Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 ultra missing

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:44 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default 2013 ultra missing

Been having a power surge feel going up hills. 95,000 miles.Today held throttle at 3500 rpm going about 80 mph up hill , started to miss really bad just as I got to the top . Sounded like back cylinder , back firing through pipe. No engine lights , let off throttle started running great , made it home. Coil , Valves ,stock everything. What do you think?

Old 10-01-2018, 03:10 PM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 161 Posts

How old are the plugs? How old is the fuel
filter? Where you at high elevation? Did you check for codes?

Old 10-01-2018, 03:58 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Plugs not quite 5,000 miles , fuel filter done about 34,000 ago. Never saw a cel on. elevation not nuch.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:18 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

That's a fuel flow problem for sure. You might want to disconnect and re-seat both sides of the quick disconnect hose the feeds the throttle body. That hose is a common problem for many of the bikes of that age. There is a small rubber seal that is part of the quick disconnect side sometimes that connection just needs reseating. But I had one that continued to give me problems till I replaced it. About a $50 part.

Old 10-01-2018, 04:41 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Inread the thread title and thought someone had stolen this guys bike...

I agree with the fuel delivery theory.

Old 10-07-2018, 07:09 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member

Turned out to be holes in line from fuel filter in gas tank. Last done at dealer............

Old 10-07-2018, 08:54 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Dealer should have recommended replacing the all the fuel hoses in the tank when replacing the fuel filter. That's very common from them to go soon after being disturbed. More often than not, we recommend replacing them but MOST owners decline … so we put that statement in the repair order and when they return to complain, we show it to them.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:18 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
Dealer should have recommended replacing the all the fuel hoses in the tank when replacing the fuel filter. That's very common from them to go soon after being disturbed. More often than not, we recommend replacing them but MOST owners decline … so we put that statement in the repair order and when they return to complain, we show it to them.
hmmmm....I did my fuel filter on my 2012 Ultra three-ish years back, how difficult is it to replace the hoses in there too? is it just part of the assembly one pulls out of the tank when putting in the filter? Been a few years, so cannot recall the assembly well once it was out of the tank. Thanks.

Old 10-07-2018, 09:51 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by F150HD
hmmmm....I did my fuel filter on my 2012 Ultra three-ish years back, how difficult is it to replace the hoses in there too? is it just part of the assembly one pulls out of the tank when putting in the filter? Been a few years, so cannot recall the assembly well once it was out of the tank. Thanks.
It's not difficult but tedious … small places for big hands. Two to four hoses depending on which model you're working on. Common mistake made by most people is not getting the bail on correct behind the bracket that holds the fuel filter on or not seating the pressure regulator housing correctly in the bracket resulting in a blown out o-ring. The top plate gasket and self sealing screws should be replaced anytime the top plate is removed. HD has recently redesigned the self sealing screws so that it would appear they could be reused but I haven't tried yet. Easiest to remove all fuel before doing any of this. I syphon the majority of the fuel out and then pull the remaining small amount with my mity-vac.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:48 PM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,289 Likes on 848 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
It's not difficult but tedious … small places for big hands. Two to four hoses depending on which model you're working on. Common mistake made by most people is not getting the bail on correct behind the bracket that holds the fuel filter on or not seating the pressure regulator housing correctly in the bracket resulting in a blown out o-ring. The top plate gasket and self sealing screws should be replaced anytime the top plate is removed. HD has recently redesigned the self sealing screws so that it would appear they could be reused but I haven't tried yet. Easiest to remove all fuel before doing any of this. I syphon the majority of the fuel out and then pull the remaining small amount with my mity-vac.
Thanks, yea my hands wouldnt' fit anywhere, was a PITA to get assembly out of tank.

I'm not due for this anytime soon but when I do it again in a year or two will give it a deeper look once I get the parts out of the tank. That was the tough part.
And yea, I rode the tank down to nearly "E" before doing the work! lol.....

Related note - one issue I had when I picked up this used 08 Ultra a few years back, it had clearly sat awhile. When doing some maintenance I noticed the quick-connect gas line under the left side of the tank was leaking. Thanks to this forum- I diagnosed it as an old o-ring and with a dental pick, removed the old one and put in new one. I used an o-ring same size as the oil drain plug, I recall many discussions on that in many threads. Been all good since. This forum is a great resource.

Last edited by F150HD; 10-07-2018 at 01:50 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 ultra missing