Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall, need to move farther back

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall, need to move farther back

I am 6'1" and I feel like I am sitting on top of the gas tank and too close to the handlebars. I have a 07' Ultra with a stock seat. I took off the backrest and that doesn't help much. I have an 07' Kawasaki Nomad as well and it is 3" longer. The Kawasaki is way more comfortable to me and I wish I could get farther back on the Harley. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get farther back on the Harley?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:00 PM
dspencer
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Tall, need to move farther back

Might want to try HD Tallboy seat for the ultra. It sits a little higher and moves you back some (1/2 inch I think). I have one and it does seem to make a difference. Hope that helps

Old 06-30-2007, 08:03 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ultrasweet

I am 6'1" and I feel like I am sitting on top of the gas tank and too close to the handlebars. I have a 07' Ultra with a stock seat. I took off the backrest and that doesn't help much. I have an 07' Kawasaki Nomad as well and it is 3" longer. The Kawasaki is way more comfortable to me and I wish I could get farther back on the Harley. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get farther back on the Harley?
Well let me tell you what I found. I just last week spent a lot of time researching on the forums the same thing, only I'm on a RKC not an Ultra. I'm 6'4" and on a stock seat. Added a driver backrest to help back issues and found that it pushes me into the tank.

What I found from researching past comments is that Sundowner seat will move you forward a bit, a Tall Boy seat will move you up and back a bit, a Mustang seat will move you up, and a Corbin seat will move you down and back.

I ordered a Corbin with detachable backrest based on that.

Also, how you liking the Nomad? Saw one at a bike shop the other week. That is a slick looking machine. Component quality seem to be good?

Old 06-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

I love my Nomad and I am in a quandry of sorts of trying to figure out which one to keep or just keep both. The Nomad is more stable in the wind, I guess because the lack of fairing. Has a little less torque but the HP and displacement is the same and they run about the same on the road. The tranny has only 5 speeds but the gear spread is perfect. The leg room is great for me as I said. It is watercooled but I still get some heat off the engine, especially when the fan is on. The handlebars are wider, back tire is much wider. Exhaust note is good but not like the HD. I don't like the fact it doesn't have a trunk or a stereo. It is harder to maneuver at low speeds and in tight places. The engine doesn't look as good. It is half the price of the Harley. All in all it is a great bike and is a great value. If a person wants a big watercooled bagger this is the one. T.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:26 PM
mattshfd
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am 6 foot 1 inch also riding a 03 standard. I had the pillow seat on my bike and that was the first thing to go! I purchased a used Street Glide seat in great shape off of ebay for $150.00 and that does just the trick for me. I would sit on a Street Glide and see what you think.

Also there have been a few posts of this same subject on here. Do a search. There are some brake and shifter levers that improve your foot/leg room and are supposed to be great. I lookedinto them and would have bought themif it wasnt for the price. Im content with the seat I have now.

Old 06-30-2007, 08:52 PM
Ultrasweet
Road Captain

Yes, I have the longer brake and shifter levers. Those work great. I have some Kury hiway pegs and those work as well for getting my legs out a little. I just feel like I am too close to the tank and bars compared to all the other bikes I have ridden. My wife is not large so I can go back some without moving the trunk back. T.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:05 PM
nujohn
Tourer

e-z brake is the way to go and a sundowner touring seat i,m 6'3 with a RKC and now I have no problem

Old 06-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I'm 6'2" and about 240 lbs. with a 32"-34" inseam. I found the HD Tall Boy seat worked well for me on my 1999 and 2007 Road Kings. It moves you up an inch and back about half an inch. Doesn't sound like much, but it does help. Plus, the seat is much more comfortable than the stock seat. I did not get the backrest due to hearing that it tends to push you forward. I did not need a taller windshield after installing the Tall Boy seat.

Andy Engemann

Old 06-30-2007, 09:55 PM
kst8catfan
Intermediate

Ultrasweet,

I'm 6'2", and, like you, felt like I was sitting on the tank with my knees under my chin. I went from an '01 Yamaha RoadStar to the '07 Ultra. I wondered if I'd made a mistake after I signed the papers and drove off the lot and that I wouldnt be able to ride this thing on long trips.

After looking on this forum for ideas, what I've done is: a) bought George's trunk relocation kit to get my old lady off my back (literally), b) bought the HD floorboards that are moved forward about an inch, c) installed the (Kuryakin?) kit that moves the floorboards out about an inch, d) installed a longer front shifter peg so I wouldnt have to "pigeon-toe" to shift.

All the above stuff has helped, but its still not anywhere near as comfortable to ride as the RoadStar I traded. I'd installed a complete floorboard relocation kit on the Star that moved the boards and all the controls forward up to 4" and it was only $150. I'm up to about $600 already on the Ultra just trying to get it comfortable to ride and still not there yet.

One more hint that I got from here and others that I'll try next is to install a Road King seat and dash filler strip. I'm told that the seat from a Road King will move the rider back without moving him/her higher.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:24 PM
precisionworks
Cruiser

The Tallboy® Seat for Electra Glide® Models pretty popular (HD part # 52975-05). This seat moves you back 1/2", up 1 1/4", according to HD. $299 at the dealer, one currently listed on eBay for $260 buy-it-now (item 260132352091).

IMO, the only problem with the Tallboy Seat is that it's impossible to insert the standard backrest, as the backrest support legs are too short for the taller seat. I've modified a number of these by adding 1 1/4" extensions to the support legs. Not hard to do if you have a metal lathe and TIG welder.

Quick Reply: Tall, need to move farther back