Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort 2009 road king vs 2005 electraglide classic

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 06:51 PM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Comfort 2009 road king vs 2005 electraglide classic

which would be more comfy
im aware the 05 classic is a 5spd and to 88
the 09 is a 6spd and I believe 96
im aware of the luggage difference
what im really concerned about comfort
I'm wondering if the newer road king with improvements can compare to the ultra

opinions. Welcome

Old 09-26-2018, 06:57 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

The 09 RK will handle better with the larger frame and 6 gal gas tank and better brakes! But not having a full front fairing may be a negative for some folks. I'd still go with the RK just to get the other benefits.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:07 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 323 Posts

Co.fort, strictly comfort, in stock form, I think I'd give the EG a slight edge.
Having said that comfort can be changed and customized fairly easily.
The 09 is enough of an advancement in technology to make it worthwhile as long as the extra creature comforts (faring, radio, etc) are not important to you.
All in all it's a much more complicated question than it seems.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:15 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Depends.

What kind of riding do you do? What's important to you when you say comfort. Ultra is going to give you more protection from the wind and a stereo. Road King is going to handle better. You going to tour with it or hop around town? Solo or two up?

Regardless of model, the 09 is leaps and bounds better than an 05. New frame, bigger motor, 6 speed and most importantly, the new style hydraulic cam tensioners.

I have both a Road King and an Ultra Limited. Both touring family but totally different bikes. The Road King is my go to when it's just me. I commute daily on it and prefer it to the Limited for that purpose. I only commute on the Limited if it's been sitting for three or for weeks to get e good heat cycle on it and charge the battery. Or when its freezing and want the protection from the wind and it has heated grips and seat I basically use the Limited only for touring or when Momma wants to go for a ride on the weekend.

If you don't need the storage and aren't going to do a lot of travel with it, I'd go with the Road King for the newer upgraded amenities. If you plan on hitting the open road for days at a time, get the Ultra and have the hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade done to it if it hasn't been done already.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:52 PM
fatchoppers
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatchoppers
which would be more comfy
im aware the 05 classic is a 5spd and to 88
the 09 is a 6spd and I believe 96
im aware of the luggage difference
what im really concerned about comfort
I'm wondering if the newer road king with improvements can compare to the ultra

opinions. Welcome
Originally Posted by EdwardK
Depends.

What kind of riding do you do? What's important to you when you say comfort. Ultra is going to give you more protection from the wind and a stereo. Road King is going to handle better. You going to tour with it or hop around town? Solo or two up?

Regardless of model, the 09 is leaps and bounds better than an 05. New frame, bigger motor, 6 speed and most importantly, the new style hydraulic cam tensioners.

I have both a Road King and an Ultra Limited. Both touring family but totally different bikes. The Road King is my go to when it's just me. I commute daily on it and prefer it to the Limited for that purpose. I only commute on the Limited if it's been sitting for three or for weeks to get e good heat cycle on it and charge the battery. Or when its freezing and want the protection from the wind and it has heated grips and seat I basically use the Limited only for touring or when Momma wants to go for a ride on the weekend.

If you don't need the storage and aren't going to do a lot of travel with it, I'd go with the Road King for the newer upgraded amenities. If you plan on hitting the open road for days at a time, get the Ultra and have the hydraulic cam tensioner upgrade done to it if it hasn't been done already.
all great stuff here.
I’m thinking the newer road King also. But keep in mind I have a street bob already for shooting around town.

Old 09-26-2018, 08:19 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by fatchoppers

all great stuff here.
I’m thinking the newer road King also. But keep in mind I have a street bob already for shooting around town.
You have two threads going and I didn't see your other thread until after I answered this one. You didn't mention the Street Bob in this thread.

If you get the Road King, you'll never ride the Street Bob again. The ride is ten times better and once you adjust to the Road King, the Street Bob will seem too small. Get the Road King, sell the Street Bob, then buy an Ultra as a second bike.