Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken spokes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 10:04 AM
fatster74
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken spokes

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, I own a 2007 Road King Classic. Last year my spokes on my rear wheel came loose, I had them tighten. Then this year I discovered 7 broken spokes, I changed the rim with a used rim. After less then 500 miles I discovered those spokes broke. They always break from the hub

Old 09-29-2018, 10:10 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,401 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Spoke wheels look cool but suck. if the person that did the spoke work is not really good at it that will cause failure and most are not good at it. You could have other issues but a used Wheel you never know what you are getting

Old 09-29-2018, 10:11 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 49,991 Likes on 19,391 Posts

Buchanan Spokes ... The best there is

Old 09-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Spoke work is a no-brainer and if you spend 5 minutes with the book you will be an expert.
I will hazard a guess and I bet I am right 'Inferior product" from China!
One of my first jobs at a HD was lacing wheels.
I was low man and no one wanted to do it.
It took me about 2 hours for the first one.
I never had one come bac and in those days most wheels were spoke.
Even my own bike which had over a 100K on it never popped one.
So , I am at the conclusion you have junk spokes.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:29 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,670 Likes on 6,425 Posts

Yes I have had the problem. But since I am inherently lazy I replaced them with cast wheels. If you don't have the spokes installed/adjusted properly it can easily be a recipe for disaster and takes the term death wobble to a whole new level. But that being said, I just bought a 52 fat spoke wheel to go on my RGS. I am both lazy and slow. LOL...

Last edited by nobodyknowsme; 09-29-2018 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:39 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,763 Likes on 3,119 Posts

Originally Posted by fatster74
Wondering if anyone else has had this problem, I own a 2007 Road King Classic. Last year my spokes on my rear wheel came loose, I had them tighten. Then this year I discovered 7 broken spokes, I changed the rim with a used rim. After less then 500 miles I discovered those spokes broke. They always break from the hub
Yes, they DO snap at the hub. Loose spokes are the one's that break. Always a good idea to inspect your wheels when you inspect your brakes. Especially if you take a hit from a curb or pothole. Especially if you ride "2-up."
Pay special attention to rear wheels.
While laced wheels look great, they ARE weak when it comes to taking energy.

Consider this... The entire weight of your bike is literally "hanging" by the spokes on the upper half of your wheels. Remember, spokes only "pull", they do not "push" down. Kinda weird, huh?

You might have to go to a "mag" style wheel on the rear. Luckily, the RK rear wheel in all but hidden because of the full fender and saddle bags.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:50 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,401 Likes on 5,516 Posts

Three things I have never regretted see go, Chain drive, Drum brakes and Spoke Wheels. And unless I pick up some really cool old bike just to admire it I don't care to ever have either of those 3 again. Few weeks back stopped in the dealer, rider from out of town needed a tire.
They found 3 bad spokes in his wheel when the inspected it. Not uncommon.

Old 09-29-2018, 10:59 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Your spokes/wheel were not properly trued.
I would have the wheel inspected for damage, and if necessary replace the wheel.
I true bicycle wheels all the time, and it is an art. My Road King has big beefy spokes and have never been an issue. Without a truing stand and a tensionometer, it is guess work All the spokes must be of the same gauge, type, condition, and work in harmony..
They are not simple, but they are brilliant.
After all, NASA selected spoke wheels to use on the rover sent to the planet Mars!
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...el-damage.html

The following users liked this post:
Uncle Larry (09-29-2018)
Old 09-29-2018, 11:07 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,747 Likes on 982 Posts

Originally Posted by fatster74
I own a 2007 Road King Classic and that right there is why my spoked wheels came home from the dealership in the boxes that my HD Thunder Star wheels came in.
I learned my lesson because I had the spokes on my 2000 Wide Glide OEM replaced once and the aftermarket high quality stainless steel spokes re tightened three times before I put a mag wheel on the back of it.

Old 09-29-2018, 12:25 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 862 Likes on 652 Posts

The Road King classic wheels that have spoke issues are usually because the spokes became loose.
The spokes are best tightened with tire, tube and rubber strip removed and then the nub(nut part) can be turned from inside the rim avoiding damage to visible part of nub(nut part).
When the spoke gets loose the spoke holes in the spoke hub become larger making the spoke loose regardless of tightness after a few miles.
A used replacement of the same years might have been exposed to the same problem so a very thorough inspection of the hub spoke holes would be required in order to avoid a repeat.
My opinion is that spoke hole tolerance at the hub was not ideal from about 2007 to 2009 and a loose spoke will ruin the hub quickly.
A well made spoke wheel can easily pass 100,000 miles if the spokes are tight.
I wonder if a mild threadlocker would be a good idea to keep spokes from getting loose.

Quick Reply: Broken spokes