Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken spokes

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 09:24 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,530 Likes on 1,425 Posts

Originally Posted by im
'Snip'
I wonder if a mild threadlocker would be a good idea to keep spokes from getting loose.
That is not what usually makes a spoke "Loose".
The spokes work together in harmony. Sometimes it can be something 180 degrees away that contributes to the issue, or one or some have deformed and is not pulling it's share of the load.
Proper spoke action keeps the wheel aligned side to side as well as round. Many people may not know, but all spoke wheels are not actually "Centered". Some have more degree of "Dish" to one side or the other to provide clearance for hubs and such, and some may use different types and sizes of spokes on each side with different tension values. Some are basically wire, some are bladed, some even have stress relief designed in via a combination of gauge along the spoke known as "Double Butted Spokes".

Old 10-02-2018, 10:19 PM
Seahorse
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear and agree with the idea that the spokes should be kept tight, but what is the proper torque? I have the wheels off the bike and waiting for new tubes so I put a torx bit on a few of the spokes. Some were really loose so I tried to get them all the same while keeping the wheel as true as possible.

Old 10-03-2018, 05:48 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Seahorse
I hear and agree with the idea that the spokes should be kept tight, but what is the proper torque? I have the wheels off the bike and waiting for new tubes so I put a torx bit on a few of the spokes. Some were really loose so I tried to get them all the same while keeping the wheel as true as possible.
they all should have a degree of tight to snug.
you just can not go wrenching on them because it will pull your wheel out of TRUE.
the older FSM showed how to llace and true them.
pretty simple really.
no magic required