think the noise is coming from when you're riding isn't exactly where it is. I have had this happen a couple of times.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:04 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

If it DOESN'T follow engine rpm OR speed, that begins to hint that it is a rattle, not an engine or wheel related noise.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:11 AM
batman.
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

On my 14 ag I had what sounded like a lifter ticking it ended up being the right driver floor broad when I scrapped it it lifted slightly and then rattled when off the bike. while riding it wasnt loud again road noise and helmet noise couldn't hear it. finally crawling around the bike pushed the floor board down not even enough to feel the move but noise went away. noises play tricks on our ears at times. good luck.

Batman